RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators - New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 1:19 PM

Default Callsign wait

Just FYI - it took 14 days for my call to show up. What a wait that was. Now I'm waiting to see how long a vanity call takes.
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2017, 5:01 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Vanity callsigns take about 18 days.

AE7Q's Amateur Radio Database Query Tools

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 11-09-2017, 7:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashtruck-2600 View Post
Just FYI - it took 14 days for my call to show up. What a wait that was. Now I'm waiting to see how long a vanity call takes.
Yep. That's one of the flaws in the current VEC system for administering amateur radio license exams.

As far as I know, every one of the 14 VECs sends their results to the FCC with an electronic batch file. The FCC data base usually updates fairly quickly after receiving the batch file. Where the problem exists is in the method by which the VE team administering the exams get the results to the VEC. I know that some VECs, like the ARRL, have their VE teams send the results in by Priority Mail. Even with the quickest service, this still takes several days and if the VE team doesn't get the package mailed in a timely manner, it's just delays things further.

With the technology that's currently (and has been for a number of years) there is no reason why the VE team leader can't scan the paperwork and email a file (PDF works well) to the VEC the same day as the exam. I'm a VE Team Leader for one of the smaller VECs and I do this every time I administer an exam. For an exam that takes place on a Saturday morning, the successful candidates usually have their call signs the following Monday morning. We conducted one exam session on a Friday morning and the call signs were up the same day in the evening.

There is absolutely no reason someone should have to wait two weeks for their call sign.

Last edited by k6cpo; 11-09-2017 at 7:48 PM..
Old 11-10-2017, 2:26 AM
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

You're complaining about 14 days? Back when I got my calls sign it took 4 months
Old 11-10-2017, 10:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The AE7Q website is right on the money with it's explanation about how the vanity callsign process works with the FCC. Assuming your request passes the initial Redlight check, it should be a simple matter of waiting for it to batch process after the required waiting period.

If there are multiple requests for the callsign, you will see them and can figure out your odds in the random lottery on the process date.

I requested my vanity call the day first day that I could, and it was assigned right on schedule after the waiting period. As the replies above mentioned, there's sometimes a delay in the process where paperwork goes from VEs to VECs to FCC but for vanity call requests that you do directly in the FCC system, this isn't an issue.
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashtruck-2600 View Post

My first call sign showed up in the FCC database the day after passing the exam. Actually, it was less than 24 hours.

Not sure about the vanity cal sign thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2018, 1:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Esloser congratulations
Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My vanity took 18 days. That was almost a month ago and RR still hasn't updated my profile....
Old 04-02-2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5AKB View Post
Esloser congratulations

Thanks! Should update my username yo KD2PLQ.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:22 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What kma371 said! I think I waited almost 2 weeks before my callsign (paper) arrived. Good ol snail mail

4 days is phenomenal...to some of us lol

JD
kf4anc
Old 04-03-2018, 5:39 PM

My paper copy showed up today. I passed the test last Tuesday. Call sign was in the database less than 24 hours later.

73ís

Kd2plq

Old 04-09-2018, 4:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6cpo View Post
Yep. That's one of the flaws in the current VEC system for administering amateur radio license exams.

As far as I know, every one of the 14 VECs sends their results to the FCC with an electronic batch file. The FCC data base usually updates fairly quickly after receiving the batch file. Where the problem exists is in the method by which the VE team administering the exams get the results to the VEC. I know that some VECs, like the ARRL, have their VE teams send the results in by Priority Mail. Even with the quickest service, this still takes several days and if the VE team doesn't get the package mailed in a timely manner, it's just delays things further.

With the technology that's currently (and has been for a number of years) there is no reason why the VE team leader can't scan the paperwork and email a file (PDF works well) to the VEC the same day as the exam. I'm a VE Team Leader for one of the smaller VECs and I do this every time I administer an exam. For an exam that takes place on a Saturday morning, the successful candidates usually have their call signs the following Monday morning. We conducted one exam session on a Friday morning and the call signs were up the same day in the evening.

There is absolutely no reason someone should have to wait two weeks for their call sign.
I can tell you why mine didn't get filed via internet. The examiner didn't even own a computer.

Commercial SEL/Instrument
Old 08-16-2018, 3:18 AM

How much does a vanity sign cost?
How do you get one?
Just passed the Technician and General.
Might be interested in a vanity call sign so I can remember it.
Old 08-16-2018, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMFT View Post
How do you get one?
Apply through the FCC ULS system. I think they are free these days.
Old 08-16-2018, 1:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMFT View Post
How do you get one?
It's free. Log into the ULS, (fcc.gov,)click on my licenses, update license, then on the other side of the page click on request vanity call sign, follow the instructions.