License Issue with FCC and ARRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButlerAlerts

Hello,

I have my GMRS License, WQRF973, but in June 2013 I took my Technician license and passed. The certified instructors said that I passed and to look in the ULS periodically because then I would be able to transmit when I saw my call sign and name there. Ive been looking for about 2 months, and have yet to see it. i think the instructor lost my info or test because its not there. I have a ticket into the ARRL and FCC To see if they can give me one because I already passed my test, and spent all of my money on my new mobile rig, and I dont have $15 to go an retake the test (Even though I already passed it). I know I can't use my GMRS license on HAM, but I need it because I am a Skywarn Storm Spotter, and need to make periodic weather reports. Do you think the FCC will just make me a new callsign since I passed, or make me retake my test again for Technician. I've studied for the past 6 months, can got 29-32 answers correct (Can't remember off the top of my head) but the FCC never mailed me anything. Nothing about my FRN or CORES number.

Thanks and 73's!
WQRF973 (Hopefully will be getting a HAM one shortly)

ButlerAlerts

I was never given a "receipt" if that's what you mean. It was pay, give them your SSN and another proof of identification, and here's your test. I finished the test, and the instructors said I passed, but I think he may have lost it because it was never received by the FCC.

LtDoc

Something 'fishy' about that. If you pass you are given a certificate that says you passed element numbers "whichever ones you passed". If you were not given a certificate then you're up the creek, nothing to prove you even took the test. I think I would contact those VEs and see what the problem is.
- 'Doc

Last edited:
I was never given a "receipt" if that's what you mean. It was pay, give them your SSN and another proof of identification, and here's your test. I finished the test, and the instructors said I passed, but I think he may have lost it because it was never received by the FCC.

You need to contact the VEs who administered the test.

ButlerAlerts

I haven't gotten anything in the mail, and I never heard of this before. I'm gonna try to track down the 3 people that checked the test, hopefully I can. When I do, do I ask them to give me a letter, or have them file a document, or what do I do so I can prove it?

WB4CS

When you pass an amateur radio exam, the VE team is supposed to give you a Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam (CSCE) to prove you've passed the test. Unfortunately there's not much that the ARRL or FCC can do in this situation unless there's a documented paper trail to prove that you passed the exam.

If you did not receive a CSCE when you passed, then unfortunately you may be out of luck unless you take the exam again. You'll need to contact the VE team, if they're doing their job they should have a record that you took the exam. The VE team I volunteer with keeps the physical answer sheet you used along with your FCC Form 605. This way if there's a filing error with the FCC we have the documents and can resend them into the FCC.

Good luck in tracking down the VE team that gave you the exam, hopefully there was simply a clerical error and it can be resolved soon. If they do have your test results and Form 605 they should be able to resubmit it to the FCC. If you do end up having to retake the exam, I'd recommend finding a different VE team to take the exam and be sure you don't walk out of the test session without your CSCE showing you passed the exam.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Them asking for a SSN is a red flag also. The SSN (or TIN) was removed from the forms back in 2003. SSN isn't supposed to be used as identification, and you shouldn't give it out to anyone who asks, unless you are applying for a job, federal benefits, etc.

Sounds like the VEC messed up on this one. If they lost the paper work, see if they'll let you take the test again for free. There is no cost to apply for the license with the FCC, but the VE's can charge for administration of the test, etc.

VE's will also vary on how quickly they process the paper work. Some will do it right away and you'll have your license in a few days. Some drag their feet and it can take weeks. But, it does sound like they messed up. The fact you don't have the paper work showing the successful completion of the test is odd.

ButlerAlerts

How normal is this? I know some local HAMs and they never heard anything like this before. And there are no issues like this on other forums.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is not normal.

Without the certificate of successful completion, you have nothing to prove you took and passed the test.
You are now relying on the VE to have kept some paper work that can be connected to you and will show you took it/passed it. If the VE's didn't do a good job of record keeping, you are likely out of luck.

The FCC is not going to grant you a license unless the VE's file the right paper work. ARRL has no authority to issue licenses and won't be able to do anything for you. In fact, if you are not an ARRL member, they likely won't lift a finger for you.

Basically your only chance here is if the VEs have the paper work.

good luck.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In fact, if you are not an ARRL member, they likely won't lift a finger for you.
All VE teams work through a Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (VEC). You can find the list of FCC-certified VECs here. The ARRL is an FCC-certified VEC. If the VE team that gave the test is working through the ARRL, then the examinee has some recourse through the ARRL.

Yes, the examinee should have been given a CSCE. That is the examinee's only proof that they passed the test. Without a CSCE, the examinee may have to start over.

Yes, the examinee should contact the VE team that gave the test. Since the CSCE is a multi-part carbonless form, the VE team should have a copy of the CSCE. If the examinee passed the test, the VE team should re-issue the CSCE.

If the examinee gets no satisfaction from the VE team, they should contact the VEC that sanctioned the VE team. It's up to the VEC to supervise the VE team.

ButlerAlerts

Talked to the VEC and FCC and looks like im going to have to retake my test. I havent been studying it and just took a test on QRZ.com and keep getting 24 out of 35.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Why do you have to retake the test? Doesn't the VE team have a record of you taking the test at their test session?

ButlerAlerts

No, they did not have any records. And the FCC highly doubts it was a clerical error. Im going to goto a different counties VE Team so it dont happen again.

JustLou

Wow. This is crazy. ....And I thought it was bad when my license upgrade got a little mixed up when I changed my call sign around the same time I took the test.

ButlerAlerts

This left a bad taste in my mouth about the FCC. not so much HAM. And to think these people are incharge of our society, wow.

N4CA

Your situation really sucks, but I wouldn't blame the FCC. It sounds like the VEs you went to weren't doing it right. That's not the FCC's fault.

JustLou

This left a bad taste in my mouth about the FCC. not so much HAM. And to think these people are incharge of our society, wow.

I wouldn't blame the FCC. I think the problem lies more with the VE's that gave you the test. The fact they didn't give you the certificate that you passed tells me they were incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.