Taking All Three Exams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I've been studying my butt off for it. At least 50-60 hours of study time. I'm feeling confident about going from zero to Amateur Extra in one go. Wish me luck Saturday!

"73"

LtDoc

If you take the practice tests and are getting something like a 70 to 85% grade, I think you'll have a very good chance of coming out of that test session as an 'Extra'. Pay attention to exactly what the question is asking, not what you assume it's asking! And don't skip any questions. Put in an answer even if it's a guess (at least have a chance of that 'guess' being right, and empty 'slot' is always a wrong answer). Good luck!
- 'Doc

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone! On Technician and General practice tests I'm getting 100%. On Extra I keep getting between 80% - 95%. My weakness is sub-element 7. Arghh. :)

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Took my licensing exam this morning in Rolla, MO. Only had an hour of sleep due to anxiety about not passing and excitement as well. :) There were about 10 people there testing. A little boy got his technician license and a new HT. Was pretty cute to see. The VEC's were very friendly and welcoming to everyone.

Well, all the good luck messages helped! I got 100% on Technician and 100% on General. Got 92% on Extra. I'm a new Extra!! Now I'm looking for a radio and when the ULS is updated I'll be on the air!

AgentCOPP1

Wow, going from the bottom to the top in one go haha. Nice. At the moment, I can't really do the next two in line at the same time mainly just because it'd be hard for me to study for both, given the limited amount of free time I have. I thought studying for one test at a time was hard!!!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
You can do it! Study a few minutes here, a few minutes there. It ads up! Believe me. :)

Well, I finally got my call sign! AD0EC. :)

AgentCOPP1

Congratulations! I bet it feels good. I'm hoping to get my general in July since that's the next testing date for me. Now the next step for you is to get your rig set up lol. Have you thought about what radio you want?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Good luck on getting your General class radio license! That exam isn't that much harder than the Technician level. Shoot for Extra!

My YL bought me a Baofeng UV-5R+ along with a whip antenna to talk on the local repeater and I'm looking to get a base station for the 20 meter band. Will try my hand at Morse code. :)

N4CA

Congrats! I got one wrong on Tech, 100% on Gen, but got 56% on the Extra. Of course, I didn't study the Extra material at all and just took it because I could. I'm going to retry the Extra on the 22nd (at the Field Day)...this time with studying! I might as well try for it now before I forget the knowledge from Tech/Gen.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I got a nice laser engraved frame with my call sign for my license. :)

Congratulations on those scores and getting your General license!

Don't spend too much time studying the math questions is the best advice I can give you. Good luck and I hope you get your Extra class license on the 22nd.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that's good, passing all three exams at the same time. Congrats!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I've really been enjoying amateur radio so far. I have been dabbling with the local repeater for the nightly net, skywarn net, and just chatting. Also been using Echolink. Looking forward to Field Day and looking forward to hearing your callsign on the air some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.