New technician class operator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Effective today I am a new ham operator! I tried for my general class but didn't make it. Oh well at least I'm in!

marcin4

Premium Subscriber
Effective today I am a new ham operator! I tried for my general class but didn't make it. Oh well at least I'm in!

Congrats!!! I did the same thing today! Passed technician, tried and didn't get general! But at least we're both in!!! WOOHOO!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The place where I took mine burned down! :twisted:

n9zas

CaptainBeefheart

Premium Subscriber
I share your satisfaction that comes from accomplishment. I passed my Tech day before yesterday. I kinda feel like I did three days before Christmas when I was six. The clock crawls when you are anxious. I'll finally get to plug that mike in within the next few days ...

MisterK33

I TOTALLY know what you guys mean about it being like Christmas: the waiting, etc...

Congrats to everyone who passed Tech (and General). Did the same myself Saturday. What are you guys looking at getting for equipment?

WB4CS

For recommendations on what radios to start out with, here's a few things to keep in mind...

• If you want to start out with VHF/UHF, find out what bands are popular in your area. 2 Meters is pretty active in most places, but some cities have a very active 70cm band. Don't forget 1.25 Meters, there may be some activity there as well.
  • Don't forget about 6 meters! In some part of the country there are a few 6 meter repeaters, and 6 meters can provide some good long distance contacts when the band is open.
  • Even as a Technician you don't have to start out on VHF/UHF. Take advantage of the HF privileges you have as a Tech (or new General). 10 Meters can give some great worldwide DX when the band is open. If you've learned Morse Code, you can take advantage of the CW portions of the HF bands that Technicians have.
  • Unless you live very close to a local repeater, don't start out with only a handheld radio! A 5 Watt HT with the stock antenna won't go very far. An HT will do a little better with an outdoor antenna, but even then 5 Watts won't get into the more distant repeaters very well. Look into setting up a base station using a mobile radio, power supply, and outdoor antenna.
Finding out what aspects of radio interest you the most will go a long way in helping to pick the best first radio for you. Decide if you want to explore digital modes, satellite contacts, long distance contacts, or just chatting with the locals. This will help you narrow down what features you'll need or want in a radio.

Good luck, and have fun!

KD2EQF

Congrats OP and marcin4 and thank you WB4CS for the tips. I passed my exam last week and I can tell that this isn't a hobby one can tackle on their own. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of reading here and hopefully finding a few people that are local to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.