Great Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

dksac2

First, congrats to all who got their license for the first time or upgraded !!!!

I have bought quite a few ARRL books as well as some others in order to increase my knowledge of radio and how it all works.
I have many times found the ARRL books a little lacking in explanations and info on some subjects.
I ordered the book "Radio Communications Handbook" for Amazon.com.

It is published by the British-RSGB.

This is not really a book to study for tests, but the info in it will help you pass tests as well as greatly increase your radio knowledge.

If your like me, I have no Elmer close by and want to learn all I can about every facet of radio. I have found this to be one of the best books on the market. It goes more into the how's and why's that almost any other book. Every time I pick the book up, I learn something new and although I don't understand some of the more technical things yet, I have no doubt that this book will make the understanding far easier as I progress. Quite a few plans also, good one's on test equipment.

As I said, it's not a test study guide, but the info it has will help you a great deal as you grow in the hobby. I've been somewhat disappointed with many books I have bought. I learn something from every book, but have found this to be one of the best.

73's, John K

CaptainBeefheart

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Just passed my Tech. I read through Gordon West's Tech book and found it very helpful. I already knew about half of it, but the book filled in the rest.

My next step was to use the excellent flash card program at eham.com for an hour or two after work for 3 or 4 nights before my exam. It keeps up with your stats and drills the ones you miss.

I aced the exam and the VEs wanted me to take the general too, but I haven't even cracked that book yet, and I hope to ace that exam too. I sincerely believe that a true understanding of the material will provide me a more satisfying experience than merely memorizing enough to squeak by. No diss to those who miss a few, they will learn more from experience like we all do. Maybe it's just me, but I like to go in armed with confidence, and the more you prepare, the more confident you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.