Finally, a ham!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterK33

I've been wanting to be a ham for maybe 20 years, but other things kept coming up that kept me from fulfilling that dream. Well, I made up my mind that I was going to do it this summer, and I finally did! Took my Tech yesterday morning and got 31/35 correct (little bummed it wasn't better). Took the General for kicks and giggles, and missed it by 5 questions! I was surprised, since I haven't even studied for it. However, I definitely plan on upgrading since I want to get on those HF bands. Feels really good to accomplish something I've waited so long to do!

FullAuto

Premium Subscriber
Yes, indeed... congratulations! You didn't happen to take your test at the Cranston Public Library did you? If you did, I was probably sitting right next to you. I passed the Tech exam too (and missed the General by one)! Oh, well. I guess I'll study up and try again next month.

MisterK33

@FullAuto: Yup, I was there (#2). Were you #1? Myself, I'm not sure if I'm going to try for the General before the end of the year; depends on what the work schedule is like come Sept (I teach). However, we'll hopefully get our tickets soon, and maybe I'll catch you on 2m :thumbup:

CaptainBeefheart

Premium Subscriber
Congrats! I passed my Tech on Sat.. Now the wait ... it shouldn't be too long, but reminds me of being a kid 3 days from Christmas. Have fun!

FullAuto

Premium Subscriber
@MisterK33: I was the guy farthest from the door (gray hair, glasses). It would be cool to have a simplex QSO with you from Worcester to Providence. But first I think I'll have to upgrade from my Baofeng UV-5RE and rubber duck! :D

I will likely take the General exam again next month. I'm glad that the CW entry requirement is gone, but I still feel the need to learn it. I'll give myself a year.

@FullAuto: Yup, I was there (#2). Were you #1? Myself, I'm not sure if I'm going to try for the General before the end of the year; depends on what the work schedule is like come Sept (I teach). However, we'll hopefully get our tickets soon, and maybe I'll catch you on 2m :thumbup:

MisterK33

@FullAuto: Nice to meet you last Saturday! I'm probably going to pick up a Baofeng UV-5R+ (almost the same radio) w/some accessories (including better antenna) next week through Amazon, since the prices there are pretty good; I just don't have the $ for one of the big 3 right now. Hopefully I can get maybe 2 mobile units some day and put one in my truck and the other in the house.

Congrats on getting that perfect score on the Tech, too! When I left, you were still working on the General, and I was pretty much convinced that you were going to pass it also, seeing how you did on the Tech and having a prior license. It is nicer to not have to worry about the CW :)

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
@FullAuto: Nice to meet you last Saturday! I'm probably going to pick up a Baofeng UV-5R+ (almost the same radio) w/some accessories (including better antenna) next week through Amazon, since the prices there are pretty good; I just don't have the $ for one of the big 3 right now. Hopefully I can get maybe 2 mobile units some day and put one in my truck and the other in the house.

Congrats on getting that perfect score on the Tech, too! When I left, you were still working on the General, and I was pretty much convinced that you were going to pass it also, seeing how you did on the Tech and having a prior license. It is nicer to not have to worry about the CW :)
If you guys arent far apart you can QSo on a Baofeng with 5 watts but only if the bands are right. The Baofeng Uv-5R is a solid radio for the price. I just ordered my first 'real" radio so I'm still in the Baofeng "club" programming can be a little bit hard, but if you upgrade the antenna it will sure perform. I have a Diamon SRJ77CA and its a direct fit with no adapters necessary..

Congrats on your licenses and good luck!

FullAuto

Premium Subscriber
MisterK33@: You finished both tests faster than I did, so I assumed you passed the General. I got a little self-conscious being the last one keeping all the VEs hanging around. When I finished the General, a VE graded it and said I passed with the max wrong answers allowed. Then, as a double check, another VE re-checked and found that I had missed one more than allowed. Anyway, good meeting you too.

By the way, the license I had going in is a GMRS license. No test. Just money. Just got it a few weeks ago. Mostly to put my toe in the radio water (and pre-get my FRN) and I like the idea of maybe setting up a GMRS repeater for my family. But it got me reading, and that probably helped on the Tech and General exams.

MisterK33

MisterK33@: When I finished the General, a VE graded it and said I passed with the max wrong answers allowed. Then, as a double check, another VE re-checked and found that I had missed one more than allowed.

Man, what a let-down! Before I left one of the VE's said that I has missed getting the General by 4, then he rechecked it and said it was by 5... maybe they didn't have enough coffee that morning?

73's!

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Man, what a let-down! Before I left one of the VE's said that I has missed getting the General by 4, then he rechecked it and said it was by 5... maybe they didn't have enough coffee that morning?

73's!

That's why when I took my tech and passed and tried the general, I just asked if I passed or failed on it, I didn't want to know the number.

MisterK33

That's why when I took my tech and passed and tried the general, I just asked if I passed or failed on it, I didn't want to know the number.

I gave that serious thought with the Tech, but curiosity got the best of me and I had to know how well I did. For the General, I did the best I could with what limited knowledge I had, so I wanted to see what my "baseline" was.

FullAuto

Premium Subscriber
New call sign: KC1AID :D

It's got a nice ring to it :cool:

It showed up on the FCC page this morning :)
I was surprised that it starts with a K since I live in Massachusetts.

BTW, I've been taking a few sample General tests the last few days. Failing miserably :mad:
Will just have to work harder :D

MisterK33

KC1AIC here! Surprisingly fast turn-around, too. I orderd the Baofeng this morning, along with a better antenna and the programming cable. Can't wait for it to get here!

FullAuto

Premium Subscriber
First QSO!

I know it's kinda silly, but what fun! I was sitting in my living room at about 8:15 am watching C-Span and monitoring a local repeater (about 7 miles away) (which I had just programmed into my 4W Baofeng HT the night before), when I hear "N1DDK listening...". After about 10 minutes, I finally got up the nerve to take the plunge. I hit PTT and said "N1DDK from KC1AID". N1DDK responded from his mobile (he was about to stop listening and head into his workplace). We then had short chat where I learned of a Saturday Ham breakfast at a local restaurant (at 7AM - yikes! Hams are morning people!!!).

So, I guess I'll be getting up early on Saturday!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.