Licensing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammechanic

First things first I am from Canada.

I am interested in amateur radio and radio use on logging roads and such for safety. That being said I am currently studying for my amateur radio license exam. But as I understand that license only cover 144-148 mhz I know some of the common frequencies like ladd 1-4 and the bc rr frequencies fall out of this range so my question is.....

What license do I need to be legal in say 149-174mhz and the 400's uhf range.

Thanks for your time.

Future ham enthusiast!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Look at the various posts in the Prairies section. Every radio service except CB and FRS/GMRS require a license in Canada. So contact your local Innovation, Science and Economic Development office [formerly Industry Canada] and they will fill you in on the license requirements for the 149-174 MHz and UHF. Regardless what many truckers will say, a license is required and you will require permission from companies to use their frequencies. Thus you are limited to 1 frequency for yourself. There are a number of restrictions on the LADD frequencies in western Canada which are largely ignored by truckers or they are ignorant of the rules. As is often said, ignorance is no excuse. ISED say that amateur radios CANNOT be used to transmit outside of the amateur frequencies. And occasionally they will set up at truck inspections and look at types of radios. A few years ago, a number of truckers were fined and lost their radios. Provided a commercial radio is originally has the capability to transmit on amateur frequencies this can be used for both amateur and industry use. However, if it was not originally designed to transmit on the amateur frequencies but modified to transmit on amateur frequencies, you must have an Advanced amateur license. Amateur radios are designed to specifically transmit on amateur frequencies and if modified, they may cause interference to licensed users outside of amateur frequencies. Thus an amateur radio license only authorizes you to transmit on amateur frequencies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.