Crossing over to the dark side :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I have been a short wave listener since 1967. I enjoy the hobby and hopefully I will be able to keep it up for a long time to come. Earlier this week, I decided that I really should attempt to get my ticket. To reinforce that thought, I ordered an Icom IC-7300 transceiver. It should arrive Tuesday.

Initially I will use it for listening only, but having it sit on the tabletop hopefully should provide the incentive to actually study and take the Technician and General tests early this spring. Currently reviewing the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual and really not finding it that difficult. Evidently I have learned a few things over the last 50 years.

Looking forward for this new phase of the radio hobby.

--
Mike

N2AL

I have been a short wave listener since 1967. I enjoy the hobby and hopefully I will be able to keep it up for a long time to come. Earlier this week, I decided that I really should attempt to get my ticket. To reinforce that thought, I ordered an Icom IC-7300 transceiver. It should arrive Tuesday.

Initially I will use it for listening only, but having it sit on the tabletop hopefully should provide the incentive to actually study and take the Technician and General tests early this spring. Currently reviewing the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual and really not finding it that difficult. Evidently I have learned a few things over the last 50 years.

Looking forward for this new phase of the radio hobby.

--

Mike

Hi Mike and I welcome you to the upcoming hobby! HF is a great way to start in amateur radio! Once I was “bitten by the HF bug”, I drove deeply into it, and I am working to conquer my goal of placing every country into my logbook.

But aside from HF there are so many other modes and bands you can work! From DMR on 70 cm (UHF) to analog on 2m (VHF) and HF, you can go far! Personally I have been getting into Amateur Radio Satellites with VHF downlink and UHF uplink. They are easy to use with a small (and cheaply priced) portable radio, also called an HT.

If you have any questions with your HF setup, and other modes you can work in amateur radio, call upon hams in your area, or online on the forums.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
When you said "Crossing over to the dark side," I thought you were joining the Flat Earth Society or buying a Whistler, or something.

cmdrwill

I did not know "crossing over to the dark side'' means getting a Amateur radio license.

Welcome to the dark side, HAM Radio fun...

Yagi

Mike - congrats on the new Icom. That should be a fun addition to your other nice equipment..

Your Pro-1B should work pretty good for 40 meters. But you might consider getting a balun and some wire from Home Depot and put up a coaxial fed 20 meter dipole. On the higher HF bands lately it seems like I hear the most activity on 20. So an antenna for that band should make a good dedicated antenna. Plus when you pass the exam you'll be ready to go.

Even if you aren't interested in contests they can be a fun chance for a lot of easy contacts. The North American QSO party is on Saturday January 20. Set something like that as a goal to be on the air!

Good luck and have fun.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I did not know "crossing over to the dark side'' means getting a Amateur radio license.

Welcome to the dark side, HAM Radio fun...

And for the majority, it isn't the dark side, but as a 50 year listener I've heard a few (a "Capt Dave" springs to mind) that have less stellar reps. No offense was meant. :)

--
Mike

Spec

I too have been a SWL since 1960 give or take a year or so. Actually a Ute. guy. Some great listening in those years gone by. Never thought much of getting my ticket as it seemed to limit my listening. DX to Daylight was my game. After getting my ticket it filled in a blank spot so to speak. I get what you mean though.

scanmanmi

study and take the Technician and General tests
I recommend taking them both the same day. Check for a local ham or repeater group, they sometimes offer classes. I could have done it on my own but the class format was great for a more complete education and getting all my own questions answered. Two tips. 1) Get a physical printout of the questions and answers and black out ALL the wrong answers leaving only the correct ones. People fill their brains with wrong answers on these practice tests so don't take them. 2) download the Q&As podcast somewhere. Again one that does not list wrong answers to choose from but only the right answers. I listened to it on my way to the test and it was a BIG help. Welcome and nice avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.