Licence clarification needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonkulor

Hi folks. This is my first post and I felt the need to register so I could ask my question, since surveying past posts didn't seem enlightening.

So here goes;
Q: Does my license authorize me to get into Ham, and/or other realms? If so, what? If not, does my current license specifically place me somewhere in the chain of requirements?

Now the explanation: I have a General Radiotelephone Operator License granted 05-04-2000. Form FCC 605-FRC. It includes a serial number and FCC Registration Number, no expiration date. The backside of the card has a special conditions/endorsements qualifier as, "This license does not confer any authority to operate Broadcast stations. Refer to CFR Title 47 Section 13.7 c)5."

Am I grandfathered into anything under 1000 watts? Isn't a Ham/shortwave unit considered a "broadcast station"?

I've been in Aviation since '93 where I have been to many technical schools, programs, and studies. For me to be considered eligible to be hired in Avionics shops, they required all applicants to be holders of this license. Not that I remember how fast a radar wave travels and many, many more tidbits of information dealing with radios and frequencies, at one time I had a clue. When I got my license I remember being told I could operate, but Ham, Shortwave, etc wasn't my intent.

I am thinking about shortwave as a hobby and would like to know where I stand with today's regs. I do realize I will have to get out some books and refresh myself if I jump in. I don't want to make the neighbors unhappy.

Anyhow, that's about it. I could ramble on with questions and other stuff but most of those are surely already answered inside other posts.

Best Regards
Shon

wb0wao

A GROL is separate from a ham license - it does not allow you to operate on the ham bands. It is basically a "permit" to operate and maintain a separately licensed station - usually a maritime station - by the holder.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Am I grandfathered into anything under 1000 watts? Isn't a Ham/shortwave unit considered a "broadcast station"?

No, to both questions. Broadcasting, defined as one-way communications, is specifically prohibited on the ham freqs. (There is an exception to that rule, if the information is of general interest to the ham community. That is intended for things like Morse Code practice, or news for the ham community.)

Sent via Tapatalk

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Your license is kind of a dinosaur, the only people who need it are those who repair 2-way radios. BTW that's actually a good thing since the field is so empty of good technicians. If you want a job in that field you are good to go, but no ham connection at all. Too bad you are not in the NYC area as my agency has at least 2 positions available now and had as many as 7 last year.

Gonkulor

Thank you all very much. You all have answered my question definitively enough. I will look at my intent and desires, figure what equipment will be required and work first to achieve licensing.

Thanks again..

Gonkulor

K7MEM

Shon,

If you are interested in amateur radio, you might want to try the link below. On that page, the menu on the left can provide you with the information you need. They can also provide you with study guides.

ARRL | Licensing, Education & Training | Getting on the Air

You have come along at a good time. Amateur radio licensing has gone through a lot of changes over the past 15 years. Now, there are only three levels of license (Technician, General, and Extra) and the Morse code requirements are gone.

There are several sites available that provide you with sample tests, for each of the levels. An example would be: Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ.COM. Because the test questions are public knowledge, these tests use the actual questions that you might see on a license test. Your background should help you on some of the material but you will probably have to bone up on the rules and regulations.

Hope to hear you on the air.

Martin - K7MEM

Status
Not open for further replies.