GMRS vs. HAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidradio5

what is the diffirent between gmrs and ham licenses I know one gives you only so many freqs. to talk on and the other gives you a lot more but other than that what the diff?????

bharvey2

A GMRS license is for the most part, a "Pay to Play" license. No testing is required and after one pays the fee to the FCC and obtains a license, he or she (and family members) are allowed to use the service as directed by the rules governing GMRS services. The frequencies used fall in a fairly narrowly defined band (within 462 - 468 and are "channelized")

An amateur radio license requires that one passes one or more tests (multiple levels available) before a license is granted. Once acquired, a licensee can communicate with fellow amateur licensees only. The license obtained governs the bands that he or she may use (and there are several).

The radios that one can use in the amateur radio service vary greatly (few restrictions) while those used for GMRS are defined quite narrowly. Although some radios can be used for both services, a license is required for both services.

Some people (including me) are licensed for both services although each is geared toward a different niche. Your interest and what you'd like to do might govern what type of license you consider.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
As a point of interest.. GMRS is an acronym for General Mobile Radio Service. (The first letter from each word is used). Normally acronyms are capitalized. Citizens Band (CB), Family Radio Service (FRS), Federal Communications Commission (FCC) etc..

Ham is a nickname for an amateur radio operator. It's a plain word and not an acronym so there is absolutely no reason to capitalize it.

Here's a primer on ham radio from the ARRL: What is Ham Radio

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
"The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators"

Then neither is GMRS.....

RFI-EMI-GUY

what is the diffirent between gmrs and ham licenses I know one gives you only so many freqs. to talk on and the other gives you a lot more but other than that what the diff?????

Simple:

The big difference is whether you need to talk to specific friends or your family. In this case GMRS is the choice.

Ham license requires technical and FCC rules proficiency test and with it you can talk to random people (hams) locally or around the world. There are different levels of license and test proficiency that permit greater number of frequencies, power level and modes. The entry level Tech license permits limited operation on 10M band and greater privileges from 6M band thorough microwave bands.

GMRS license does not require a proficiency test and allow you to communicate with family members on a small number of UHF frequencies. You can talk to random folks or friends on unlicensed FRS channels. Or your friends can obtain a GMRS license and you can communicate on the GMRS channels.

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
Simple:

The big difference is whether you need to talk to specific friends or your family. In this case GMRS is the choice.

Ham license requires technical and FCC rules proficiency test and with it you can talk to random people (hams) locally or around the world. There are different levels of license and test proficiency that permit greater number of frequencies, power level and modes. The entry level Tech license permits limited operation on 10M band and greater privileges from 6M band thorough microwave bands.

All privileges from 6M band thorough microwave bands

n5ims

There are several differences and a few similarities. A brief (well, somewhat brief) review is below. Note that this list isn't complete and includes some generalities so verifying what you plan to do against the FCC rules should be done.

Ham:
• Cost: $14 or $15 for the test, but the 10 year license is free and free to renew (if done online through the FCC ULS System).
• Frequency: Many frequencies are available and cover much of the available bandwidth. HF is good for long-distance communications, but may require a higher class license. VHF and UHF are good for short to medium range communications. There are several microwave bands available for specific uses or experimentation.
• More power is generally allowed (over 1,000 watts are allowed on most bands) but good communications can be made using reasonable power levels. Power on some bands or in some areas may be limited.
• Antenna height is generally unlimited, but may be restricted due to local ordinances or within certain FAA areas.
• License covers only a single user so each person will need their own license.
• You can only talk to other ham radio operators. There are few restrictions on where those operators are. International operation is allowed in most cases.
• No business communications are allowed.
• No certification on radios is required. You can even design and build your own ham radio and legally operate it. Although it doesn’t need to be certified to use on the ham bands, it must meet the necessary technical requirements including stability, emissions, signal purity, etc..

GMRS:
• Cost - $65 for a 5 year license. Renewals are $65 for 5 more years.
• Frequency: UHF(460 MHz band) only. Specific channels must be used.
• Power is generally restricted to fairly low levels but may be up to 50 watts, depending on the location or type of station.
• Antenna height is limited. Most stations are limited to 20 feet above the mounting point (tree, building, etc.), but some may be higher. Some may be limited by FAA rules as well.
• License covers everyone in a family so only a single license per family is required.
• You can talk to other GMRS or FRS users. International operation is generally not allowed.
• Business communication is allowed.
• Radios must be type certified for use on the GMRS service (although this is often ignored).

