Simple Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't say I have started studying yet but I have been looking over the Technician Q&A.

One question: "Which frequency is within the 6 meter band?" Answer: 52.525Mhz... got me thinking.

Is there some kind of formula for converting meters into frequencies? I looked around a bit and found no correlation and saw no analogy for the relationship between meters and frequencies.

Token

300 divided by Frequency, in MHz. In your example 300 / 52.525 = 5.712 meters. The "band" designations in meters are "close", not exact, 52.525 is "6 meters". Of course, the bottom end of 6, 50 MHz, is indeed 6 meters, but other bands may, or may not, actually hit the "correct" value for their respective band designations. Nothing in 2 meters is actually 2 meters, and 20 meters freqs are not close to 20 meters, but rather closer to 21 meters.

The 300 in the above equation comes from the speed of light, roughly 300000 km / second. So why 300 instead of 300000? Because the frequency you expressed is in Megahertz, millions of cycles per second, and each km is 1000 meters, and you want the answer in meters. If you had used the frequency in kHz (Kilohertz) then the formula would have been 300000 / freq (kHz), or 300000 / 52525 = 5.712. So, to put the speed of light in meters you must put the frequency in cycles per second, or Hz, and it becomes 300000000 / 52525000 = 5.712 meters.

Easier to do 300 / Freq (in MHz) in your head rather than deal with all those long numbers ;)

T!

Last edited:

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! And why could I not find that information anywhere?

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
Armed with your explanation I just aced the "T1B - Authorized frequencies; frequency allocations, ITU regions, emission type, restricted sub-bands, spectrum sharing, transmissions near band edges" section of the exam.

N0IU

Is there some kind of formula for converting meters into frequencies? I looked around a bit and found no correlation and saw no analogy for the relationship between meters and frequencies.

Let me google that for you

With all due respect. this is precisely why you should acquire some study material and actually try and learn this stuff instead of just going over the test questions.

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
Let me google that for you

With all due respect. this is precisely why you should acquire some study material and actually try and learn this stuff instead of just going over the test questions.

Haha! I have been looking for that google-auto-fill so I could be a jerk on another forum where I am a know-it-all. Thanks! I downloaded Kindle Cloud Reader and started going through a course last night. Today I have been studying CW, though not required. In the future I will try to keep questions to a minimum. Thanks for looking out for me.

N0IU

In the future I will try to keep questions to a minimum.

I did not mean to imply that you shouldn't ask questions. If no one here asked questions, the rest of us wouldn't have anything to talk about!

There are a lot of people in amateur radio who only do enough "studying" to pass the test and none of it really sinks in then come here and ask questions about stuff that they should know that were covered on the test... like the formula for converting meters into frequencies.

Get this book: Ham Radio License Manual with CD (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual): arrl: 9780872590977: Amazon.com: Books

Your local library may even have a copy. Do yourself a favor and really read it and pretty soon, you will be the one answering the questions instead of asking them.

I would send you my copy, but it is over 20 years old!

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber

Thanks. It is in my wish list and will order very soon. I see there is an individual book for all three licenses. I guess this set of books would be considered "THE" reference series. I started off reading the Q&A's but I can't handle not knowing "why". The Kindle book I got goes into very little explanation, but does give the nuts and bolts of "why". Will be nice to have a complete understanding. The electronic section of the test is pretty basic. I have built a few kits, tube amplifiers, preamps and guitar effects. I have a power supply, scope, Fluke MM so I am prepared for the mechanical side of the hobby. It seems my hobby is to get more hobbies so I know a little about a lot of things but usually don't become a master.
Thanks again, Ron

WB4CS

Good luck on the studying!

There are 2 other books I would recommend that should both be staple items in every Amateur Radio operator's library as a reference guide.

The ARRL Handbook
The ARRL Antenna Book

The handbook goes over almost every aspect of the hobby and gives a good description of how each aspect works. I've been in the hobby for 20 years and when I got a copy last year I learned a lot about digital modes I never even knew existed.

The antenna book covers in great detail how propagation and antennas work, and gives plans on how to build just about every kind of antenna there is. Very detailed and technical, it can answer just about any antenna, feed line, or RF question you can think of.

EDIT: Just like N0IU said, please don't hesitate to ask questions! I would much rather a new ham ask questions and learn instead of winging it on their own and making mistakes. Continue to ask and learn!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.