RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators


Getting Your License / New Operators - New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2017, 1:19 PM
   
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Default Callsign wait

Just FYI - it took 14 days for my call to show up. What a wait that was. Now I'm waiting to see how long a vanity call takes.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2017, 5:01 PM
W9BU's Avatar
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 5,298
Default

Vanity callsigns take about 18 days.

AE7Q's Amateur Radio Database Query Tools
__________________
Lead Wiki Manager and Forum Moderator.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2017, 7:26 PM
k6cpo's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashtruck-2600 View Post
Just FYI - it took 14 days for my call to show up. What a wait that was. Now I'm waiting to see how long a vanity call takes.
Yep. That's one of the flaws in the current VEC system for administering amateur radio license exams.

As far as I know, every one of the 14 VECs sends their results to the FCC with an electronic batch file. The FCC data base usually updates fairly quickly after receiving the batch file. Where the problem exists is in the method by which the VE team administering the exams get the results to the VEC. I know that some VECs, like the ARRL, have their VE teams send the results in by Priority Mail. Even with the quickest service, this still takes several days and if the VE team doesn't get the package mailed in a timely manner, it's just delays things further.

With the technology that's currently (and has been for a number of years) there is no reason why the VE team leader can't scan the paperwork and email a file (PDF works well) to the VEC the same day as the exam. I'm a VE Team Leader for one of the smaller VECs and I do this every time I administer an exam. For an exam that takes place on a Saturday morning, the successful candidates usually have their call signs the following Monday morning. We conducted one exam session on a Friday morning and the call signs were up the same day in the evening.

There is absolutely no reason someone should have to wait two weeks for their call sign.

Last edited by k6cpo; 11-09-2017 at 7:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2017, 2:26 AM
kma371's Avatar
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 5,907
Default

You're complaining about 14 days? Back when I got my calls sign it took 4 months
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:25 AM
edweirdFL's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 309
Default

The AE7Q website is right on the money with it's explanation about how the vanity callsign process works with the FCC. Assuming your request passes the initial Redlight check, it should be a simple matter of waiting for it to batch process after the required waiting period.

If there are multiple requests for the callsign, you will see them and can figure out your odds in the random lottery on the process date.

I requested my vanity call the day first day that I could, and it was assigned right on schedule after the waiting period. As the replies above mentioned, there's sometimes a delay in the process where paperwork goes from VEs to VECs to FCC but for vanity call requests that you do directly in the FCC system, this isn't an issue.
__________________
TX/RX = TH-D74A IC-W32A IC-T7H IC-7300 IC-7100 FT-817ND
RX = BCD996T Pro-96 Pro-97 OS535(2) IC-R7100 Pro-90 AR8000
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashtruck-2600 View Post
Just FYI - it took 14 days for my call to show up. What a wait that was. Now I'm waiting to see how long a vanity call takes.


My first call sign showed up in the FCC database the day after passing the exam. Actually, it was less than 24 hours.

Not sure about the vanity cal sign thing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 1:49 AM
KC5AKB's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Texas
Posts: 242
Default

Esloser congratulations
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 315
Default

My vanity took 18 days. That was almost a month ago and RR still hasn't updated my profile....
__________________
Motorola XPR6550, HT1250, CDM1550LS+, XTS5000, CP200, CP150, CP200d, XPR7550e, 2 MCS2000, 2 I355, HT750
TYT MD380
Kenwood TK880
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 6:19 PM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5AKB View Post
Esloser congratulations


Thanks! Should update my username yo KD2PLQ.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:22 AM
TailGator911's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fairborn, OH
Posts: 634
Default

What kma371 said! I think I waited almost 2 weeks before my callsign (paper) arrived. Good ol snail mail

4 days is phenomenal...to some of us lol

JD
kf4anc
__________________
SDS100, TRX-1, BCD536HP, WS-1065, BCT15X, BC895XLT, PRO-2006, PRO-2035, BC125AT, PRO-2051
ICOM R75, ICOM 746 PRO, YAESU FRG-7, YAESU 2800M, YAESU VX-7R, YAESU FT-2DR, FT-857D
SDR#
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2018, 5:39 PM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Default

My paper copy showed up today. I passed the test last Tuesday. Call sign was in the database less than 24 hours later.

73ís

Kd2plq


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2018, 4:13 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6cpo View Post
Yep. That's one of the flaws in the current VEC system for administering amateur radio license exams.

As far as I know, every one of the 14 VECs sends their results to the FCC with an electronic batch file. The FCC data base usually updates fairly quickly after receiving the batch file. Where the problem exists is in the method by which the VE team administering the exams get the results to the VEC. I know that some VECs, like the ARRL, have their VE teams send the results in by Priority Mail. Even with the quickest service, this still takes several days and if the VE team doesn't get the package mailed in a timely manner, it's just delays things further.

With the technology that's currently (and has been for a number of years) there is no reason why the VE team leader can't scan the paperwork and email a file (PDF works well) to the VEC the same day as the exam. I'm a VE Team Leader for one of the smaller VECs and I do this every time I administer an exam. For an exam that takes place on a Saturday morning, the successful candidates usually have their call signs the following Monday morning. We conducted one exam session on a Friday morning and the call signs were up the same day in the evening.

There is absolutely no reason someone should have to wait two weeks for their call sign.
I can tell you why mine didn't get filed via internet. The examiner didn't even own a computer.
__________________
KD9KSO

Commercial SEL/Instrument
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2018, 3:18 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 13
Default

How much does a vanity sign cost?
How do you get one?
Just passed the Technician and General.
Might be interested in a vanity call sign so I can remember it.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2018, 6:02 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMFT View Post
How much does a vanity sign cost?
How do you get one?
Just passed the Technician and General.
Might be interested in a vanity call sign so I can remember it.
Apply through the FCC ULS system. I think they are free these days.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2018, 1:28 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The Intermountain West
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMFT View Post
How much does a vanity sign cost?
How do you get one?
Just passed the Technician and General.
Might be interested in a vanity call sign so I can remember it.
It's free. Log into the ULS, (fcc.gov,)click on my licenses, update license, then on the other side of the page click on request vanity call sign, follow the instructions.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions