Can't get the material

Status
Not open for further replies.

5thGenTexan

You are right; learn the material and understand it is the best approach! But, I'm not a technical guy the best way for me to pass the test was memorization. It worked, I only got one wrong answer. I personally don't need to know a lot of the information that was on the test. I just want to use the radio to communicate during emergency times (destructive weather); other than that I just talk to club members. I'm not knocking you on your vision of Ham Radio, I would really like to understand the technical side of the hobby, but I won't ever use it. I will take my radio to a technician when it doesn't work.

Regards, Joel KF5UTJ

I apologize for the necrothread, but this kinda stuck out to me,

It was 2013 when I ordered my ARRL book to start the process of getting my technician license. I had taken one of the practice tests online and only missed 14 questions just randomly taking the test. So I was feeling pretty confident. My ARRL book came and I made it to page 2.2 - 2.3 where it provided the info over frequency and phase. I just couldn't get it and I quit right then and there. In my mind if I can't understand the basics in the first chapter of the book I have no business getting the license. I just can't get my head around not wanting to learn the information at all and just get by on the test with a little regurgitation of the question bank.

(Around this time of the year I go back and look at this stuff just to remind myself what I did)

N0IU

I don't know what you want us to tell you? The Technician license is not meant to qualify you to be an electrical or electronic engineer. It is just meant to (hopefully) familiarize you with some of the basic concepts involved in amateur radio. You are not expected to have a complete and thorough understanding of radio electronics in order to get on the air. This license is often referred to as a "learner's permit" of sorts. It is meant to get you on the air and (hopefully) start having fun.

By the same token, you are not expected to get 100% on the test. It would be great if you did, but you can miss 9 questions and still pass. So if you are weak on the technical parts, concentrate on the other parts. The great thing is that when you pass, your license will say "Technician", not "Technician - but just barely passed by the skin of your teeth!" The person who gets 26 out of 35 correct will have exactly the same privileges as the person who gets 35 out of 35... I promise you!

Hope this helps.

ab5r

You mention getting the ARRL "book", but specifying which book. If it was the ARRL Manual, that was not the book to study for a Technician License and can VERY intimidating to a new comer. Get the current Technician License study book.

Good Luck & hang in there.

N0IU

doh-homer-simpson-doh.jpg

It didn't even occur to me that when he said the "ARRL Book" that he was referring to the ARRL Handbook! This is definitely NOT the book to use when studying for your Technician license. The Handbook is an extremely in-depth reference manual that is over the heads of even many very experienced amateur radio operators.

By all means get a Technician study guide and you will find this much more well suited for preparing for your test.

Last edited:

5thGenTexan

I had a copy of the license manual, 2nd edition. It was the appropriate version in 2013.

I understand the book I have is out of date now.

The section in chapter 2 dealing with frequency and phase is what threw me for a loop. I read it several times, and ultimately gave up. In my mind if I can't grasp the fundamentals I have no business going forward.

My reply earlier was to a post in a necrothread and somehow the mods created a new thread with my response. He had no interest in learning the material, just memorizing to pass the test. I was just mentioned I was the total opposite of that mindset. The only reason I found that thread is because I am coming up on the two year mark of my failure and I was looking to see if others had given up due to the difficulty of the material.

Golay

I apologize for the necrothread, but this kinda stuck out to me,

It was 2013 when I ordered my ARRL book to start the process of getting my technician license. I had taken one of the practice tests online and only missed 14 questions just randomly taking the test. So I was feeling pretty confident. My ARRL book came and I made it to page 2.2 - 2.3 where it provided the info over frequency and phase. I just couldn't get it and I quit right then and there. In my mind if I can't understand the basics in the first chapter of the book I have no business getting the license. I just can't get my head around not wanting to learn the information at all and just get by on the test with a little regurgitation of the question bank.

(Around this time of the year I go back and look at this stuff just to remind myself what I did)

Use this:
http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf

K7MEM

My reply earlier was to a post in a necrothread and somehow the mods created a new thread with my response. He had no interest in learning the material, just memorizing to pass the test. I was just mentioned I was the total opposite of that mindset. The only reason I found that thread is because I am coming up on the two year mark of my failure and I was looking to see if others had given up due to the difficulty of the material.

What you are forgetting is that Amateur Radio is just a "hobby". It is not a divine calling that is only available to the elite and knowledgeable. Like any other hobby, you don't need to know everything to start. And how you obtain your license is no bodies business but your own.

The FCC question pool was made available through the Freedom of Information Act around 1985. That is over 30 years ago. At the time there was a big stink about it, but that didn't stop people from using the question pool to get a leg up on the test. Now, you can take sample tests that are very close to the real thing. There is nothing wrong with getting a feel for the real test.

Before they dropped the Morse Code requirements, nobody really complained about the written tests. But they sure complained about the Morse Code test. There were a lot of hams that could pass the Extra written tests, but just couldn't get past the Morse Code test. I just read through the Advanced and Extra question pool once or twice, took a few sample tests, and had no problems.

However, with the Morse Code test, I knew that the test was going to be a simulated QSO and there would be 10 questions on the content. So, what did I study? Did I study 5 letter code groups, did I crank up the Farnsworth, or use the W1AW code sessions on the air? No. None of that was going to be on the test. What I was going to hear was call signs, names, RSTs, rig information, weather info, etc.. All the usual information in a casual QSO. So I studied using simulated QSOs that I created on my computer. For me, the 20 WPM Morse Code test was a breeze. I knew exactly what was coming so no surprises. The others testing with me were not so lucky.

So study and learn what you can, but there are going to be areas that you will have to memorize for now. When you encounter areas that you don't understand, don't just concentrate on the right answer. Look at the wrong answers as well. You may not know exactly why the correct answer is correct. But knowing why the other answers are incorrect will get you to the same place.

Martin - K7MEM

5thGenTexan

I appreciate all the posts offering support and suggestions, however my original post was just in response to another post whose position I did not agree with. My interest in amateur radio began when I tried to install an old CB in truck. It wasn't working and the shop I took it to had much more than just CB stuff. I thought I would try to learn something and looked in the amateur radio. Well, I was too dense to know how to run power for my CB in the truck and I was too dense to understand frequency and phase for the amateur radio. I gave up on all of it, I quit. I came to the realization that I am too stupid to do some things. Again, I thank everyone for the help and support, but I just don't think I can use it right now.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, the OP has asked that the thread be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.