Online Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello all.
I have decided it's time to step into the ham world and get my license. Question for all of you is, is there an online test I could take or do I have to go somewhere and take it? I know there's a place in my area but it isn't for another month or so.

Thank you!

ButlerAlerts

Yeah, it has to be infront of 3 VE instructors (Which I heard it is changing to 1 soon). The fee is $15.00 (Unless it is like Laurel VEC). The Technician Class is the easiest to do (I passed with 100% and only studied for 2 days). That class is really good for 2 M, 70 CM, and local communications. general is more the HF, which im not into.

My Sites I Used:
Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ.COM
AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice

I suggest you start with the QRZ.com one until you are about 85% Correct and up. (I waited til I got 396/396 Correct) I like this one because it tracks your scores.

The second URL is more like the test. My ARRL Tech. Test was almost exactly like the AA9PW.com site test.

Hope to hear you soon!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yeah, it has to be infront of 3 VE instructors (Which I heard it is changing to 1 soon).
You take the test in front of three Volunteer Examiners. They are not instructors. They may serve as instructors in a different setting, but during test time, they are Volunteer Examiners.

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum which lists the web sites or email addresses for most of the Volunteer Examiner Coordinators. The VECs should be able to provide information about upcoming test sessions in any given area.

Last edited:

N4CA

An important thing to note is that if you pass the technician exam, you can then take the general exam for free. If you pass that one too, you can take the extra class exam for free. So, my advice is to figure out how high you want to go and be prepared for all of them.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

KC0KM

There are several other places to also take practice Exams -- I personally liked eHam.net (eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site) for my practice tests. While QRZ and the ARRL test are fine, they tell you immediately if you have a wrong answer. Which if good for practice tests. However, with eHam, it is more like the test you will take when you go to take the test. In other words, you do not know if you have pass or failed, until you have taken the entire test. I would recommend, you take at least both. Start out with QRZ/ARRL, then when you start getting better switch to eHam, and get used to an actual test.

Yes, there has to be at least three VE's at a test, however, when we test there are often at least six to eight of us, for only two or three testers. It works out well, two do the administration work, two handle the tests, and four of us grade. I have only been a VE since December, but it can be fun.

ButlerAlerts

Thanks milkman21218 for clarifying that, We never have them come close to our area, (Besides 3 Hours away) so I wouldn't know anything about them.

N4CA

Also, I used the Android app, "Amateur Radio Exams". I tried other apps, but found this one to be the best. The free version gives you the technician exam, but you have to get the paid one for the general and extra exams. The apps work better on an airplane where you don't have access to the internet. ;)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
That was the longest 9 days of my life as a 13 year old kid... now you know right at the test site? IPod generation... Waiting has become a lost art.

KD8DVR

Very, very true. That's one of the best things about our team. No waiting! Oh yea, and it,s FREE!

We had one Laurel team here.... Then, an ARRL team who thought it was all a competition started using intimidation and vandalism against the laurel team who dared "compete" with them, and the LVEC team disbanded. Too bad.... very good guys.

milkman21218

That's very sad to hear. If the ARRL team cared about helping people get their tickets they would've welcomed the LVEC with open arms. I am also a VE with ARRL just don't do sessions. Here we have 5 LVEC teams and 1 ARRL team within 30 miles of each other.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, the topic of this thread is online or in-person test opportunities. Let's get back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.