How To Restore My Old Call Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA6ZHL

Hello All,

I was licensed at the age of 12 in 1963 as a Technician Class. I let my license lapse a long time ago (High School / Girls / Life). After 55 years, I'm now prepping to get licensed again, only this time I'm going for all three exams on the same day to just go ahead and make the jump to Extra.

My question is this. How do I reclaim my old call sign again? Can I just ask for it when I pass the exams, or do I have to wait, get a random call sign assigned, then make a request to get my old call sign restored as a "vanity" call sign?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
If you have an expired license you have to retest as you stated.

The VEC's cannot assign you your old call - only the FCC can do that. You would have to request it as a vanity call and that is assuming that it was not reissued to someone else. The only choices you have are keeping and existing call, if you have one, or taking the next call sign in the pool.

The first step would be to check now to see if your old call is available. I use this site:

HamCallLookup.com -- the world's top ham radio call sign lookup services

If your call was WA6ZHL it looks like it is available. Expired in 1998. Inactive in 2000.

There are also services that will process (for a fee) vanity call requests. I did my own. I selected several possible calls. I did get my first choice. It takes about 18 days not counting holidays etc. for the FCC to process vanity call requests.

The good thing is that processing applications after you pass the exams should take a few days unlike the 8-12 weeks in the old days.

Good luck!

Last edited:

edweirdFL

You should go ahead and register on the FCC ULS website for a FRN account today. Yes, prior to passing any tests or getting a license. Write down your FRN number and password, you will use it and not your SSN on the paperwork you fill out when taking your tests. FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home

If you want the FCC to mail paper copies of your license to you, you can set the option up saying you want communication by mail at the same time you create your account, otherwise it will all be via email.

After you take and pass your tests and use the FRN on your paperwork, your callsign will be sequentially assigned by the FCC and show up online in their database. I'd figure on 10-14 days after passing depending on how quickly the VE's mail forms, and how soon the VEC forwards them to the FCC. Once you see your new callsign online, you can fill out a vanity callsign request for your old callsign. You will need to have checked to see if it is available.

This website has the most comprehensive info on the vanity callsign process that I have found online. AE7Q's Amateur Radio Database Query Tools

You can use the wait time after passing your exams but before seeing your callsign show up online to study how to fill out the online vanity call request form at the FCC site and monitor the status of your request. You will use that FRN account online to do this.

WA6ZHL

Passed All My License Exams

Hello All,

As a follow up, I took and passed all three exams this last Saturday, earning myself an Extra-class Ticket. This was a personal goal I had set for myself months ago, and I'm glad now this first step is behind me.

Now, I just need to figure out what gear to start with...

Attachments

• My Certificate - 800 PX.jpg
    My Certificate - 800 PX.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 687

WA6ZHL

After a 50-year hiatus since my Novice days, I just now got my new call sign issued at 2:30 PM today: AJ6AR. I just might keep that one... My first and middle initials are "AR"

Happy boy here..

Status
Not open for further replies.