Amateur radio licensees plotted on a map

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
I'm terribly sorry that I don't provide a map (or stamps for mailing).

For the one millionth time, that does not plot people on a map nor does it even give you a list of addresses to feed to some google maps api.
Yes, it does give you a list of addresses (I just did it), and if you understand that people are trying to HELP you, I'll tell you how.

I like to know who I'm helping. Callsign, please.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Guys, take it down a notch.

I've created a new thread.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber

For the one millionth time, that does not plot people on a map nor does it even give you a list of addresses to feed to some google maps api.
Try this: On the FCC site: License Search - Amateur License Search -- enter a zip code (and probably click "Active licensees). When it returns results, ignore the web page contents. Click "Query Download" at the top of the page, and enter your eMail address. Wait a few minutes (you'll get an eMail from the FCC) for the results to be placed in a file for you to download. Skip the "HD" records at the beginning of the file; use the "EN" records.

No map, but hey, it's free.

rapidcharger

Whoops. I'm just checking in here.
I didn't mean to come across as persnickety when I made that "for the millionth time" remark.
Obviously it was persnickety but I didn't mean for it to be. I'll try your technique in #6 when I have two hands to work with that aren't covered in food.
If that's the only way to get the addresses then N4MC must have compiled his own database of licenses in order to plot them on a map. I can see how that would be quite an investment of time to maintain.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
If that's the only way to get the addresses then N4MC must have compiled his own database of licenses in order to plot them on a map. I can see how that would be quite an investment of time to maintain.
That's how all of us that maintained a callsign database did it: We downloaded the FCC data into some kind of database. Then VanityHQ encouraged hams to manually enter their own callsign data for dates prior to the FCC's database creation (August 15, 1999). I managed to get archival callsign data from old CD-ROMs of callsigns from 1988-1999.

Then, all that gives is addresses. Of course, one can get an approximate lat/long from an easy-to-obtain ZIP code database. The hard part is generating the lat/long for each address. There are gov't databases that have that translation, but it didn't appear easy to use. Since new streets are constantly being created, there is ongoing maintenance. I looked into doing it several years ago, and put it on the shelf for "sometime in the future". It's still on the shelf, and will probably still be there when I die, unless someone comes up with an easier to use mapping from street address to lat/long. One might be able to feed addresses to Google; I don't know. Google might not like the amount of data lookup.

The vanity callsign prediction process is not trivial either: Put simply, it's a recursive process.

rapidcharger

It has just come to my attention that QRZ has beat me to it.
There is a grid square and station locator.
GridMapper by QRZ.COM

I was told it was for supporters only. (Which I'm not- yet)
The map loaded momentarily for me then I got an error message saying the site exceeded quota for the map. Apparently, if you have a high traffic count on your google maps api, google will ask you for money and if you dont pay them, they limit you to 25,000 page views per day.

Last edited:

rapidcharger

Just used it. It works fantastic.
Even better than the mapper on vanity HQ which required a zip code. This one doesn't.
And this one lets you open up multiple grid squares at a time and view all the hams in a large area instead of just one zip code at a time.

Case closed I guess. At least until QRZ closes their site.

snm55447

Missed out on this until Government gets their act together..... :/

Federal Communications Commission

We regret the disruption, but during the Federal Government-wide shutdown, the FCC is limited to performing duties that are immediately necessary for the safety of life or the protection of property. FCC online systems will not be available until further notice.

FCC Shutdown Plan
Public Notice on Procedures for Filings
Notice Regarding Pending Section 214 Applications Due to the Lapse in Appropriations
Auction 902 Short-Form Application Filing Window Suspended
Informal Transaction Shot Clocks Suspended During Lapse in Funding
Postponement of October 2, 2013 E911 Location Accuracy Workshop
If you need to contact the FCC to address an emergency situation, please call: (202) 418-1122 or email: FCCOPCenter@fcc.gov.

Telecommunications companies must continue to use the Network Outage Reporting System (NORS), which will remain available during the shutdown, to file reports of telecommunication service disruptions pursuant to Part 4 of the FCC's rules. NORS allows companies to file Notifications, Initial Reports and Final Reports. The information on service disruptions is essential to maintain and improve the reliability and security of the telecommunications infrastructure.

Vacancy announcements for positions that were open for receipt of applications have been closed and will re-open when the Government is operational.

During this time, the FCC is not accepting any deliveries of supplies, or services that have not been identified as necessary for the safety of life or the protection of property.

The Commission has issued a Public Notice concerning procedures for submissions that would be due to the FCC during the shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.