Going for my license

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim9251

While I was in high school several friends had their HAM licenses, and I always envied their ability to talk to people in other countries. I took electronics in high school and college and have always been the guy people call when they need their VHS recorders clocks set. Oh this was back in the 60's. Lately, I've become interested in getting my license again. I didn't know cw was not part of the test any longer. I remember some of it, but could never quite master it. Well, from this forum, I've taken some practice tests online for the Technician license and actually remember OHMS Law, radio bands, stuff like that. The first few tests I got in the 70% range, and today have been getting in the high 90% range and several 100%. Going to study and practice test a few hours each day, I'm retired so there's time now, time enough at last. I'm set to take the Technician test on December 5th, and thinking of trying for the General while I'm there. It's amazing that after 40 years, it's all coming back to me and finally I just might be an Amateur Radio Operator!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Well, go for it, then! It's as much fun for me now as it was when I first got licensed, almost 35 years ago.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do it! It was high school for me also when I became interested and here I am today,enjoying my 49th! Girlfriend is taking me for lunch,see ya!:lol:
Good luck!
N9ZAS

RadioDaze

You'll ace your Tech exam for sure. You might even have enough time to get your scores up on the General by Dec.5 if you use sites like HA Info to help you study and drill. Good luck, and if you have any questions, there are a lot of smart and friendly people on this forum. I'm half of one of them. I'm sure folks here would tell you which half :D

jim9251

You'll ace your Tech exam for sure. You might even have enough time to get your scores up on the General by Dec.5 if you use sites like HA Info to help you study and drill. Good luck, and if you have any questions, there are a lot of smart and friendly people on this forum. I'm half of one of them. I'm sure folks here would tell you which half :D

Thank you! I printed out the study guides for Tech and General and will spend a few hours each day with those.

Nubz

sounds great jim good luck
and youll be surprised what you remember i didnt look at a thing about amateur radio for almost 10 years and remember probly 85% of the stuff i need for my tech license
been studying here and there but not a lot because i want to keep it fun if i force myself to do it every day it wont be fun anymore lol

RadioDaze

Thank you! I printed out the study guides for Tech and General and will spend a few hours each day with those.

Immediately after taking a practice test, go through the notes and hilite the part you got wrong and need to study. I was dong that on my practice tests on eHam. When I was missing 0, 1 or 2 questions, I knew I was ready. I still had to wait for the test date, so I kept practicing. By the time I took the actual General exam, I got 100%. But I knew I was nowhere near ready to try the Extra exam. It's an order of magnitude harder, and I'll have to spend many months preparing for that one. But the General is not that much harder than the Tech.

Nubz

Immediately after taking a practice test, go through the notes and hilite the part you got wrong and need to study. I was
this is good advice its exactly what ive been doing
ill take 5 or so tests and write down the parts im having trouble with
and go right to the section in my study guide that covers that part

though i do get constant 85%(been getting a lot of 97's latey though :) ) or more theres so many questions in the pool i think its realistic to end getting a test with all the stuff i dont remember off the top of my head so back to the books it is

jim9251

Exactly what I've been doing. Some of the formulas are killing me but I've been studying them like crazy and started to get the right answers on the practice tests. I've been missing 0 and 1 questions on the Tech exam, and am going to try for the General license while I'm at it. I've been getting 70% on the General practice tests so will keep studying. I'm excited about this.

Nubz

its the math part with the formulas that gets me also
not that i dont understand them or cant do the math its keeping it straight in my head which one to use

KC9NCF

Banned
its the math part with the formulas that gets me also
not that i dont understand them or cant do the math its keeping it straight in my head which one to use

I'm there with ya Nubz! I can think the problem but cannot translate it to hand to work the problem, and will even draw a sort of mental blank with certain math formulas. I have heard of a book called "Men of Mathematics" which is supposed to be good reading. What I do to learn Math formulas is to remember two things that seem to help me somehow. I remember the logic and the overall idea of the math being used. I learn to think the bottom line by numerical pattern in the more general, comprehensive sense. I have somewhat of a photographic memory which also helps me picture the reference material from a text when it can't be present with me at a test.

