RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators - New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 3:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Finally got my callsign!

I passed my Tech license exam last week on Monday, and after a looooong 9 days my callsign showed up in the database! I'll be lurking for a bit while I learn more about amateur radio, and I'm hoping to make my first contact soon. I picked up a Baofeng UV-5R several months ago to listen in to local nets, and it really gave me the bug to get licensed. I now have a Yaesu VX-6R, which is far nicer in build quality and really lets me scan a lot of frequencies. My first project will be to install a mobile setup in my vehicle. After I move out of this apartment I will look at setting up a nice station.

I hope to hear some of you on the air soon!
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2017, 4:55 PM

Congratulations! My wife and I both have VX-6Rs and love them.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey! Congratulations on the Tech license. I see you list Kingsville, Kleberg County as your QTH.

I used to own South Texas Radio and Telecommunications Service (GE Service Station) in Kingsville. I had contracts with the City of Kingsville, Kleberg County Sheriffs Dept. and both the King and Armstrong ranches. I also serviced many of the oil companies in the area. The downturn of the oil economy found me removing more gear than installing new radios.

I sold my interest in STR&T back in 1993 and moved up here to Indiana. I wonder if the Motorola shop is still around?
Old 11-24-2017, 11:42 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Congrats on the ham ticket welcome to the world of ham radio.....
Old 11-24-2017, 11:46 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post
Hey! Congratulations on the Tech license. I see you list Kingsville, Kleberg County as your QTH.

I used to own South Texas Radio and Telecommunications Service (GE Service Station) in Kingsville. I had contracts with the City of Kingsville, Kleberg County Sheriffs Dept. and both the King and Armstrong ranches. I also serviced many of the oil companies in the area. The downturn of the oil economy found me removing more gear than installing new radios.

I sold my interest in STR&T back in 1993 and moved up here to Indiana. I wonder if the Motorola shop is still around?
What street was the Motorola shop on,Kingsville has a pretty good 2 meter repeater covers all the way to the check point............
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2017, 12:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

Congratulations Chris! You will enjoy the amateur radio service. It has many adventures to it.
You can experiment to your hearts content; antennas, transmitter, receiver, etc.
If you ever have a question, get on here at RR and ask away.
Old 11-24-2017, 1:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb5zcs View Post
What street was the Motorola shop on,Kingsville has a pretty good 2 meter repeater covers all the way to the check point............
IIRC, it was on S. 6th Street (Business 77). My GESS was located on W. King Avenue in what Google Maps now shows as the King Street Barber Shop. The white building just south of the shop was the installation garage which was large enough to accommodate up to three vehicles at once.

The 2m should have excellent coverage. Unless it's been relocated, the 2m antenna was on top of one of my towers just south of the FCC Monitoring Station (now closed of course). The antenna is (was) at 565'.

Last edited by N4GIX; 11-24-2017 at 1:38 PM..
Old 11-25-2017, 11:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Welcome to the fun
Old 11-26-2017, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5AKB View Post
Welcome to the fun
Congratulations and now the real learning begins.
Old 11-27-2017, 6:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post

I've lived here for about 4 years, haven't seen a Motorola shop unfortunately. The repeater at Dick Kleberg park is still running, but I have yet to hear anyone on it. I transmit on it once a day hoping someone will answer, but no one ever does. There's some semi active repeaters north of here in Calallen and Corpus Christi (STARC). Wish you were still around so I could get a rag chew in!
Old 11-28-2017, 11:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg5wdc View Post
I've lived here for about 4 years, haven't seen a Motorola shop unfortunately. The repeater at Dick Kleberg park is still running, but I have yet to hear anyone on it. I transmit on it once a day hoping someone will answer, but no one ever does. There's some semi active repeaters north of here in Calallen and Corpus Christi (STARC). Wish you were still around so I could get a rag chew in!
Well, there weren't all that many hams in the area when I was there either. In fact, most of the hams were in the Navy and stationed at Kingsville NAS for training, so they were mostly transient anyway.

The Motorola SS probably closed due to the changing economics of the oil field and ranch radio systems. I teamed up with the EF Johnson dealer in Corpus Christi and we put in multiple five-channel trunking systems all along the Rio Grande area since at the time cellular coverage was limited to large urban cities. These systems filled in the gaps in cell coverage since they allowed for telephone service as well as dispatch radio service.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Congratulations on the ticket. Look into echo link on the comp.
Also look for the app repeater book I use both on my phone .
Old 12-19-2017, 8:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Congratulations on your Technician License! It is an admirable feat to achieve!
Old 12-19-2017, 9:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Let the fun begin... Congrats from a fellow ham.. Couple web sites to check out; QRZ.com and Eham .net.... Bob N9RMA
Old 12-21-2017, 6:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Congrats on the Ticket.