Round #3 - Last round, going for the EXTRA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGClips

Now that I passed the General with perfect score, I want the Extra as well! No stopping now! No way! :D

If for nothing else, I want it for the full spectrum, so I don't have to memorize all the class-band limits.

But as I checked out the Extra, it's very-very difficult and the question pool is almost as large as the Tech + General combined! There is a lot of complicated calculations as well with a ton of new stuff. So, it won't be a piece o' cake for sure, not as if the Tech and General were easy for me. The contrary! :-(

But I've made it so far and the big advantage I feel is that now I know what to do and how to do to be ready. :)

My stand is the same as before: Give it 3 trials to succeed, planning on passing the first time around, but will not try more than three times. If I fail all three times, then I'll stick to my General Class and won't go for the Extra ever again. However, knowing myself, a complete failure would bug the living heck out of me for life, so that is not even an option!

I'm very excited to continue this journey, though I know this last one's gonna be the toughest one of all, but I don't care. I'll study even more and harder than before, because I WANT MY EXTRA!!! :D

Ps: This is the simplified Extra band-chart. It would be so nice to have it all. That's my inspiration! :)

Attachments

• Bands - Extra.jpg
    Bands - Extra.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 968

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Congratulations on your upgrade

to "General" status! Yes, the Extra is the hard one to take, but just keep plugging away studying and you'll get it. Got to study for my general soon.
BTW, this is 'rafdav' with the new call sign should you not recognize the KC4RAF member name...lol

mitbr

Congratulations on your ticket . Now keep trying for extra don't give up I know you can pass it. I have been a general for along time .
Tim

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The Extra exam is a combination of the old Advanced test and the old Extra exam. The good news is that you don't have to pass the 20WPM code test. The Extra test is only difficult if you don't know a little algebra and very simple trigonometry. The reality is that there are a fairly limited set of formulas and a question pool with a large number of possible selections. Concentrate on the application of the formulas and you will find that the test is not all that hard. Try to memorize the answers and you will get into trouble. This is one test where knowledge of the theory will serve you well.

N0IU

If I fail all three times, then I'll stick to my General Class and won't go for the Extra ever again.

First of all, congratulations! I have been following your progress on here and am genuinely happy for you.

But remember, "ever again" is a really really long time! The key, of course, is to use whatever study material you are comfortable with and keep taking practice exams until you are consistently passing the test. No joke, but back when there was an Advanced Class, I must have taken practice tests close to 50 times before I went in to take the actual test.

However...

Don't wait too long. You're on a roll so my advice (which is worth what it cost you - $0.00) is to jump right in and start working on the material while your brain is in that mode. But also be aware that the current Extra test pool expires on June 30, 2016 so you have a little over 7 months. If you wait until after July 1, 2016, there will be a new question pool.

Good luck!

MrGClips

First of all, congratulations! I have been following your progress on here and am genuinely happy for you.

But remember, "ever again" is a really really long time! The key, of course, is to use whatever study material you are comfortable with and keep taking practice exams until you are consistently passing the test. No joke, but back when there was an Advanced Class, I must have taken practice tests close to 50 times before I went in to take the actual test.

However...

Don't wait too long. You're on a roll so my advice (which is worth what it cost you - $0.00) is to jump right in and start working on the material while your brain is in that mode. But also be aware that the current Extra test pool expires on June 30, 2016 so you have a little over 7 months. If you wait until after July 1, 2016, there will be a new question pool.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! :)

You are right, waiting is a bad idea. I think I'll start my studies as soon as time allows it. I have no intention of waiting for months, in fact, if I'm correct, there will be an exam the next month close to my area, so I definitely want to be ready by then.

I have several weeks, so all I need to do now is find the time, or stay up late at night as I did before, to make the necessary time for the studies. I only looked into the material briefly once when I downloaded a study guide and the question pool, but that was enough to realize that the Extra is going to be truly extra-hard for me, much more than the Tech and General were. (and they WERE hard for me)

But it can be done and I'm very excited to get it done for the first trial, because I really, and I mean, really hate to fail! :(

Thank you again for the encouragement, probably I'll start my studies today and dedicate time to it during the whole weekend. There is a lot of stuff there, a lot to learn, but these are all very interesting things, which help me keep focus to absorb all that new information.

I still have the "hunger" because I feel that all the "rewards" of getting the Extra Class ham license with its opportunities and services for life is well worth the time, the effort and even a little struggle. :)

Let's get those brain-cells work for their nourishment! :D Let's get to it! :)

Last edited:

KE0GXN

Cool!

Congratulations and great job acing your General exam Mr. G!

