RENEWAL OF HAM LIcense

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It is that time again for me to renew my Ham and GMRS licenses. I renewed my Ham license a couple weeks back. Does the FCC still mail paper license?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
It is that time again for me to renew my Ham and GMRS licenses. I renewed my Ham license a couple weeks back. Does the FCC still mail paper license?

Sorry, but no. They stopped mailing paper a couple of years back. You can download an "official" copy in .pdf format any time you want by logging into your FRN account.

edweirdFL

If you set the option in your account on the FCC's ILS system to request paper notifications, they will indeed send you a paper copy via US Mail of new licenses. It looks identical to the one that you can print yourself once logged into the system.

The default setting for newly created accounts is NO paper, only email.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
On the plus side, you can get yourself some expensive parchment type paper and print out a document that is suitable for framing.

RFI-EMI-GUY

If you set the option in your account on the FCC's ILS system to request paper notifications, they will indeed send you a paper copy via US Mail of new licenses. It looks identical to the one that you can print yourself once logged into the system.

The default setting for newly created accounts is NO paper, only email.

I did not know this Thanks!

RFI-EMI-GUY

Sure enough, there is now an option on ULS which defaults to paperless . I will wait to see if they mail me anything , if not I will load up ye olde printer with ye olde paper.

KD8DVR

On the plus side, you can get yourself some expensive parchment type paper and print out a document that is suitable for framing.
I got the basketweave security paper, similar to what the FCC used to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Otto

I think the one you download from the ULS has a watermark across is. Something like "official copy" or something like that.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I think the one you download from the ULS has a watermark across is. Something like "official copy" or something like that.

That is correct if you download it from within your FRN account. That applies to any license included with your FRN, not just your ham ticket. If I were to look up a license, I would only be able to download a REFERENCE COPY. That includes licenses for Part 95 GMRS, Part 90, and many other services.

Otto

That is correct if you download it from within your FRN account. That applies to any license included with your FRN, not just your ham ticket. If I were to look up a license, I would only be able to download a REFERENCE COPY. That includes licenses for Part 95 GMRS, Part 90, and many other services.

Hmm. I've only seen my licenses with the watermark. Are you saying that if I create an "account" on the ULS for my FRN, I can get a un-watermarked PDF version?

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Hmm. I've only seen my licenses with the watermark. Are you saying that if I create an "account" on the ULS for my FRN, I can get a un-watermarked PDF version?

Only if you order a printed copy from the FCC. Any downloaded license will be either REFERENCE or OFFICIAL watermarked.

You should already have that account if you renewed online.

n5ims

If you already have a FRN, you most likely already have an account. Log on to the ULS system using your FRN and password (more on this in a sec) and you should have access to your license information and can renew on-line at no cost, change your information, or many of the other tasks available through the ULS system.

Now, about your password (you don't know it, do you), simply click on the "Forgot Password?" link and create a new one. Make it something that you'll remember but not too easy to guess since you'll probably only use it once every decade or so (almost serious about that since the ham licenses are good for 10 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.