Technician wait time question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpt423

I passed my Technician exam (30/35!) 10 days ago at my local club. They are mailing the the test results to the FCC. Thanksgiving was in the middle of all of this, would that add to the wait time? What is the average wait time for non-electronic submitted exams? I have been waiting very patiently and cannot wait to get on the air!

MrGClips

After a long holiday the offices are a bit overwhelmed. You should have it by the end of this week. :)

n4yek

Let's hope it doesn't take a few months like it used to when they were mailed in. I think I waited almost 3 months when I was first license as a Novice years ago.

mikey60

keep checking here , will post here a couple days before it comes in the mail , check daily , also might want to check back a few days , it might of already been issued

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/daily-fcc-log.87/

They don't mail them any more. They provide printable versions of the licenses now on-line only through ULS. You can check the FCC site under the ULS or database look-up areas for your call sign. Once it appears there you are good to go.

Mike

k6cpo

I passed my Technician exam (30/35!) 10 days ago at my local club. They are mailing the the test results to the FCC. Thanksgiving was in the middle of all of this, would that add to the wait time? What is the average wait time for non-electronic submitted exams? I have been waiting very patiently and cannot wait to get on the air!

Which VEC administered the examination? Some VECs mail their exams to a central location where the paperwork is checked for errors and then the batch file is prepared and sent electronically to the FCC. At this time of year the post office is very busy and even priority mail can take longer than normal.

KD8DVR

I'd check the ULS now and repeatedly tomorrow. Amateur licenses are issued constantly throughout the day. The exception for amateur licenses are vanity calls, which process overnight. (as do most other licenses, such as GMRS). The FCC will process from Monday morning, through Friday afternoon, only shutting down on weekends and holidays.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
I received my Technician CSCE on November 28th (100% correct) and I am still waiting for my license/call sign. I'll probably being calling the ARRL soon. Just putting it out there...

KD8DVR

I received my Technician CSCE on November 28th (100% correct) and I am still waiting for my license/call sign. I'll probably being calling the ARRL soon. Just putting it out there...

Have you checked the ULS? That's an excessively long time. Remember, paper licenses are no longer issued. You have to download it yourself.

I checked and there have been a ton of license grants in California, including ARRL/VEC since the 28th of November. There is something amiss here.

Last edited:

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply!

I've been checking the ULS daily (I already have an FRN). I'm also aware that they're not mailed anymore. I'm wondering if it's a VEC or VE issue because I've been watching the mailing addresses of the licenses awarded in my region (#6) and have not seen any from the general vicinity of the site where I took my test (San Joaquin County, California). My VE's were ARRL-affiliated.

KE0GXN

I know the feeling, I came close to doing the same thing, but luckily my grant was issued last Tuesday.

It is true about needing to check several times a day, my grant was posted some time during the end of the day, I had checked that morning and then at 1700 when I checked again there it was.

Have you considered calling your VE? Maybe he got delayed in getting them sent out...

Last edited:

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I just sent an email to one of my VE's. I'll be checking ULS once more this evening, as it's already after 5:00 p.m. eastern time. I know that, in the past, people often waited much longer; I'm just eager to get started and getting a little antsy!

KD8DVR

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've been checking the ULS daily (I already have an FRN). I'm also aware that they're not mailed anymore. I'm wondering if it's a VEC or VE issue because I've been watching the mailing addresses of the licenses awarded in my region (#6) and have not seen any from the general vicinity of the site where I took my test (San Joaquin County, California). My VE's were ARRL-affiliated.

OK... looks like you know the drill.... sorry the VE team is evidently not on the ball :(

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Well, for what it's worth, here's an update on my particular situation. I just called the ARRL, near the end of their business day. The lady I spoke to was very nice and helpful. She said that they have not yet received the paperwork from the test session that I attended (Nov. 28) and that they have been trying to contact the VE to see what the problem is (it appears that I'm not the first one to call). She took my phone number and said she would, hopefully, have some information for me tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.