RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators - New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
I got my mind right today, and am going to keep studying.
Great!
The best of luck to you.

Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2014, 9:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I always liked the eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site practice tests. While the practice tests on QRZ and others are good, eHam is "closer" to the test you will take. The key is to take lots of practice tests -- 3-4 a day, until you starting learning the material. Another hint is keep tack of the areas that you area having problems in. For instance -- if you are having problems on the T5Dxx questions and the T6Bxx questions then these are areas you need to work on. However, if you are getting all of the T1Axx questions then you can spend less time of them. Do not give up, however, if you feel frustrated step back awhile. When I first started to study for my Tech, (I went to a class) I took a practice test -- in the blind -- and passed it (barely). After that I at least knew that I could pass it. Later, as I was beginning to study and take practice tests I was failing (often missing 2-3 too many). I began to get frustrated, so I stopped taking practice tests for about a week or so, however I still was studying. Later I began to take the tests again, and not only was passing, but was getting close to and finally a 100%. When I took my test I aced it -- with a 100%.

Here are a few other hints when you go and take the test:

1) Do not worry, take your time and read each question carefully.
2) If you get stuck, go on to other questions, and come back to it later.
3) Take your time, it is not a race, and the VE's will wait for you to finish.
4) Double check your answers, again carefully reading the questions. (On my Tech, I had went with my gut and answered "A", however, after I double checked my questions, I realized that the correct answer was "D" All the Above, I changed it, and made the 100%)
5) Although not always true, the most detailed and longest answer is most of the time correct one.
6) If you need too, use your scarp paper as a guide to make sure you do not skip a line.
7) Lastly -- relax, take a deep breath and concentrate, you can do this.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 AM

Use an app on your smartphone or tablet. I just passed mine. I used the app for a few weeks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2014, 1:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

If I was you I would buy the book it was more better for me to study the book and after you pass your test you can all ways use it for later use.........
Old 11-18-2014, 2:38 PM

Rules and Regs....ya gotta know EXACTLY what frequencies/bands/modes/power your license class can operate....can't stress enough how much is R&R on the exams....
Old 11-18-2014, 9:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You got this.

I will say that once you get to Extra, it's a lot easier to just learn the formulas instead of memorize the question pool. There are questions that are so old that memorization is the best way to go, but knowing the formulas for how to deal with complex impedances and what happens with RLC problems makes things a lot quicker

I remember the General test in the late '00s being nothing but band edge questions and how to calculate antenna length.
Old 11-18-2014, 9:33 PM

I have always told hams studying for a license " you want to know just enough to pass the test". If after passing if you want to know more then that's the time to dig into it deeper.
Old 11-19-2014, 5:20 PM

i missed my test by one and i was sad but i went home and keep on reading my book. i then went 2 days latter and passed my test i am now KG7PBS
Old 11-19-2014, 5:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdsam2 View Post
i missed my test by one and i was sad but i went home and keep on reading my book. i then went 2 days latter and passed my test i am now KG7PBS

Congrats!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default HamStudy.org

I used HamStudy.org to study for my Tech and General Licenses... passed them both.

What was your aptitude it showed you just before you went and took your test?

I waited until my aptitude was 95% or better to start taking the practice tests. Then I would take the practice tests over and over until my average was at least 90%.

Just a thought, hope it helps! Good luck on your exam!
Old 05-06-2015, 6:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

He has not posted anything for six months. He also showed some concerns of being a convicted felon in another thread. He probably gave up and found something else.
Old 05-06-2015, 6:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
He has not posted anything for six months. He also showed some concerns of being a convicted felon in another thread. He probably gave up and found something else.
Well, if that is the case, he definitely needs to find another hobby!

I see you're a dispatcher. I was a dispatch supervisor for 5 1/2 years for police, fire and medics. Also, was a Deputy for 20 years prior to that. Now working hospital security!
Old 05-15-2015, 1:06 PM

I am taking my Tech exam on Sunday. I have been taking practice exams at hamstudy.org, eham.net, and hamexam.org and consistently get mid-90s on them. The single most effective tool was the flash cards at hamstudy.org. I went through them and through them for 2 days. Before I started those, I was about 50-55% consistently. The first exam I took after the flash cards was a 97%.

Give them a try.

https://hamstudy.org/flashcard/E2_2014
Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
He has not posted anything for six months.
He also showed some concerns of being a convicted felon in another thread.
Maybe he's back in the gray bar hotel.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:41 AM

What tarpleyg said.

You can do online practice tests in advance, and not go to a real test until you always pass the practice tests.

There is no reason to study for months before any test, including Extra. You can memorize the Tech answers in 4-8 hours of study with online flash cards, pass the test, and then once the pressure is off, enjoy learning at your own pace in depth.

I studied one solid day for the General, plus an hour the day before that, and an hour the day after that, and passed with 3 questions wrong (for which I am embarrassed). Now I am enjoying learning so much stuff in detail - I am reading many hours a day and spending time each day on CW - but the test and pressure are behind me so it is fun now.

I started my 8 and 11 year old on that website. My 8 year old is doing it on his own every day - one T-section a day. I think he should be able to pass within two weeks of starting. My 11 year old is not into it as much. I tried it with my 5-year old daughter and it was not sticking.
Old 07-25-2015, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
This is the way to go.
I third this! that is how i got tech
Old 08-03-2015, 6:22 PM

OP, I just passed my Tech exam (missed one - dang it). HamStudy.org and the No Nonsense guide got me through it, BUT...everyone learns differently. You have to figure out the techniques that work for you.

You seem to enjoy deeper reading. Maybe check into the ARRL Tech License Exam manual?

Whatever you do, don't quit on it. One of the best Elmers in my area failed the Tech Exam 4 times before getting through it.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Testing

I recently took my Technician's exam and failed it. I was pretty depressed over it for a week or two but I got over it. My problem was that I was working full time and trying to care for my wife who has a broken hip and not being able to study correctly. Like others, I was doing the online practice exams and not really studying the question pool. I had never seen a lot of the questions on the exam and I was just totally lost. A good friend of mine suggested getting Gordon West's book and going through and highlighting just the correct answers. this is what I have done and now I can study at work and I truly believe that I will pass the next time. Gordon's book is really good and I highly recommend it.
Old 10-02-2015, 1:33 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Good luck! Keep studying you will get it!!
Uniden 536 HP Kenwood TS-2000 Comet 250-B Diamond D3000N
Old 10-02-2015, 5:28 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb5zcs View Post
If I was you I would buy the book it was more better for me to study the book and after you pass your test you can all ways use it for later use.........
keep at it and you will pass. become at least a general and advance your ticket. without us who advance, this hobby would have been dead a long time ago!

Last edited by N5XTC; 10-02-2015 at 5:35 AM..

Tags
amateur, license, radio, technician, test