Are these guys legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979lee

My Ham licence is due for renewal in november, today i get this letter from
"amateur radio service" arlington, tx.
they want $7.00 renewal fee.
they have all my info correct, but anyone can get your info these days.

so anyone else get one? or is this total bs:confused::confused::confused:

thanks

Attachments

• 1020.jpg
    1020.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 650

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
The W5YI group has been around a long time....they are legit.

w5yi.com

Jus making a buck I guess.....

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Don't pay $7.00 to have them do it, it's easy enough to do on your own for free.

This is just a money grab. The wording on the front is poorly chosen, in my opinion.

1979lee

Don't pay $7.00 to have them do it, it's easy enough to do on your own for free.

This is just a money grab. The wording on the front is poorly chosen, in my opinion.

FREE? say wahhhht?...hmmm:mad: well my paper schredder's getting FED tonight!

rivardj, mmckenna

i owe you 2 a beer!

thanks fellas. case closed on this one.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
While W5YI has found several ways to separate hams from their money, this is a valuable service for some.

If you don't have a computer (well, you aren't on here, I guess), if your computer's web browser doesn't get along with the FCC's web site, if you don't know your FRN (it's on your license), if you don't know the password to the account associated with your FRN (the FCC will help you reset it), or if you don't know which boxes to check to renew your license, then the license renewal services offered by the ARRL and W5YI can be very useful.

OTOH, assuming you can negotiate all the above hurdles, you can renew your license yourself for free.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. This made me look up on my tack board and note that my General is due for renewal on 3-18-2018... :lol:

radiopro

Legit?

They are legit but you can renew yourself on line without paying them. There are several companies that send official looking letters to licensees, especially commercial licensees and actually get payments for the 5 minutes of work they do.
-M-

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Some of those companies prey on Part 90 (and other Parts) licensees. Since the fees for renewal or modification are much higher for Part 90, these companies can make a real killing off unsuspecting or unknowing licensees. My well meaning, but unknowledgeable chief keeps handing me those notices asking if we should do whatever it is they tell us we should do. I keep shredding them. We're a governmental licensee and are exempt from fees. I am not paying someone to renew our licenses when I can do it in about 2 minutes online at no charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.