I'll be taking my first step next week, I hope I am as successful as you have been!

Wish you nothing but the best on your upcoming Extra quest , I am sure we will be calling you Extra Mr. G soon. :D

Good luck!

MrGClips

Congratulations and great job acing your General exam Mr. G!

I'll be taking my first step next week, I hope I am as successful as you have been!

Wish you nothing but the best on your upcoming Extra quest , I am sure we will be calling you Extra Mr. G soon. :D

Good luck!

Thank you and the same to you!

If you studied enough and practiced to confirm your knowledge, then you know you're ready and won't have any problems. I'm sure of it! By next week you'll be a certified ham! :D ... then comes the part when you'll be very excited, waiting for your FCC registration to go through and be like I was, saying: "... OK, I did it, now gimme my damn call sign already!!!..." :D :D :D ... and when it shows up, THEN you'll be a full-fledged and very happy HAM operator! :)

For me, it's the final run, but the toughest part, so I don't celebrate before the hunt begins, only when it's over. I feel that my earlier mental fatigue getting ready to the General Exam is over now and I'm ready for the new material. Yeah, I think I'll jump into it today. No time to waste! :)

AC2OY

I agree while your in "test mode" keep going. Look at it this way,you now only have to pass one more exam then your done for life. I took a break in between because I didn't have a HF radio but eventually I got it. Good luck you will pass it I know you will!

MrGClips

Today I dedicated plenty of time to the Extra Study Guide, but still, I haven't even reached the half point!

This IS a lot of stuff and some of those calculations, seriously, gave me a headache! I'm gonna have one heck of a time memorizing them. And there are so many!

It's going to take a lot of reading to understand them. There is no way I can just memorize the answers for those calculations.

All my previously gained confidence just flew out the window! I'm in trouble now with this stuff for sure! :(

KE0GXN

Hey, man I know I am in position to refute what your saying since I have no ticket at all, but I know one thing...time is on your side.

Extra exams are not going anywhere any time soon, if it takes you a couple of extra weeks before you believe you are ready....so be it. You are a General, which in itself is an awesome accomplishment considering how quick you have progressed already!

If I were you, I wouldn't rush it at this point, you have General privileges already, if need be keep studying at your own pace and during your down time from studying maybe experiment with making contacts and getting to know the ropes on the air and what not.

In my opinion, what good is it to have all the certs and not be on the air as much as possible. Maybe you will get lucky and get a hold of a local Elmer on the air to help you out with questions or stuff you are stumped on....you never know.

At a minimum its a reason to rag chew and get some air time with somebody in-between your studies. :)

KD8DVR

Hey, man I know I am in position to refute what your saying since I have no ticket at all, but I know one thing...time is on your side.

Extra exams are not going anywhere any time soon, if it takes you a couple of extra weeks before you believe you are ready....so be it. You are a General, which in itself is an awesome accomplishment considering how quick you have progressed already!

If I were you, I wouldn't rush it at this point, you have General privileges already, if need be keep studying at your own pace and during your down time from studying maybe experiment with making contacts and getting to know the ropes on the air and what not.

In my opinion, what good is it to have all the certs and not be on the air as much as possible. Maybe you will get lucky and get a hold of a local Elmer on the air to help you out with questions or stuff you are stumped on....you never know.

At a minimum its a reason to rag chew and get some air time with somebody in-between your studies. :)

I always say, once you get your Tech license, all the pressure is gone. If you fail the next level up, you still leave with an amateur license :)

Kind of a no lose situation when going for an upgrade.

I got my General at Dayton Hamvention.... my first Hamvention.... That was one heck of a fun day :)

KE0GXN

I always say, once you get your Tech license, all the pressure is gone. If you fail the next level up, you still leave with an amateur license :)

Kind of a no lose situation when going for an upgrade.

I got my General at Dayton Hamvention.... my first Hamvention.... That was one heck of a fun day :)

I test tomorrow, I am somewhat nervous, allthough I know I have done my best in preparing myself. But yes, I agree with you, as much as I what to get General right after, I know if I can just get past tomorrow......I AM IN!!!! :)

Last edited:

MrGClips

I test tomorrow, I am somewhat nervous, allthough I know I have done my best in preparing myself. But yes, I agree with you, as much as I what to get General right after, I know if I can just get past tomorrow......I AM IN!!!! :)

Best of luck for tomorrow! Hopefully everything will be fine and you WILL Ace it! :)

I just finished reading the full Extra material, but my head is buzzing! :D

I haven't a CLUE how am I supposed to learn all this stuff, because it's just soooooo much!

I need a break! :(

Tomorrow I'll start it again, but for now, I just about had it with this stuff.

