Callsign wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just FYI - it took 14 days for my call to show up. What a wait that was. Now I'm waiting to see how long a vanity call takes.

k6cpo

Just FYI - it took 14 days for my call to show up. What a wait that was. Now I'm waiting to see how long a vanity call takes.

Yep. That's one of the flaws in the current VEC system for administering amateur radio license exams.

As far as I know, every one of the 14 VECs sends their results to the FCC with an electronic batch file. The FCC data base usually updates fairly quickly after receiving the batch file. Where the problem exists is in the method by which the VE team administering the exams get the results to the VEC. I know that some VECs, like the ARRL, have their VE teams send the results in by Priority Mail. Even with the quickest service, this still takes several days and if the VE team doesn't get the package mailed in a timely manner, it's just delays things further.

With the technology that's currently (and has been for a number of years) there is no reason why the VE team leader can't scan the paperwork and email a file (PDF works well) to the VEC the same day as the exam. I'm a VE Team Leader for one of the smaller VECs and I do this every time I administer an exam. For an exam that takes place on a Saturday morning, the successful candidates usually have their call signs the following Monday morning. We conducted one exam session on a Friday morning and the call signs were up the same day in the evening.

There is absolutely no reason someone should have to wait two weeks for their call sign.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
You're complaining about 14 days? Back when I got my calls sign it took 4 months :)

edweirdFL

The AE7Q website is right on the money with it's explanation about how the vanity callsign process works with the FCC. Assuming your request passes the initial Redlight check, it should be a simple matter of waiting for it to batch process after the required waiting period.

If there are multiple requests for the callsign, you will see them and can figure out your odds in the random lottery on the process date.

I requested my vanity call the day first day that I could, and it was assigned right on schedule after the waiting period. As the replies above mentioned, there's sometimes a delay in the process where paperwork goes from VEs to VECs to FCC but for vanity call requests that you do directly in the FCC system, this isn't an issue.

Esloser

My first call sign showed up in the FCC database the day after passing the exam. Actually, it was less than 24 hours.

Not sure about the vanity cal sign thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2NEC

My vanity took 18 days. That was almost a month ago and RR still hasn't updated my profile....

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
What kma371 said! I think I waited almost 2 weeks before my callsign (paper) arrived. Good ol snail mail

4 days is phenomenal...to some of us lol

JD
kf4anc

Esloser

My paper copy showed up today. I passed the test last Tuesday. Call sign was in the database less than 24 hours later.

73’s

Kd2plq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD9KSO

Yep. That's one of the flaws in the current VEC system for administering amateur radio license exams.

As far as I know, every one of the 14 VECs sends their results to the FCC with an electronic batch file. The FCC data base usually updates fairly quickly after receiving the batch file. Where the problem exists is in the method by which the VE team administering the exams get the results to the VEC. I know that some VECs, like the ARRL, have their VE teams send the results in by Priority Mail. Even with the quickest service, this still takes several days and if the VE team doesn't get the package mailed in a timely manner, it's just delays things further.

With the technology that's currently (and has been for a number of years) there is no reason why the VE team leader can't scan the paperwork and email a file (PDF works well) to the VEC the same day as the exam. I'm a VE Team Leader for one of the smaller VECs and I do this every time I administer an exam. For an exam that takes place on a Saturday morning, the successful candidates usually have their call signs the following Monday morning. We conducted one exam session on a Friday morning and the call signs were up the same day in the evening.

There is absolutely no reason someone should have to wait two weeks for their call sign.

I can tell you why mine didn't get filed via internet. The examiner didn't even own a computer.

LSMFT

How much does a vanity sign cost?
How do you get one?
Just passed the Technician and General.
Might be interested in a vanity call sign so I can remember it.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
How do you get one?

Apply through the FCC ULS system. I think they are free these days.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
How do you get one?

It's free. Log into the ULS, (fcc.gov,)click on my licenses, update license, then on the other side of the page click on request vanity call sign, follow the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.