Not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICH1209

Thank you all for letting me be part of the forum here. I recently became interested in Ham Radio and have been studying with hamtestonline for my tech and general license. I'm pretty much ready for the tests and I have been working on my code skills as well even though it's not required. A local ham loaned me one of his radios FT-840 and a wire antenna so I could listen while I prepared for my test.

I'm sure how to say this without offending anyone but what I hear on the radio troubles me a little. I have heard all kinds of arguments, threats to show up at someones house, recordings of weird things and a 14 year old was cqing and was told to by others that was their frequency and to move on.

I have listened on 80m 40m 20m and 17m. I also have a CB that I listen to because I'm by a busy truck stop.

Some of the CB guys are nicer than the ham guys I hear.

What troubles me is the fact that ham radio call signs identify you and your location. From what I have been hearing there are a lot of people with ill intent within ham radio.

I'm not sure what to do and I'm a little nervous about getting into this hobby after hearing all this on the radio. Everything I have been studying says you can't do this type of thing. Is there any enforcement of the rules I'm studying about?

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.