New To Ham, Have a Few Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogarcher

Premium Subscriber
I am a newbie when it comes to ham. I get interested in radios because of a family friend who I knew all my life. After his recent, sudden passing I decided to get my Ham License kinda as a tribute to him.

But now I'm ready to set up my shack, and have no clue what I'm doing. I had learned how to do mobile installs in vehicles, however as far as setting up indoors with an out door antenna I'm lost. I've tried to dive into the content on youtube, but there is just so much to sort through, is there any go to sites or specific youtube videos to use?

Thank you in advance,
KG5TOU

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Go to the ARRL website. They have a little of everything plus links for other information. It's only a starting place for you.

KC5AKB

Congrats on the Lic
Lots of answers to your question .
With a few more posts you can use the pm section of this form.
I would be glad to talk with you.
Find a local Club ( hard to do sometimes)
Look around my email is out there on other sites

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
You're going to get a TON of different answers Sam. In addition to this site, try snooping around:

qrz.com

eham.net

arrl.org

Or do a Google search for Ham Radio books. Welcome to the hobby...it's a BLAST!

Mike KK2DOG

Last edited:

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
Also, congrats on the license, now welcome to the great part of ham radio, You mentioned YouTube, that's a place to start, but I agree, there is a "shotgun type approach" to most anything found there, Here at RR the forums have good info and mostly good "nuts" to help you out & answer your questions. With the other websites listed above will get you started and pretty soon your hard drive, bookmarks and notebooks will be full of websites, projects, ideas, and the such. You might even check with some of the other hams on your local repeater(s)

**for the record, I did include myself as one of the afore mentioned "nuts"

Golay

I suggest you find a ham club near you to help you.
Perhaps your friend was a member of a club. You could ask the surviving spouse.
I feel the hands on help of hams near you would be the most valuable resource to get you on the air in the safest and most cost efficient way. Reaching out to other area hams can also save you lots of money. They may have a hunk of coax, an antenna or two, hardware, etc, that you can get for far less than paying new. Even free. (I like free).

Status
Not open for further replies.