Ham license and SS#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony3d

Is it true that I have to give the test team my social security number when I take the exam, because if so that's a game changer for me. I don't feel comfortable just giving it to complete strangers.

Aero125

Go online to the FCC ULS and get an FRN number. You can use your FRN instead of your SSN on the license paperwork. No need to use your SSN.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Is it true that I have to give the test team my social security number when I take the exam, because if so that's a game changer for me. I don't feel comfortable just giving it to complete strangers.

Go online to the FCC ULS and get an FRN number. You can use your FRN instead of your SSN on the license paperwork. No need to use your SSN.
Tony,

Aero has given you the absolute best advice possible. Get your FRN in advance of your testing date. It saves time and a fair chunk of paperwork at the testing site before you can take the test. And it impresses the examiners a bit. :D

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Long ago when I tested, they wanted my ss# and just simply left it blank. No problem. Easy peasy. 73, n9zas

D

DaveNF2G

"[T]he Privacy Act of 1974 requires that government agencies at the local, state, and federal level disclose to each person whether submitting your Social Security number is required, details on the use of this information, and what law or authority requires its use.

Please note that this Act stipulates that no one can deny you a government service or benefit for failing to provide your SSN unless federal law specifically requires it."

From Who Can Lawfully Request My Social Security Number? | IdentityHawk.com

Of course, this means that one must figure out whether there is such a legal requirement. The best people to ask would be the FCC. Your license application form is collected by a representative of the VEC, which is a private corporation and has very limited legal freedom to collect SS numbers, but it is an official form going to a federal government agency, and they have different rules.

k6cpo

I believe you still have to provide your SSN to the FCC in order to obtain an FRN. there is a black for it in the registration form, but I don't know for sure if the system will reject an applicant if it isn't provided. There is a drop-down menu for reasons for not having an SSN, but refusal to provide it isn't a choice.

"[T]he Privacy Act of 1974 requires that government agencies at the local, state, and federal level disclose to each person whether submitting your Social Security number is required, details on the use of this information, and what law or authority requires its use.

Please note that this Act stipulates that no one can deny you a government service or benefit for failing to provide your SSN unless federal law specifically requires it."

From Who Can Lawfully Request My Social Security Number? | IdentityHawk.com

Of course, this means that one must figure out whether there is such a legal requirement. The best people to ask would be the FCC. Your license application form is collected by a representative of the VEC, which is a private corporation and has very limited legal freedom to collect SS numbers, but it is an official form going to a federal government agency, and they have different rules.

Some VECs allow a candidate to use either their SSN or an FRN. My VEC does not. We require candidates to have an FRN before we allow them to take the exam. If they do not have one when they show up at the exam location, we will assist them in obtaining one by pointing them to the proper place using a web-enabled tablet, computer or smart phone. We do not obtain it for them.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I don't blame you. I met some VE's that I wouldn't trust. Just because someone asks for your SSN doesn't mean you should just give it to them. My strong belief is that amateur radio operators pass a 35 question multiple choice test, and that's it. VE's pass more, but still they are just regular people. If you don't feel comfortable, then trust your gut.

As others have said, get your FRN ahead of time and use that to take your test.

k6cpo

I don't blame you. I met some VE's that I wouldn't trust. Just because someone asks for your SSN doesn't mean you should just give it to them. My strong belief is that amateur radio operators pass a 35 question multiple choice test, and that's it. VE's pass more, but still they are just regular people. If you don't feel comfortable, then trust your gut.

As others have said, get your FRN ahead of time and use that to take your test.

I agree. Even if you use just your SSN to take the exam, the FCC is going to create an account for you and issue an FRN and password anyway.

N0IU

Get your FRN in advance of your testing date.

Yes, good advice. Go here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do. Click Register and follow the instructions. You will need to give them your SSN or TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) or use the dropdown menu to select a reason you do not have one.

It saves time and a fair chunk of paperwork at the testing site before you can take the test.

How so? The box on Form 605 has a box for entering the applicants SSN/TIN or their FRN. Just use one or the other. How does this save any paperwork for the VE team?

And it impresses the examiners a bit. :D

I know this was said in jest, but if you want to impress the examiners, study the material in whatever way works best for you and pass the test the first time! This is what will save the VE team "a fair chunk of paperwork" especially if you plan to take the test again at the same test session.

k6cpo

Yes, good advice. Go here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do. Click Register and follow the instructions. You will need to give them your SSN or TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) or use the dropdown menu to select a reason you do not have one.

There is no option in the dropdown menu for refusal to enter an SSN/TIN. As near as I can determine, the FCC requires it for "debt collection purposes."

How so? The box on Form 605 has a box for entering the applicants SSN/TIN or their FRN. Just use one or the other. How does this save any paperwork for the VE team?

Yes, as created by the National Council of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (NCVEC) it does. However, at the discretion of the particular VEC, they may require the candidate to have an FRN prior to taking the examination. My particular VEC has modified the 605 to permit the FRN only in that particular block. WE WILL NOT PERMIT SOMEONE TO TAKE THE EXAMINATION UNLESS THEY HAVE AN FRN.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.