MrGClips

Slowly but surely.

After a nice peaceful day and a wonderful Thanksgiving meal I was back studying for a few hours.

Even on a holiday like this. I'm dedicated to this stuff or what? :D

Slowly, but surely going forward with the material. I know that the tough part is yet to come and that will be a struggle, but I'm happy that I'm starting to get better with the first easier sections. Still making many mistakes though.

Below is an image of my current progress at Hamstudy.Org Still got a long way to go, a lot to learn. Tomorrow I'll continue, but for today, I've had enough "education". One step at a time... :)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 282

KE0GXN

After a nice peaceful day and a wonderful Thanksgiving meal I was back studying for a few hours.

Even on a holiday like this. I'm dedicated to this stuff or what? :D

Slowly, but surely going forward with the material. I know that the tough part is yet to come and that will be a struggle, but I'm happy that I'm starting to get better with the first easier sections. Still making many mistakes though.

Below is an image of my current progress at Hamstudy.Org Still got a long way to go, a lot to learn. Tomorrow I'll continue, but for today, I've had enough "education". One step at a time... :)

I love that site. I like how it keeps mixing back the ones you get wrong until you can prove you know the answers before it truly goes back to asking random questions again.

Don't know what kind of phone you got, but I also found and use the "Ham Radio Exam" app by Roy Watson, its free and good to use when you are on the run or even at home. He has three separate ones for Technician , General, and Extra. You may want to check it out. Works great for me.

Keep up the good work! :cool:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
MRGClips,

Don't let 3 strikes and never take test again be part of your thinking. Also don't think that you have to make 100% on the test. Its about passing to get the privileges and then the learning really kicks in because you are using them. In the case of extra you are really getting more bandwidth to operate in, that really has little to do with using and understanding some of the very technical material.

My entire career was in electronics and covered different areas as I changed jobs. Extra still required me to study some of the areas as my interest was repair and/or construction in R&D prototypes. I studied as needed in the areas I was lacking. Passed, but did not ace the extra and now know where to find the answers to questions I am weak on.

Stick with it and I am sure you will reach your objective.

73, Mike KE5MC

MrGClips

MRGClips,

Don't let 3 strikes and never take test again be part of your thinking. Also don't think that you have to make 100% on the test. Its about passing to get the privileges and then the learning really kicks in because you are using them. In the case of extra you are really getting more bandwidth to operate in, that really has little to do with using and understanding some of the very technical material.

My entire career was in electronics and covered different areas as I changed jobs. Extra still required me to study some of the areas as my interest was repair and/or construction in R&D prototypes. I studied as needed in the areas I was lacking. Passed, but did not ace the extra and now know where to find the answers to questions I am weak on.

Stick with it and I am sure you will reach your objective.

73, Mike KE5MC

Oh yeah, the electronics part is the one that I really don't understand at all and struggle with.

Today I've started to study the "E5 - Electrical Principles" but haven't a clue about the whole thing. I may be able to memorize certain things but even reading it multiple times didn't help much. If I can't visualize something, then I just don't get it. And I can't visualize these things, simple as that. :(

This exam is not gonna be pretty for sure, but if I manage to pass the extra in any ways, even at borderline, I'll be OK with that. I just don't want to fail. :(

Thinking back when the VEs offered me to try the Extra after the successful General exam, I'm glad I didn't take it. That would have been one REALLY ugly fail for sure! :D

But that's OK, I knew this was gonna be tough, so I'm mentally prepared to crawl my way through it all for the "prize", which I want bad! :D

And if I fail 3 times, then I'll be a happy General, 'cause I surely wouldn't try it after that.

If I know I gave my best but it still wasn't enough after three trials, I'm ready to let it go. That's just the way I am. :-/

Last edited:

N0IU

And if I fail 3 times, then I'll be a happy General, 'cause I surely wouldn't try it after that.

If I know I gave my best but it still wasn't enough after three trials, I'm ready to let it go. That's just the way I am. :-/

Yeah, but what if you missed passing that third test by just one or two questions?

MrGClips

Yeah, but what if you missed passing that third test by just one or two questions?

I would be pretty upset for sure, but I'm rather focusing on the best possible scenario, like studying hard, learning everything I can, preparing with all those wonderful tools available, doing my best and succeeding. So many people do it, so I think with hard work and dedication I can do it as well. But it won't be easy for me and if I fail time and again and again, then it's beyond my reach, keep what I've got and move on with some really ticked off memories of failure. Sometimes some things just don't work out the way you want them and there is nothing you can do but let them go.

Status
Not open for further replies.