RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators - New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 8:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Getting re-licensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofbiscuits View Post
I have gotten my ham license recently, KM6GCQ here hello everyone!, and I joined an off road group where some of the members use ham handsets and don't have licenses.

I do my due diligence and tell them they need to have it, telling them how simple and cheap it is, but I am wondering some things.

1. Can I get fined for talking to them? I have been on one trip with them and they only use it to tell when vehicles are stopped, they don't chat on them.

2. Do people here refuse to talk to people who don't have licenses?
How long and what did you have to accomplish to get your licence?
I had mine back in the 80s but lost interest (got married had a kid)
Thought about doing it all over again.
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2017, 3:27 PM

Search the FCC Archive for your old license.

ULS License Archive - Archive License Search

When you find it print it out. Then look up on ARRL.org for the Volunteer Examiner in your area. The VE can help you with th next step..
Old 03-17-2017, 4:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just grab a study guide book (like this W5YI : Product : 2014-2018 Technician Book & Software Package) and study the material. The test isn't that hard and testing sessions are pretty easy to find. Check out the ARRL web site (Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area) or the W5YI web site (W5YI-VEC : Amateur Examiners) and you should find a session nearby. Also check out any local ham clubs since many hold test sessions on a regular basis (or on demand when you're ready). Often they hold classes if you prefer to study as a group.

One thing to think about if you were a general class or above previously, if you bring in your old license the rules now state that once you pass the Tech exam, your old license will qualify you for an upgrade to your old license class, with a few exceptions. Those exceptions are mostly that an old advanced class license will only give you an upgrade to general since they no longer issue advanced class licenses (although you can renew them if they're still valid). The others are basically around your old license must've simply expired and not have been cancelled by the FCC due to violations. Exam Element Credit