The RadioReference.com Forums

The RadioReference.com Forums (https://forums.radioreference.com/)
-   Getting Your License / New Operators (https://forums.radioreference.com/getting-your-license-new-operators/)
-   -   Re-instating expired license (https://forums.radioreference.com/getting-your-license-new-operators/348088-re-instating-expired-license.html)

LoveRadios 02-12-2017 2:24 AM

Re-instating expired license
 
I let my advance license expired about 5 yrs ago. Now I want to take the Tech test to get back on the air.
Is the test taken via paper or computer at VE?

thanks

muskrat39 02-12-2017 1:39 PM

The test I took was paper, and you don't have to stop at tech. If you pass tech you can immediately take the general, and if you pass it you can go for your extra. All tests can be taken in the same session for the same cost. So go for it. You might be surprised at how much you remember.

ko6jw_2 02-12-2017 1:42 PM

Paper as far as I know with the ARRL VEC. I'm a VE and I haven't heard anything to the contrary. If you passed Advanced you should be able to get Extra. The Extra test is now very similar to the old Advanced tests. You might be able to get your old call back.

k6cpo 02-12-2017 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveRadios (Post 2715208)
I let my advance license expired about 5 yrs ago. Now I want to take the Tech test to get back on the air.
Is the test taken via paper or computer at VE?

thanks

If you can prove you once held an Advanced License (a copy of your old license or record in the FCC database) you can be granted a General license just by taking the Technician exam. The FCC now allows for the grandfathering of previously held licenses if satisfactory proof is provided. You will not be granted an Advanced license and you won't get your old call sign back. However, you can apply for your old call sign as a vanity if it is available.

LoveRadios 02-13-2017 12:46 AM

Thanks K6CPO. Stupid me I mistakenly throw the old license away when I cleaned my file cabinet a year ago. I do find my call sign in the FCC database. Am I correct that I need to request a copy of the license from to FCC for the VE as proof?

Thanks.

n5acf 02-13-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveRadios (Post 2715775)
Thanks K6CPO. Stupid me I mistakenly throw the old license away when I cleaned my file cabinet a year ago. I do find my call sign in the FCC database. Am I correct that I need to request a copy of the license from to FCC for the VE as proof?

Thanks.

You may be able to print one from the FCC website. Check the tabs if your name is still attached to that call sign even if expired. If you are able please post that you can so others like you will know. hope this helps.

k6cpo 02-13-2017 1:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveRadios (Post 2715775)
Thanks K6CPO. Stupid me I mistakenly throw the old license away when I cleaned my file cabinet a year ago. I do find my call sign in the FCC database. Am I correct that I need to request a copy of the license from to FCC for the VE as proof?

Thanks.

A print-out of the record in the FCC database would be sufficient. It will also show an FRN, which you will need to put on your application when you take the Technician exam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n5acf (Post 2715947)
You may be able to print one from the FCC website. Check the tabs if your name is still attached to that call sign even if expired. If you are able please post that you can so others like you will know. hope this helps.

Once the license expires and goes beyond the two-year cancellation date, all downloadable authorizations (license copies) are purged from the record. However, as I said above, a copy of the license record as it appears in the FCC database is sufficient proof to show the license was once held.

LoveRadios 02-14-2017 2:14 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Reading the other threads, I need to get a FRN prior the test.

k6cpo 02-14-2017 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveRadios (Post 2716434)
Thanks for all the replies. Reading the other threads, I need to get a FRN prior the test.

If your call sign is in the FCC ULS database you already have one. It should be on the record.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger