Took my test yesterday and passed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumbum

I decided to take my test and passed yesterday, it has been 23 years since my electronics education in college and wanted to see if I could pass.now once I get my callsign I will have to figure out what I am going to do, maybe a 2 meter and a DMR radio, I don't now, I have no equipment and have to research on where to start now, I didn't take my General because they didn't tell me it was no extra charge and I only came in with what I needed cash wise, oh well maybe take it next

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I decided to take my test and passed yesterday, it has been 23 years since my electronics education in college and wanted to see if I could pass.now once I get my callsign I will have to figure out what I am going to do, maybe a 2 meter and a DMR radio, I don't now, I have no equipment and have to research on where to start now, I didn't take my General because they didn't tell me it was no extra charge and I only came in with what I needed cash wise, oh well maybe take it next

Good Job! Welcome to the hobby! :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Only a couple of things left.

1. Find a local or online radio dealer you are comfortable with.
2. Arrange for your paycheck to be direct deposited to them :)

Welcome !

bharvey2

Welcome! I kind of did it the same way although it was a little longer between college and ham test. I did do both the tech and general at the same time. I did a little brushing up before I took the test and did a few practice tests. Things came back pretty quick. Take a shot at the general. I suspect you'll not have any troubles. As was mentioned above though, the tough part is going to be paying for your new hobby.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Don't be alarmed by the talk of needing a Brinks truck in your garage to pay for the hobby! Take your time, get advice here and from other hams and don't be afraid of used gear!!! I didn't have a new rig for the first 25+ years...

and CONGRATS

Last edited:

cmdrwill

Congratulations.... now the learning starts. Many things that were NOT on the Ham test that you will have to learn.

Drumbum

Congratulations.... now the learning starts. Many things that were NOT on the Ham test that you will have to learn.

yes, Im starting to see that. heck just finding a radio is difficult decision. I have decided on the Yaesu VX-8DR as my first radio with the TYT MD-2017 as a DMR radio which im very interested in .there are a few DMR repeaters around here. Im also applying for my DMR ID# with DMR-MARC.
The FCC granted me yesterday my callsign is KN4ECZ

cmdrwill

Do NOT forget to get out on Field Day this weekend.

Check on ARRL website, Field Day Locator has listing of ops in your area.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
yes, Im starting to see that. heck just finding a radio is difficult decision. I have decided on the Yaesu VX-8DR as my first radio with the TYT MD-2017 as a DMR radio which im very interested in .there are a few DMR repeaters around here. Im also applying for my DMR ID# with DMR-MARC.
The FCC granted me yesterday my callsign is KN4ECZ
If you have an BrandMiester repeater connected to the system,give me a call on 3100 USA Bridge (KB5ZCS) would like to to have a Qso with you,73's.........

Drumbum

If you have an BrandMiester repeater connected to the system,give me a call on 3100 USA Bridge (KB5ZCS) would like to to have a Qso with you,73's.........
If the 2 I should be able to hit from here aren't will an open spot work? I'm still exploring/researching the capabilities of the open spot

Drumbum

I am feeling so oooold over here with my KE4 call.....Just put me into a retirement home! :D
Marshall KE4ZNR
LOL I think my dad got his in 68 , his is K4NRF, nice and short. Unfortunately he has Alzheimer's and had to stop, I believe he used to always be talking on HF with his Orion 2 before he became unable

Status
Not open for further replies.