Wondering about two way radio licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigwheelin540

I have a Baofeng UV-5r and was wondering what type of license do you have to have to use these? Is it an Amateur Radio License? A GMRS License? Where Can I get this License from? I am also hearing that it has to be a FCC License. Where can I get that from? Please post a link to where I can get the license.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Depends entirely on what frequencies you are using. There is no one license that will cover all the frequencies these radios will work on.

The type of license you need really depends on what you plan to use the radio for.

Amateur radio is great for making random contacts with strangers. There are allocated slices of spectrum in many places, but for these radios you'd be able to use the 2 meter VHF and 70 centimeter UHF bands.

GMRS license is more useful for family use. There are some dedicated UHF frequencies availlable.

A business license would be good if you were using the radios for your business.

Licenses -only- come from the FCC for these sorts of applications.

The type of license you need to apply for will depend on what you want to do. The licenses for amateur, GMRS and Business use are all different.

Amateur radio requires taking a 35 question multiple choice test covering amateur radio rules, operating practices and some very basic radio theory. The amateur radio license ONLY covers you, no one else. Each person using the radio on amateur radio frequencies will need to have their own valid FCC amateur radio license.

GMRS requires paying a license fee, filling out a form, and waiting for the license to be issued. The GMRS license will cover you and your immediate family (not friends/neighbors/co-workers, they have to get their own license)

Business licenses will depend on what you are doing. There are "itinerant" licenses for simple use. Some frequencies will require the services of a frequency coordinator to help you find suitable frequencies that are available in your area. The license will cover you and your employees.

You might hear about "MURS", Multi Use Radio Service. MURS does not require applying for an FCC license. Problem is, these radios do not have the proper FCC type certification for use on the 5 MURS channels. Legally, you cannot use them there, although some people do anyway.

k6cpo

All radio licenses are issued by the FCC.

The Baofeng UV-5R is primarily an amateur radio, although some versions are certified for use in the Land Mobile Radio Service. It is not legal to use on the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS.)

An amateur radio license is probably the easiest and least expensive to obtain. It requires a 35 question examination administered by one of fourteen Volunteer Examiner Coordinators in the US. These are organizations of licensed amateur radio operators authorized to give the examinations. Once you pass the entry-level Technician examination and are issued a call sign you may operate on frequency bands designated by the FCC for the amateur service, but nowhere else. I would recommend the book "Ham Radio for Dummies" as a good starting point.

The Land Mobile Radio Service is primarily used by businesses and similar entities. The licenses are costly and issued for specific frequencies only. Not advisable for casual communications.

nd5y

Status
Not open for further replies.