Prepairing for your exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
I am scheduled to take my exam on July 8th, I am wonderingt what I can do to better prepare my self. I have been taking practice tests via the AARL exam review and I am getting a 79-82% There is a couple times where I miss the test only by 4 questions. I am nervous as this is my first exam for my licsense, Any information is greatly appreciated.
-
Quentin

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I recommend a study book like Gordon West's Technician Class instead of the practice tests alone. The tests won't teach you much, as you can see by the test results. You should be consistently scoring in the upper 90s before you take the test. Plus the book includes a lot of useful information you will need as an operator. I read the book twice and started taking the practice tests scoring in the upper 90s before I tested, and only missed one.

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yup, the Gordon West ham exam study books are quite good, that is what I used.

JustLou

I also recommend Gordon West's books. It also helps to get a highlighting pen and highlight the correct answers in the book. It makes taking the test a lot easier if you're only studying the correct answers.

wesm1957

Premium Subscriber
I just orderd Gordon West's Technician Class book. I will have almost 2 months to study before the test is given by the local ham club in my area. I should have done this years ago.

Wes

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I just orderd Gordon West's Technician Class book. I will have almost 2 months to study before the test is given by the local ham club in my area. I should have done this years ago.

Wes

That isn't to bad, just study at least a half hour or a hour everyday until you walk into the test room. Also use these online practice tests listed in this link.

Exam Practice

CaptainBeefheart

Premium Subscriber
What helped me ace my Tech exam

Having a tech background, I already knew about 50% of the material. I read through Gordon West's Tech level book, and then drilled with the flashcard program at eham.com. This program keeps your stats and prioritizes the questions to hammer you with ones you miss until you get them right. I drilled for an hour or so for three or four nights after work before my Tech exam and aced it. Waiting for your new callsign to be posted is MUCH harder than the exam!

gurucharan

Congrats CaptainBeefheart :)
Need your tips on how to sign up for the test in/close-to Sunnyvale area.

Status
Not open for further replies.