callsign

Status
Not open for further replies.

reconrider8

I've been thinking of getting my license for sometime and I'm planning on taking the dive next month. My question is how did you choose your callsign? I have one in mind that I would like but its saying its expired so could I use this callsign or would I need to choose differently? PS it has been expired since like 2002 or so. Thanks for the responses in advanced.

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
For your initial license you will be assigned a call sign sequentially from the available pool. After that, you can apply for a vanity call sign. The type of vanity call you can apply for will also depend on your license class. For example, "A" calls are only issued to Extra Class licensees. The same with 1x2, 2x1 and 2x2 calls. Other than that you can try for anything you want . There are a few other restrictions. Expired licenses can be reissued to the original owner under certain conditions and the license of a deceased operator can be issued to a family member. It is wise to select several choices. There is a fee and a sort of background check so it takes a minimum of 18 days to process depending on workload and holidays etc. You can follow the progress on the FCC website.

reconrider8

Ok so they give you your first callsign that's all I need to know. I figured that's how it was but I had seen where you could pick your callsign and such

AC2OY

Recon you might love what they give you when I upgraded to extra they gave me AC2OY and I fell in love with it. But if you hate it and you upgrade to general then extra you can get a call with less letters and like folks stated you can apply for a vanity call now at no extra charge. Good luck!!

KC0KM

As others have said, the your first call sign is assigned sequentially. I did a brief look, and the call sign database, and it appears that they are in the KM4NJ's, so depending on when you take your test you will most likely have a KM4NK(a-z) or KM4NM(a-z) depending on how many are granted during the time. (I just searched only the NC calls, and not the entire call district) Sometimes you just might get a call you like. IF you want to get a vanity call -- which they are no longer charging for -- do a little research before you apply for it. One thing is make sure that the one you want is, 1) available, 2) within your license class [as a Tech/General you can only have 1x3, or 2x3], 3) conforms to the FCC guidelines. I can remember a website (now closed) that listed call signs, that, well where rejected because they did not conform to the correct prefix. Sometimes it was "any" (as in any 1x2, 2x1 etc...) another was Va3der -- cool call, except it was not even a US call. One even went as far to apply as their call -- NCC1701 (also A-D). So do some research first, it might save you some problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.