callsign change

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
After two months of trying different combos my callsign was changed from kc1dvh to k1agh. Now just waiting for an admin here to change my username lol. If your wondering my new call sign is my daughters initials as someone already took a call sign with mine and a few other combos I had listed.Now its much easier to say.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Nope it took months of trying different combos for callsigns, seems others got an app in before me. This time I got lucky.Plus my daughter is too young to take a test unless she is a 4 your old genius lol and she likes playing radio with daddy so i decided on her initials in her honor.

K7MEM

When I went for a vanity call, I submitted about a dozen different calls. But this was just before the FCC started dropping the Morse code requirements and there were lots of calls available. As it turned out, I got the first one on my list. Even though I was an Extra at the time, and had lots of 1x2 and 2x1 call available, I chose a 1x3 with my initials. It works great on SSB and CW.

Nope it took months of trying different combos for callsigns, seems others got an app in before me. This time I got lucky.

Did you check the list of available call signs or did you just submit various call signs? Sites like RadioQTH - Available Calls will show you all the call signs that are available, so you don't waste your time trying for calls that are not available.

There are many hams out there carefully watching for the 1x2 and 2x1 calls to come available. There are only 3 1x2 calls available in the "1" district and applications for them are already being processed.

When a rare, or even just desired, call sign comes available, the FCC collects applications for a 24 hour period, after the call becomes available. The actual period can change depending on whether there is a weekend or holiday is in the mix. But once all of the applicants are checked, to make sure they are eligible for the call, the winner is randomly selected. That way everyone has the same chance of receiving the call.

Martin - K7MEM

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
I used the site you posted for

the vanity call sign. I just checked it again and it says application filed. There were four different ones I could choose from, but I wanted KC4RAF. Hopefully it'll come through someday. The reason I liked this call is because I use to live in Kansas City (both sides of the river) and my initials in the suffix.
It sounds like Tom has a daughter who may follow in his footsteps in the amateur radio hobby. And great that he chose her initials in her honor is outstanding!

Didn't know that it is a random selected operation in getting the vanity. So I wonder if that is why it's been over a month now; waiting for more applicants to apply?

Last edited:

K7MEM

I applied in May of 2000 for my current call and the whole process, including the submission of the fee, only took 18 days. The payment was validated in 10 days and the rest took 8 days.

Didn't know that it is a random selected operation in getting the vanity. So I wonder if that is why it's been over a month now; waiting for more applicants to apply?

No, that isn't very likely. The random selection process is only applied if there are multiple applicants for the same call sign. While a 2x3 call is as good as any other call, the ones that are in demand are the 1x2 and 2x1 calls. I doubt there was any competition for your selected call.

Have you checked the FCC.gov web site? The RadioQTH web site is a good way of looking for available call signs, but it only has very limited information. You should be able to log in to the FCC.gov web site using your FRN and see what is holding it up.

I looked up KC4RAF on the FCC.gov web site but it only shows that it expired on 09/10/2011. Since you haven't listed your name or current call sign, your on your own to search it out yourself.

There use to be a fee for vanity call signs, but I think that was suppose to change. The following is from the ARRL web site.

"Effective Thursday, September 3, 2015, applicants are able to file all vanity applications (new and renewal) without having to pay a regulatory fee. FCC decided earlier this year to eliminate the regulatory fee component for Amateur Radio vanity call signs because their costs exceed the amount collected in fees."

If you applied before Sep 3, it may be waiting on the receipt of a fee.

Martin - K7MEM

KC4RAF

Thanks for the reply Martin;

I filed for the vanity on or about the 11th last month, after the Sept cutoff of fees. I've checked the ULS about every other day and can not find any action being taken. My call sign is KM4NTX applying for the vanity of KC4RAF. I just figured that it being a vanity, the government would take their time in either approving or disapproving the request. I've used my FRN to check, but still nothing showing! I'm a patience individual and decided to wait it out for a few more days.

KC4RAF

Thank you sir for that link!

For me trying to find info at the FCC was driving me up a wall a little while ago.
I am going to bookmark that site in case of needed again.
Pending level 2 means wait for 'em to notify me, er? lol
Thanks again for you all help in this matter!

K7MEM

I filed for the vanity on or about the 11th last month, after the Sept cutoff of fees. I've checked the ULS about every other day and can not find any action being taken. My call sign is KM4NTX applying for the vanity of KC4RAF. I just figured that it being a vanity, the government would take their time in either approving or disapproving the request. I've used my FRN to check, but still nothing showing! I'm a patience individual and decided to wait it out for a few more days.

Knowing your call sign, I can see your application on the FCC web site. According to the information, they received your modification on 10/22/2015 and the Redlight Review was completed 10/23/2015. Maybe they had a problem because your application was close to the issue data of your license, 10/05/2015.

You should see it pop up on QRZ.com any day now.

KC4RAF

This is what makes this site

so great for everybody. Members coming together to help others of less knowledge! I really thank you all for the info and sites to help me along; and I inadvertently highjacked this thread from the OP, and am sorry for that.
Again everyone, thanks for your help!
And I am bond to agree that the dates are close together and maybe the problem. I don't know how I thought I applied for the vanity on or about the 9-11 this year! Getting scattered brain in my old age....lol

r_eugene1

It took me approximately 14 days to get my vanity call. I only submitted 1 choice so I would either get it or not. Lucky for me I got my call. My old call (KD8RNC) was kind of hard to understand, the N sounded like M and the C sounded like Z so I picked 1 that was a lot easier to understand N8WRW. Yes I like my new call.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
WooHoo! According to AE7Q's website, my new call will be issued 3 January 2016! AB4BF will be my new call.
Wonderful, just the one I wanted.

KM4MMN

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Barry, I kinda feel sorry for you. KM4MMN would be a real challenge to deal with on voice.

Congrats on the new call.

N0IU

Barry, I kinda feel sorry for you. KM4MMN would be a real challenge to deal with on voice.

But actually....

Using standard phonetics, this call is only 8 syllables long which makes it pretty easy by voice. But if you take a seemingly short call like mine which is only a 1x2 call, it is a whopping 11 syllables which makes it terrible by voice!

OTOH....

When it comes to CW, one thing to consider is the "weight" of the call or how long it will take to send a call sign using CW.

KM4MMN has a weight of 64 but this is not surprising since it is a 2x3. AB4BF is slightly better with a weight of 58. One of the reasons I picked my callsign (other than having received my undergraduate degree from Indiana University) was its weight which is only 46.

If you want to check the weight of your call, check here: RadioQTH - CW Call Weight

Oh, and congratulations on the new call!

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
AB4BF

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I woke up yesterday, 1 January, turned on my computer, checked my email and there from the FCC was the email stating my new call was approved. AB4BF is now my legal sign. I looked at almost 25,000 unused, for various reasons, calls on the FCC ULS website and then I had to boil them down to the ones that were available or soon to be available. This one caught my eye as it has my grandfathers and grandmothers first initials followed by the 4 and then my initials. Couldn't get any better.

My buddies here on the net have made up silly words to go with the new letters - their time is a' comin'!
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.