Seriously? How long does it take?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahwg

Took my Technician's exam 2/4/2017 through a local club (the one I intend on joining as soon as my flippin' license come through) who are ARRL VEs. It's now 18 days later and the VEC up in Connecticut claims they haven't received the paperwork and they're blaming the US Postal Service for the delay. The VEs have been e-mailing trying to get answers, but they (the ARRL VEC) are claiming that they haven't heard from them, meanwhile the folks who took their exams through the Laurel VEC two weeks later already have their ticket!!!!!

I know joining the ARRL is usually considered good for Ham radio because of their advocacy for the service, but seriously if this is how they do first impressions, one wonders how many people are completely turned off by them. I am not buying their whole "The mail is slow" thing anymore. Did the USPS also mess with their e-mail?

I've been studying for my General ticket and I'm about ready to take the test (assuming I actually have a callsign by that time), but as much as I like the guys in the club I'm looking to join, I'm gonna do that with the Laurel VEs - yeah I know I can exercise the new privileges with the CSCE, but it's a matter of principle at this point!

Rant over, I will now step off my soap box.

KD8DVR

If you can contact the club yourself, ask them what their deal is and tell them you called the post office and ARRL. That isn't a normal wait time.

N2AL

I know that sometimes it takes a few weeks with the ARRL, as they snail mail their paperwork. Although uncommon, I have heard reports of it taking ham's several weeks to have their licenses issued or updated. When I tested I used WCARS (Western Carolina Amateur Radio Society) they had my license on the FCC's ULS website within two days. WCARS submits everything electronically. I am a VE with them and the turn around is usually pretty quick.

I would take KD8DVR's advice and call the club where you tested. They may be able to figure out why you have yet to receive your license.

Dahwg

If you can contact the club yourself, ask them what their deal is and tell them you called the post office and ARRL. That isn't a normal wait time.
KD8DVR, you're local! I think I've heard you on the EAARS system, haven't I? Or no... I think that was KD7KVR

I did check with the club, and they are great! In fact within about half an hour of getting off my soap box, I got an email stating that they had fixed the issue with the AARL and I should expect my callsign by tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dahwg

And then as if by the magic of the Internet rant... KI7KSB

I should have posted a rant sooner, it's internet magic and I will try to make my first contact... now.

Status
Not open for further replies.