RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators - New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 2:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Possible Error (FRN vs. SSN)?

I took my Technician test on Saturday, and passed. When I turned in my F605 before testing, I forgot to put down my FRN. I only put down my SSN. Will this cause any issues or delays getting my call sign?
Thank you
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2017, 4:19 PM

How did you take your first exam and have an FRN already ?.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 5:13 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Many VE teams require that you apply for an FRN before you take your Technician test. The FCC allows this.

Not sure what will happen if you used your SSN instead of FRN on your Form 605. The VEC may enter it that way and the FCC may realize that you already have an FRN or it may generate a new one.

Hopefully, k6cpo will respond to this thread as he seems to be up on FRN issues when it comes to testing situations.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 02-08-2017, 1:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
Many VE teams require that you apply for an FRN before you take your Technician test. The FCC allows this.

Not sure what will happen if you used your SSN instead of FRN on your Form 605. The VEC may enter it that way and the FCC may realize that you already have an FRN or it may generate a new one.

Hopefully, k6cpo will respond to this thread as he seems to be up on FRN issues when it comes to testing situations.
I appreciate your confidence in me, but I'm not an expert. In a lot of these cases I have to ask my VEC as he's been doing this kind of thing forever.

Some VECs accept SSNs as a matter of course and some require the candidate to have an FRN before taking an exam. My VEC (San Diego Amateur Radio Council) is one of the latter. I honestly don't know what happens at the FCC if a candidate has an FRN but puts their SSN on the 605, and the VEC enters the SSN in the batch file. If the VEC is willing to take the time, it is possible to search the database by the candidate's name and city/state to determine if they have an FRN, but the larger VECs probably don't do that.

My suggestion in this case is to get in touch with the VE team leader that administered the examination and make them aware of the situation. It's certainly possible for the team leader to get in touch with their VEC and make sure the situation doesn't lead to a delay.

I'm certainly going to ask my VEC about this situation and see what he says.
Old 02-09-2017, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted240 View Post
I took my Technician test on Saturday, and passed. When I turned in my F605 before testing, I forgot to put down my FRN. I only put down my SSN. Will this cause any issues or delays getting my call sign?
Thank you
I just got my call sign yesterday. I did not apply for an FRN before taking the exam; I just used my SSN. If you've already applied for an FRN and it shows up in the ULS, they might be able to connect the dots using your SSN and attach your call sign with your existing FRN. If not, FCC will assign you a new FRN and will show up in the database here:
License Search

Once you get your FRN from the database go here:
https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/enterFrnForPwdReset.do

It will prompt you to enter your FRN and take you through the steps of resetting/setting up your password.

After that you will get a tracking number which you can check up on here:
https://esupport.fcc.gov/onlinerequest.htm

The website says it takes about 3 days to process your FRN/Password process. I haven't gotten past that step yet. I'm waiting on an email so I can print/save my FCC license documentation. Once I get that, I'll be able to have access to EchoLink.

Last edited by Wackodrumr; 02-09-2017 at 9:44 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2017, 9:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you for all the help. The FCC connected the dots, and I got my callsign. KN4AVY. RR should post it in the database soon
Old 02-09-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all the help. The FCC connected the dots, and I got my callsign. KN4AVY. RR should post it in the database soon
An new customer for ham crazy is minted everyday ,congrats and welcome to the service, KN4AVY , the only problem with new callsigns is they have no history to research , mine is the same way got it 26 years ago but am the first holder .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2017, 2:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
A search of the ULS database by your name reveals two FRNs listed. One, ending in 0234 was issued 3/10/14 and has no licenses associated with it. The other, ending in 1300, issued 7/3/16 has your new Technician license associated with it.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, I saw that too. The one listed in 2014 is not me however.
Old 02-12-2017, 1:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Yes, I saw that too. The one listed in 2014 is not me however.
I suspected that might have been the case. I know all about name similarity. Apparently, someone with the same name as me is being sued by a bank for an unpaid debt and I keep getting solicitations for debt relief and legal representation in the mail.
Old 02-13-2017, 9:36 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default FRN vs SSN

I personally took my tech test before getting a FRN. I used my SSN but after passing the test and hearing that I needed to get a FRN, I went home that day and got one. License came in on time with no problems. They are able to connect the dots. Glad you got your ticket.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:53 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm an ARRL accredited VE, and routinely help administer tests in this area. We don't require them to get a FRN before testing, however, we do make sure they put it down instead of the SSN if they already have one, such as if they hold a GMRS license. We even routinely ask if they hold any other FCC license when we see they put down a SSN. We have had several applicants paperwork get significantly delayed as a 2nd FRN could be created and can cause issues with the creation of the license. This issue seemed to start sometime last year.
Old 04-15-2017, 3:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8ufv View Post
I'm an ARRL accredited VE, and routinely help administer tests in this area. We don't require them to get a FRN before testing, however, we do make sure they put it down instead of the SSN if they already have one, such as if they hold a GMRS license. We even routinely ask if they hold any other FCC license when we see they put down a SSN. We have had several applicants paperwork get significantly delayed as a 2nd FRN could be created and can cause issues with the creation of the license. This issue seemed to start sometime last year.
My VEC will not allow anyone to take an examination if they do not have an FRN. Even though the FCC ULS will accept an SSN we do not want it on any of our paperwork. This protects us from any repercussions if a candidate happens to suffer identity theft.

However, if someone shows up at a testing session without an FRN we won't arbitrarily turn them away. Instead we assist them in using a smart phone or tablet to obtain one. This happened to me just this morning. A gentleman showed up to take the Technician exam and didn't have an FRN. I allowed him to use my tablet to register on the ULS and he was able to take the exam. He passed...

Last edited by k6cpo; 04-15-2017 at 3:17 PM..
Old 06-15-2017, 1:01 AM
Was: k2ool
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Cool call

Quote:

Are you in the K-Navy? or at least the k4 -land navy? Good luck and have a nice time!