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Another thing to consider is that hams do it with more frequency :)

Below are two lists comparing frequencies used by GMRS and Amateur radio. (These are Canadian ham frequencies but most countries in the world are close). It's quite apparent that there's a huge difference between ham radio and GMRS.

---------------
GMRS Frequencies

462.5500 Mhz to 467.7125 Mhz
---------------

Ham Radio Frequencies

135.7 to 137.8 Khz
472.0 to 479.0 Khz
1.800 to 2.000 Mhz
3.500 to 4.000 Mhz
7.000 to 7.300 Mhz
10.100 to 10.150 Mhz
14.000 to 14.350 Mhz
18.068 to 18.168 Mhz
21.000 to 21.450 Mhz
24.890 to 24.990 Mhz
28.000 to 29.700 Mhz
50.000 to 54.000 Mhz
144.00 to 148.00 Mhz
216.00 to 225.00 Mhz
430.00 to 440.00 Mhz
902.00 to 928.00 Mhz
1.200 Ghz to 1.300 Ghz
2.300 Ghz to 2.450 Ghz
3.300 Ghz to 3.500 Ghz
5.650 Ghz to 5.925 Ghz
10.00 Ghz to 10.50 Ghz
24.00 Ghz to 24.25 Ghz
47.00 Ghz to 47.20 Ghz
76.00 Ghz to 81.00 Ghz
122.25 Ghz to 123.00 Ghz
134.00 Ghz to 141.00 Ghz
241.00 Ghz to 250.00 Ghz

SCPD

QRT
In my circle I have found that the GMRS radio service is a "I Give Up" choice. I say this with my tongue in cheek for the "I Give Up !" is on the part of the Ham member of a family trying unsucessfully (for many years, in some cases) to get the rest of the family- and friends, interested enuff in ham radio to sit the test. Its a lot better than CB for local stuff, and more powerful than FRS and MURS. With it everyone can use fairly powerful, professional UHF radios, repeaters and such, to talk to around.... Well, that is, if you can separate them from their 'celphones ( the usual agruement here is 'why do I need *that radio* when I have my iFone??...I can't text on *That*, can I ?!"----- and so on.)
Regardless of its simplicity of licensing, GMRS is still a 2-way radio service,--- getting non-radio types (ie:- 'the family') interested in using it may be a hard uphill battle. If you are looking for a hobby- stick with ham radio. If you have a specific need for a 2-way radio over a 'celfone,- then think about GMRS. Here in the Rockies, we have a lot of holes in 'celphone coverage- and UHF radios around the ranch do an excellent job. But this is niche specific- here, there are those that need to talk to each other, and radio is the only way to do it- but it is not their passion. I know if they could use their iFones, I would fine the UHF's piled on a barn shelf... ;)
There is also a lot illegal use of GMRS radios- no one taking out licenses. Many feel foolish to pay the $65 FCC fee. I am not advocating anyone do this... and, afterall for your $65 you do get a niffty seven character callsign,--- if that matters to you or the family.
I am getting wordy- to sum up my point- if you have a specific use for 2-way radio,something professional grade, with a local, short range--- then consider GMRS. If you are looking for a hobby, become a ham.....plain and simple Coyote's logic.... ;)
................................................CF

bharvey2

In my circle I have found that the GMRS radio service is a "I Give Up" choice. I say this with my tongue in cheek for the "I Give Up !" is on the part of the Ham member of a family trying unsucessfully (for many years, in some cases) to get the rest of the family- and friends, interested enuff in ham radio to sit the test. Its a lot better than CB for local stuff, and more powerful than FRS and MURS. With it everyone can use fairly powerful, professional UHF radios, repeaters and such, to talk to around.... Well, that is, if you can separate them from their 'celphones ( the usual agruement here is 'why do I need *that radio* when I have my iFone??...I can't text on *That*, can I ?!"----- and so on.)
...............................................CF

Boy is that ever spot on!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
One quick point of order... While GMRS can be used for business communications, only the licensee and his/her family members are covered. Any non-family members or employees must have their own separate license(s). Consequently, GMRS is not often used as a business-oriented service (at least not legally).

John AC4JK

Status
Not open for further replies.