You'll get that ticket one day for sure! It took me three times to get my first ticket. Keep studying! be encouraged!

kb2vxa

Banned
Don't let the math throw you, while important to a point it falls behind common sense logic being the questions are multiple choice. Eliminate the red herring first, then choose the most appropriate answer and you stand a decent chance of getting it right. This is where memory comes in, remember the questions and THE correct answer to each, never mind all the distractions, one question, one answer. When you take the test the unfamiliar answers are wrong.

For what it's worth I found the most difficult part to be the band segments but logic prevailed. As long as you don't think you can operate on 7015 you'll be OK. (;->) That BTW is the whole idea behind testing today, the FCC has decided the technical aspect is less important than legal operation. You may have noticed that's where the focus of the test is during your studies, no longer do you have to know how to design a Colpitts oscillator and draw a schematic to prove it.

jim9251

This is what I'm figuring out. And I'm taking practice tests 2 to 3 hours a night and am starting to get 100% on the Tech and 80% on the General. Some of the answers are in the "oh that don't look right" category and are easily eliminated. If I don't know the right answer and can eliminate the obvious wrong ones I figure I have a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer anyway. This is actually fun taking these practice tests and I'm looking forward to the real tests...AND passing them.

kb2vxa

Banned
You're ready, go for it! If the examiner asks if you cheated just answer like I did "No, I'm just... uh... wait a minute........ uh, I'm smart!" Oh, and it helps if you can do this.

Last edited:

RadioDaze

Warren, I told you that was a private photo of me, and not to post it publicly!

Jim, when taking the real exam, remember to slow down and take your time. Especially if you have been flying through the practice exams. Read each question and answer choice fully, because the order of the answers (A, B, C, D) might not be the same as it was on the practice tests. Since some of the answers are different by only a word or two, you could accidentally mark the wrong choice even if you truly know the correct answer. Take time to be sure each question number matches your answer form as you mark it - don't get out of sequence or most of them will end up wrong.

If you can't think of the answer to a question and decide to double back on it, make sure you remember to do so. You're better off taking your 25% chance with a guess than leaving it blank.

When done, take the time to go over each one again, making sure the answers are in sequence with the questions, and that you didn't make a brain-fart mistake. The test isn't a race, and you'll kick yourself if you don't get credit for a question that you TRULY know the answer for. And don't stress out... this is all for a fun hobby, the rest of your life doesn't depend on it. If you miss out this time, you'll ace it the next time.

jim9251

Thanks. Not stressing out at all, I'm looking forward to the exam on Dec 5th, and will take my time. I took a 369 question practice test for the Tech and missed 2 so I think I'll do ok on the real exam.I'm taking Tech practice tests on 4 different web sites, so the questions and answers are all a bit different. Studying for General now. I am really looking forward to this. After I pass the Tech and General I want to take the Extra exam for giggles. If I don't pass the Extra, I'll study for it after I get my General license.

Confident huh?

jim9251

I PASSED! I PASSED! I PASSED!

Missed one on the Tech Exam. They were not able to give me the General Exam but I think I would have passed it also.

And, as old as I am, I was in awe talking to these Extra Class operators giving the exam.

Next step General License!

k8tmk

jim9251:

Why weren't you able to take the General exam? I am a volunteer examiner, and we have no problem letting people take whatever test they want.

You do need to pass the Technician test before you can obtain a General Class license, but you can take the tests in whatever order you want. For example, if you pass the General test first, you would be issued a certification document that is good for a certain period of time. If you then take and pass the Tech test during this time, you will be issued the General Class license.

Years ago you had to take your test in front of an FCC examiner, and had to take the tests (called elements) in order.

Randy, K8TMK

jim9251

I dunno I was talking to them about the General exam and was told maybe they will schedule one near me soon.

That's ok, it'll give me more time to study for the both General and Extra!

Status
Not open for further replies.