Identification Req'd for HAM ticket..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
After many many years being under the umbrella of my employers
licensing Ive decided to step into the sun and get a ticket of my own...
(Mostly because I want vanity tags!) Though Ill still be using the work
radio when Im in.

Question,What residency standards are there...Do I need to be a resident
of the state where its issued?..

Example,,

My License is in NY,
I Live in PA...
My employer is in MI
I operate in at least 10 other states..

So would I be A-O-K to test in PA...

Or...

Do I need to test in NY,where my Lic is from..
is the ID just to verify who I am for the FCC license?

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Negative, well depends on the person who's asking where you currently live and where your location where the FCC has your registered address on file for instance I live in Florida and I use to live California I kept a PO Box where all the mail went to and my sister picked it up. If you move to a different address and state it's good to update your address to your new location so some won't ask you twenty questions about updating your address I say check and see in getting a PO BOX and your callsign address is located at. If you travel a lot for work stay with the address on file or like I said get a PO Box and have someone check the mail for you just incase you get a letter from the FCC about anything.

Just my two pennies worth.

- Jamie (N4CYA)

n5ims

You must be a resident of the US to get a US ham license (although non residents may also be able to if they meet certain restrictions, but that's beyond your question). It shouldn't matter where you live or where your license is so long as you're able to prove that you are you and the license you're upgrading (if applicable) belongs to you.

One thing I'm not clear on is what type of license are you attempting to get and how does that relate to your employer? A ham ticket is not something that you can use for any business purpose so that shouldn't enter the equation. Your use of the work radio should always be under your employer's license and your use of a ham radio should be under your own license (and you should never use the ham license to talk to your employer or other coworkers about work related topics).

This (--> What to Bring to an Exam Session <--) should help you understand what to bring to a testing session. The part about any existing ham license is only relevant if you're upgrading. For your initial license you'll need to start the tests at the lowest rank (technician) and move up from there as you pass the tests, any existing ham licenses you present will prove that you already passed those exams and you can start testing at the next higher level, bypassing the lower ones your license shows you've already passed.

N0IU

Hi.
After many many years being under the umbrella of my employers
licensing Ive decided to step into the sun and get a ticket of my own...
(Mostly because I want vanity tags!) Though Ill still be using the work
radio when Im in.

Amateur radio licenses are not granted to businesses, only to individuals or clubs. If your employer is using amateur radio for business purposes, they are breaking the law... period.

If you are using someone else's callsign without them being present, then both of you are breaking the law.

And these are federal laws that can carry very stiff penalties and even jail time.

Amateur radio licenses are not granted to businesses, only to individuals or clubs. If your employer is using amateur radio for business purposes, they are breaking the law... period.

If you are using someone else's callsign without them being present, then both of you are breaking the law.

And these are federal laws that can carry very stiff penalties and even jail time.

And since you know my employer you can have an opinion how?...I would suggest you know what your talking about Before you let your fingers fly..I owe you No explanation,Nor will you get one.
So please just pet your lil pooch and Shhhhhhhh!..Cause My Dog will EAT Your dog...

With all due respect, the earlier posts answered my Q..and your nonsense is just unneeded.
Is This what I have to look forward to in the HAM world?..BOZOs that love to add their no fact
opinions...

My apologies to the other respondents...You are the radioreference norm,,helpful and courteous.
this fellow annoyed the hell out of me.

And I thank you again..

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
And since you know my employer you can have an opinion how?
Whether you think it's Scott's opinion or not is immaterial. The rules for the amateur radio service in the U.S. prohibit using amateur radio for business purposes. If you or your employer are doing so, you are violating the law.

You got the correct answer to your original question, so this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.