Passed the Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

elrod

I took the Tech test on Tues. of last week and passed.:p
My license and call appeared in the FCC data base yesterday.:lol:
Having been into scanners for many years I don't know much about Ham radios.
Not wanting to make a big investment yet, the VEs said you can pick up a CCR for $40-$99
and maybe this would be a good way for me to get started.
I know everyone has their own opinions on CCRadios. Just looking for a little advice.

Chuck

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on passing the test and welcome to the hobby! For your price range you might also consider the Alinco DJ-500T 2 meter / 440 MHz dual band HT for $99. It is built to MIL-STD810G standards and has a much better receiver (more selective) than the typical CCRs. This may become an important issue if you decide to connect it to a mobile or base antenna. In areas with strong broadcast or paging transmitters nearby, the CCRs tend to get overloaded which can prevent them from receiving a desired signal.
https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/1656.html

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on passing your ham exam and welcome to the greatest hobby in the world!

Pardon my ignorance but what is a CCR? That's a new one for me hi hi!

Have to echo the advice of SteveSimpkin though, Universal Radio is a great dealer, check out their catalog of ham equipment, they've been in business for many years and always a pleasure to deal with. Don't work for them, I am just a satisfied customer.

Have fun.

bharvey2

Congratulations on passing your ham exam and welcome to the greatest hobby in the world!

Pardon my ignorance but what is a CCR? That's a new one for me hi hi!

Have to echo the advice of SteveSimpkin though, Universal Radio is a great dealer, check out their catalog of ham equipment, they've been in business for many years and always a pleasure to deal with. Don't work for them, I am just a satisfied customer.

Have fun.

CCR = Cheap Chinese Radio

While some adhere to the moniker, I've had pretty good luck with the ones I do own. YMMV.

Hans13

Congratulations on passing! I second SteveSimpkin's suggestion of an Alinco DJ-500T. That's what I use and it serves me very well. I paid, I think, $79 on sale at GigaParts.

elrod

Thanks to all that have replied.

Hans13, I see that programing software is available for this radio.
Can it also be programed by hand or only with software?
I am not even sure what you would program into a ham radio.

Chuck

Hans13

Hans13, I see that programing software is available for this radio.
Can it also be programed by hand or only with software?
I am not even sure what you would program into a ham radio.

It can be programmed either way and both ways. I find computer programming of radios more convenient most of the time for entering long frequency/channel lists and for changing some of the radio's settings. It's nice to have backup files to edit instead of manually using the keypad to make changes. I just wish it was supported by Chirp*. (*It might be by now but I haven't checked in a while.)

The DJ-500T is Part 15 (amateur only) and the DJ-500TB is Part 90 (commercial and amateur). The VFO on both can be opened up through the keypad and operate the same as each other afterwards.

k6cpo

Congrats on passing the test and welcome to the hobby! For your price range you might also consider the Alinco DJ-500T 2 meter / 440 MHz dual band HT for $99. It is built to MIL-STD810G standards and has a much better receiver (more selective) than the typical CCRs. This may become an important issue if you decide to connect it to a mobile or base antenna. In areas with strong broadcast or paging transmitters nearby, the CCRs tend to get overloaded which can prevent them from receiving a desired signal.
https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/1656.html

That's a good price for a decent HT. I have a couple of older Alinco HTs and while one has an audio issue (I got it that way) the other works like a dream.

Another good HT that is popular with new hams is the Yaesu FT-60R. These are priced higher than the Alinco mentioned above, but are also virtually bulletproof also, I had mine aboard an Amtrak train to use as a scanner a couple of years ago and accidentally bashed it against something. The windoe over the LCD is cracked, but the LCD wasn't effected and the radio still functions perfectly.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007323

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Suggest DMR radio

Take a look at the TYT MD-380. Yep a CCR but you'd have 440 and DMR!! They also have the MD2017 if you want VHF/UHF and DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.