New Ham waiting on licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vondutch

Premium Subscriber
Hi all. I am new to amateur radio, so new that I am waiting on my call sign to show up on the FCC database.
Its been over a week since I took my Technicians exam and passed. I am anxious to make some contacts, I have my dual band radio set up and I have been listening in and my setup seems to receive really well. I just want to be able to transmit. I am just wondering if it is typical to have to wait this long or am I just being impatient. Thanks!!

-Chris

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Remember, your paperwork has to go from the VE team, to the Lead VE, then off to the FCC. If there's a delay in any of those steps along the way.. Well, you'll notice..

Be patient, it'll come.. And a hearty congratulations on passing the test.. Enjoy the hobby.

Aero125

Our VE teams administer exams on Saturdays. We always get the package sent off to ARRL that same day and our licenses/upgrades always show up in FCC database by the next Friday, and often Thursday night. VE Liaison's are not required to send the packages off for 10 days, and often may wait a couple to finish up paperwork or split up the $15 per test taker to examiners. ARRL rules state each volunteer examiner can claim upto $7 per tester for mileage and expenses.

k6cpo

How long it takes to get your call sign really depends on the VE organization that administered your test. The SANDARC VEC in San Diego, CA submits the information to the FCC electronically, usually the same day or the day after the test is administered. We have had call signs appear in the ULS as soon as the Monday following a Saturday test.

Vondutch

Premium Subscriber
How long it takes to get your call sign really depends on the VE organization that administered your test. The SANDARC VEC in San Diego, CA submits the information to the FCC electronically, usually the same day or the day after the test is administered. We have had call signs appear in the ULS as soon as the Monday following a Saturday test.

Wow, that's awesome! I had to turn my radio off, it's driving me crazy not being able to talk. I have spent this past week programming in local repeaters and familiarizing myself with the unit. I'm really looking forward to making my first contact.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ham

I don't know anything about waiting for a ham liscense but I have waited to get my income tax refund so I could buy some communications equipment. I don't transmit because nobody wants to talk to me much. They insist on having "intelligent" communications. Unless I'm working for an intelligence agency I feel I have no compelling reason to talk intelligently.

DCB65

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on passing the test! It took a week or so for mine to show up back in 2010. The waiting stinks but it's a prefect time to program your radio and listen on the local repeaters as you've done!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Not like the old days

I passed my Technician Plus test in July of 1993. I received my license in September - seven weeks later. Waiting a week or so seems like nothing.

Congratulations! At least now you only have to check on line instead of waiting for the paper license.

Vondutch

Premium Subscriber
Well I got it!!! KE0EBN!! Thanks for all the responses. That was a test of patience for sure. I have been reading posts where folks used to have to wait months to get their paper licence, we are definitely spoiled these days. 73!!!

illinois815

Premium Subscriber
Still waiting

I took and passed my Technician test over 2 weeks ago at a local Hamfest. It took 3 hours to take the 15 minute test, and now I'm concerned my paperwork even got turned in. I saved the card showing where I had passed, but not sure what the next step is, except to just wait some more.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
This seems to be excessive. However, the FCC was supposedly changing their computer system and was down for a few days.

You should check the various call sign servers or the FCC. The license may have been processed and you just have not received the form in the mail. You can operate as soon as you receive your call sign on-line. Try HamCallLookup.com -- the world's top ham radio call sign lookup services. It's updated daily I believe. Also try the FCC directly FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home

n5ims

This seems to be excessive. However, the FCC was supposedly changing their computer system and was down for a few days.

A few days? More like over a week. This most likely caused lengthy delays for folks during and shortly after this downtime. They should be getting caught back up now though. It would be appropriate to check with your testing team to see if there are any delays. It could be that they submitted during this outage (so the submission didn't actually happen) and they believe it has. Your query may prompt them to check the status of their submissions and get things moving again.

AC2OY

I took and passed my Technician test over 2 weeks ago at a local Hamfest. It took 3 hours to take the 15 minute test, and now I'm concerned my paperwork even got turned in. I saved the card showing where I had passed, but not sure what the next step is, except to just wait some more.

Illinois they gave the form(605 I think) saying you passed and their signatures and yours on it? Also you get assigned a FCC REGISTRATION NUMBER a FRN that's how you go into the FCC database and check for your callsign,if I remember right it took 11 days for everything to go through! Good luck I hope you get it soon congratulations!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.