Passed Tech, General, Extra

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmaynor

Sunday at Georgia Tech I passed all 3 back to back. I am waiting on a callsign. I got a Icom ID-51+ from HRO although im not turning it on till I am in the FCC DB.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Congratulation!

Turn it ON! Listening is free.:D

Once you get your call sign get it registered on a local DStar repeater. That will get you in the DStar database and allow you to talk across the 'internet' side of DStar. The 51 with the Dstar database in radio makes it easier to connect to the DStar repeaters in your area.

I recommend using the RT System software if you have more than one radio to keep programmed with your VHF/UHF data. Icom software is good starter especially if free.

Mike

davidmaynor

I am In atlanta, I passed on 7/26/15. How do you know which VEC is the coordinator? I took the exam at GaTech, the exams were sponored by the GaTech Amateur Radio club but that doesn't really tell me who the VEC is.

EDIT: The ARRL according to some research.

k6cpo

I am In atlanta, I passed on 7/26/15. How do you know which VEC is the coordinator? I took the exam at GaTech, the exams were sponored by the GaTech Amateur Radio club but that doesn't really tell me who the VEC is.

EDIT: The ARRL according to some research.

Some VECs take longer than others to get the information to the FCC after you pass the exam. Larger VECs, such as the ARRL, require that exam materials be mailed to a central office for review, processing and electronic submission to the FCC. This increases the time it take for a new call sign or license upgrade in the system.

Other, smaller VECs can get the paperwork to the coordinator quicker, sometimes the same day as the examination. Here in San Diego County, CA our VEC has the information in the FCC queue by the end of day. For a test administered on Saturday, our examinees routinely have their call signs on Monday morning.

KC0KM

To pass all three in one sitting is an accomplishment to be proud of, my hat is off you with a hardy congratulations. Our VEC ( I am a W5YI VE) takes about 7-10 businesses days for it to appear. If you get a group D call, look for a KM4M** call, I could not find the group B calls.

AC2OY

Congratulations and welcome to the revolution!!!! You should get your call soon I think mine took about 2 weeks to show up in the FCC database for me.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations David, especially on passing the Tech, General, and Extra all at same time. I got my general in 1963 and extra in 1984, so it was a 21-year break. You did yours all in one day. Sounds great. Welcome to amateur radio. I have been a "ham" since 1962. I am a VE (volunter examiner) here in the Los Angeles area. You will like the ID-51+. I have one and use it quite often, including D-Star.

MrGClips

Sunday at Georgia Tech I passed all 3 back to back. I am waiting on a callsign. I got a Icom ID-51+ from HRO although im not turning it on till I am in the FCC DB.

WOW! Finished all 3 at once? How the heck did you do that?

I only passed the Tech days ago and now that I took a quick look into the General, I feel overwhelmed already! For me, it's like gibberish! I guess some of us understands this electronics stuff better than others.

Good for you! And congratulations! WOW!

AC2OY

Mr G look at it this way one down and only two more to go!! You can do it man trust me I did it keep studying and practicing and you will get general and extra and your done.

Status
Not open for further replies.