What are the "must have" books for a new ham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikado

I am currently studying using Ham Test Online. I plan to take both the Technician and General test in about a month. I'm already passing the practice tests for the Technician exam with 90% or better!

To begin with, I plan to buy a handheld radio (probably will be a Wouxun to start), and talk to people on local repeaters. I also saw that the National Weather Service is giving a class next month to become a trained weather spotter. So I'm looking into that as well.

I have been looking at a few books published by ARRL and other sources. I'm wondering what books would be most useful for a new ham? There are so many titles out there. I'm wondering if some of them contain a lot of redundant information. As I mentioned, I'm just starting out with a basic handheld radio. So I'm not too interested (yet) in those books about how to build the mother of all antenna systems. But some other books on procedure and similar topics might be useful.

What books do you all suggest?

ButlerAlerts

The Wouxun is a great band, had a Wouxun UV2D, and bought a Wouxun UV6D and love it!

The weather class can be done online, which would be best. https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_course.php?id=23

All I did was complete both modules, saved the certificates PDF and send them via email to my local NWS and they sent me an application, and emailed it back and was a Trained Skywarn Spotter in a couple of hours. It is a great program to be in!

And if you ever want to get a mobile, I would suggest the Yaesu FT-2900R with 75 Watts, or Kenwood TM-281A. I use the Yaesu and my friend uses the Kenwood, both great for Skywarn.

Good luck!
AJ Ayers
KC3BDP ~ Skywarn Weather Spotter

gejothho

I'm a new ham and I have a copy of the Part 97 rules, a log book, a copy of the ARRL Operating Manual and a copy of ARRL's "Radios To Go".

I also have a subscription to CQ VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.