Ham Licence: Best Place to Study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macvsog

I once was a novice years ago (WN9MTA) running a home brew 807 on 40 meters. Now I am finally at the place where I want to get my Ham licence. I'd be studying for my Tech at first and then General later. Are there any good ways to study on line these days? I ran across a computer self learning system that adjusts the questions according to your weak areas but I can't find it again. Any suggestions.

Thanks!

Rred

When you say study, do you mean "Memorize the test answers" or do you mean "learn ham radio" ?

There's a big difference. Hamtestonline is (IIRC) a good place to do practice tests. The ARRL has a similar site, and Gordon West should have something.

But I think you'll get more out of it if you buy a "learn ham radio" guide (ARRL or West) to learn the theory, not just the answers. Little things like how to really use the equipment effectively.

wa3hdi

When you say study, do you mean "Memorize the test answers" or do you mean "learn ham radio" ?

There's a big difference. Hamtestonline is (IIRC) a good place to do practice tests. The ARRL has a similar site, and Gordon West should have something.

But I think you'll get more out of it if you buy a "learn ham radio" guide (ARRL or West) to learn the theory, not just the answers. Little things like how to really use the equipment effectively.

X2. There are also options to find an "Elmer" (hamspeak for a mentor) license study class in most cities. You can find them listed by the ARRL, the W5YI VEC Group, the Gordon West Radio School, or the National Conference of VEC's itself.

Also, before you begin study, make sure your study materials and practice tests are using the active question pool for your desired license class. I'm currently studying to upgrade my Advanced to Extra, and my question pool just changed in July.

73's and good luck.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest QRZ.com. Look under the "Resources" tab. You will find practice exams and a range of study guides for sale. When I decided to take my Extra exam (had Advanced for over 20 years), I got a study guide in the form of a Kindle book from Amazon. It was interactive and broke the exam up by topic with sample questions from the question pool. I needed to review the math parts.

If you had a novice license, you will need to brush up on rules and regs. A lot has changed. However, I hope you remember some theory. After all, making a tube type home-brew radio probably taught you something. At least now you won't burn your fingers on an 807! With your background, I think you will have no trouble with Technician or General. Good luck.

I once was a novice years ago (WN9MTA) running a home brew 807 on 40 meters. Now I am finally at the place where I want to get my Ham licence. I'd be studying for my Tech at first and then General later. Are there any good ways to study on line these days? I ran across a computer self learning system that adjusts the questions according to your weak areas but I can't find it again. Any suggestions.

Thanks!

I think that website you're referring to is https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ (no endorsement implied).

People learn differently. I was genuinely convinced that I was "math stupid" in high school because the algebra teacher was only capable of teaching one way. Rather than try to change that in any way, she told me I was stupid (this was back before we gave people trophies just for showing up). Anyway, it took me YEARS until I finally even attempted to go back to school - and when I did, I ended up with a professor who was as much a spaz as I was. He taught differently and I got A's. My point is, what everyone else does might not be for you.

So, you've got the ARRL books, the Gordon West books, even the raw questions and answers that you could write on flash cards. And, yes, those are "memorizing" the answers. If you want to understand and have a discussion, a class at a local ham club might be for you - but I'm guessing you have quite a bit of experience from years ago. The rules have changed and the environment has changed, so you'd need to catch up on that. But electronics are still electronics, and the fundamentals have not changed.

I think John and Martha King (famous aviation instructors) even had a VHS tape on ham radio, but I don't think it was ever updated.

And, there's that website. If it's what I think you're talking about, it can give you a mini-lesson whenever it introduces a new topic. My kids took that and thought it was pretty neat. They did learn from that, and it helped them in school because they actually learned the material before it was introduced in class.

The thing is, that website's algorithm is meant to skim over things you've got, occasionally coming back to them so you don't forget, but concentrate on the things you haven't got. It's good to have a score-keeper and you won't have that with a book. The other argument is that if you take a class at, say, a community college, a lot of the classes they teach have a $200 text book and a website access that's all videos and clip art. You're going to see that kind of studying out there in the real world.

Personally, I don't knock any of it. Use whatever works best for you.

Best of luck - and congratulations on coming back!!!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
For practice tests, I used a couple of different test apps available for my smartphone:
  • Amateur Radio Exam - Tech by Roy Watson
  • Amateur Radio Exam Prep by Patrick J. Maloney
  • Ham Radio Tech Test Prep by Med Preps

I studied at hamtestonline, but did my practice tests on the smartphone whenever I had a few minutes. It was great to know where I was weak so I could go back and study some more.

Lots of good resources out there now for the searching.

k6cpo

Thanks!

A quick question... Did you ever hold any other license class other than Novice?

n5ims

A quick question... Did you ever hold any other license class other than Novice?

Great question. Especially now that a former ham that had a general class or above license reinstate those privileges by successfully passing the current Tech exam and providing proof of their former license (as usual, some restrictions apply). Be aware that you will be issued a new call sign (you might be able to get your old one back later using the vanity call sign process however).

FCC Okays Changes to Amateur Radio Exam Credit, Test Administration, Emission Type Rules - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.

I couldent agree with you more just Memorizing the answers dont make you a real Ham Operator.....

macvsog

Response

Unfortunately no on the Ham license...I took the General Class exam when I was about 14 years old and didn't pass the written part but did pass the 13 wpm code test.

Later in the Army I went through the Special Forces Communications "MOS" and passed another 20 wpm code test as well as antenna and radio theory.

The only thing I have now is my GMRS license.

macvsog

A big thanks to all of you for all the information!! I'm totally blown away by all the responses and great links/information. I will be looking at all your suggestions and again THANKS!

Dennis

KE0GXN

Two things that got me my tickets..

Gordon West's books and Hamstudy.org

Yes, it is better in a sense to actually learn the theory instead of memorizing the answers, but if your like me, I can read something a million times and not get it, until I actually do it. So yeah, I memorized the answers to get my foot in door, but then immediately sought out other hams and joined groups/clubs to educate myself and seek Elmering.

Everybody learns things differently, I have to have human interaction and hands on instruction in order to have things sink in. Others can study and book and learn that way. So I would suggest doing whatever works for you.

Get the tickets, get on the air and learn as much as you can when you can.

Good luck!

AC2OY

Mac good luck absorb as much information as you can and keep learning,that's what I continue to do. I'm getting better but still have a lot to learn. Have fun this is a great hobby.

k6cpo

Great question. Especially now that a former ham that had a general class or above license reinstate those privileges by successfully passing the current Tech exam and providing proof of their former license (as usual, some restrictions apply). Be aware that you will be issued a new call sign (you might be able to get your old one back later using the vanity call sign process however).

FCC Okays Changes to Amateur Radio Exam Credit, Test Administration, Emission Type Rules - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Precisely why I asked...

PrimeNumber

Couldn't agree more. If you just need some brush-up, there's Dan Romanchik's "No-Nonsense" study guides. They give just enough theory to make the answers stick, without making you slog through stuff you already know. They sort of split the difference between memorizing answers and serious studying. They got me through Tech and General – I used to teach basic electronics, so all that I really needed was to study the regulatory questions. Face it, when it comes to regs, memorization is 90% of "understanding" anyway. Even so, the review helped some with the electronics and was completely worthwhile.

After that though to move up to Extra, the ARRL study guide was my best friend. Then I went through the "No-Nonsense Extra" book the week before the test, just for luck.

Anyway, if you already have some background in the field, Romanchik's books are a brutally efficient way to study. They also make a good pre-test review if you've had to do it from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.