For those how have your General License...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
I just received my call sign a couple of weeks ago and have been reading that one should immediately start studying for their general.

My 15 yr. old is going to go for his Technician test soon and I am trying to decide whether or not to get my general the same time he tests.

For those of you who have your general, have you really utilized it? I'm just wondering if I'd really benefit from the upgrade.

Any input appreciated, thanks!

mitbr

I just received my call sign a couple of weeks ago and have been reading that one should immediately start studying for their general.

My 15 yr. old is going to go for his Technician test soon and I am trying to decide whether or not to get my general the same time he tests.

For those of you who have your general, have you really utilized it? I'm just wondering if I'd really benefit from the upgrade.

Any input appreciated, thanks!

If you are interested on getting on more hf bands than the tech lic allows than yes.
Oh and congratulations on your tech license.
Tim

wsykes41770

Congrats on your Tech license.

I have my Amateur Extra license. To me, the wonderful world of ham radio really opened up for me after I got my General license. I originally got into the hobby as a Novice back in 1987. I upgraded to Tech Plus (Technician plus Morse Code) around 1990-91. It wasn't until 2005 or so that I upgraded to General and then Extra a couple of years later.

There are so many facets of this hobby to explore. Upgrading to General is a way to multiply those possibilities. In the HF bands, you can operate contests, and/or ragchew is multiple methods. CW, Digital modes like PSK31, RTTY, and Packet as well as various phone(voice) modes such as AM, FM, and SSB are found on the HF bands. There are too many modes to list here that you can get into with a General or Amateur Extra license.

In the 20+ years I've been a ham, I've played with the repeaters on 2m, 220 and 440, packet, and dabled with APRS. But after getting on HF, I've had the most fun I've ever had in Ham Radio. I've worked contests and special events and have talked to people half-way around the world that I would have probably never had the opportunity to otherwise.

It's your decision to go for your General or not. My recommendation would be to go for it. I also see another option that I don't know if you have thought about or not. Let your son get his Technician and then both of you study for and take the General exam together. Talk about creating memories. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck and congratulations again.

Wayne, W4SYK

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
Wayne,

Thank you for the reply. That was just the kind of information I was looking for. I appreciate you taking time to share all that with me.

ad5kl

There's more incentive for General than Extra.

General opens up a ton of HF ready for enjoyment. Extra only allows a few extra kc's of exclusive access on each HF band - so you can only talk to Extras on those freqs. Oh, and the shorter call sign option if that's of any interest to you. But that's basically it. General gives the best bang for the buck.

Congrats on your license & good luck with the upgrades.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I agree on bang for your buck.

I don't agree on who you can contact. Many DX station can be found in the Extra frequencies.

...snip...
Extra only allows a few extra kc's of exclusive access on each HF band - so you can only talk to Extras on those freqs.
...snip...

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I did something similar. I'd been a Tech for a couple of decades, and when my wife agreed to get her Tech, I studied for and took my General.

I don't have an HF station at home, so I joined a club and played with theirs. A "try before you buy" if you will. I found that at this time, it's just not what I'm looking for. I took the money I was planning to spend on an HF rig and bought more DMR radios. That's my main interest right now.

But what's cool about it, is that as long as you continue to renew, nobody can take it away from you. You have way more privileges on the HF bands, and you learn a bunch of stuff in the process. HF isn't for me...right now. But when I have more free time (read: retirement), it might be. Or it might not. Who knows. But I'd say you have a great excuse to study for that General, so go for it now.

73!

khooke

Depends on what your interests are, and what you want to do. For me, I wanted to get straight into HF, so as soon as I passed my tech I immediately studied for general and took it the following month, and then got an HF radio for my first radio. I didn't get a VHF/UHF radio until several months later, just to call in to the club weekly net. I spend probably 95% of my operating time on HF and only occasionally dabble on 2m.

Really up to you and what you are interested in!

wcu02mpa

Extra class

Yes Extra may get you only a few more KHz of frequency, but you also get an Extra class license. I am pretty sure only an Extra can hold an "A" call. Anyone who downplays an Extra class, well, isn't an Extra. I have been an Extra since 1997 and hold an "A" call. The General license is a must for getting on HF so get it, but don't stop. Get that Extra because you don't have to study for anything anymore, unless you want a commercial license. Then the real fun begins.

Mike
Extra class AF4AY
GROL plus RADAR
GMDSS Operator/Maintainer plus RADAR

n5ims

One thing to think about, even if you don't currently need the privileges of a higher class license, is that once you've started studying (as having just passed your Tech indicates), it's easier to continue to study for the higher class licenses than it will be to start studying later. Your mind is already trained to learn now, but after a while you'll have to train it again, making studying a bit harder.

Another thing is that you may later get the opportunity to use higher class privileges but no time then to upgrade (for example, a friend may be away and loan you their station). While rare, it would be a shame to have the opportunity and not be able to take advantage of it.

AC2OY

Congratulations man!! Now go get extra!! For me this is just for me when I passed general I wanted to get extra because many of the extra members in my club told I don't have to worry about where I can go exempt band edges. I wanted to get seriously into HF and DX and since I bought and had my club set up a HF station,that is exactly what I did. If you want to further explore amateur radio and do HF and chase the elusive DX then get extra you already passed two so now you just have to pass one more exam! Good luck!!!

AC2OY

Jitravino when you get all set up give me a pm and I'll gladly talk to ya!!! Not just saying this because I need Colorado but we can have all kinds of fun!! The more I work HF the more I want to get on the radio,not sure the wife loves that but I have been spending more time in the basement in front of the rig and just trying to chase DX or work special events and meet soooo very many nice people on the air! It gives me hope that humanity still exists.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
AC2OY,

I'll do that! It may be a while as I don't have a rig yet. I am still hanging out on 2m and 70cm. Appreciate your enthusiasm!

AC2OY

No problem you will do it. I didn't go nuts I went out and bought a TS-2000 running 100 watts and I have surprised myself of who I worked and how far I could reach. I looked at your QTH my wife was station at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs when she was in the Army. Bottom line is for a starter rig or station you don't have to go out and spend $10,000.00 to get on the air but hey if you have it or win the lottery!!!!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Study a little more, go for Extra. I did. It wasn't tough at all. Then you don't have to be so worried about whether or not you're in the extra segment of the bands or not.

I've tried HF and it's fun but honestly I haven't pursued it as it wasn't THAT fun for me. Part of it is that to get a lot out of working HF you have to put a lot into it. Time, money, and equipment. Without a good antenna you're hamstrung. (Pardon the pun.) Without spending time at it you won't get results.

I can't really afford the time commitment that HF requires. I have way too many things I want to do besides radio. We all have to choose what aspects of the hobby we want to invest in.

Status
Not open for further replies.