RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 5:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink myGMRS.com Repeater Database

Well, I have to do it. I see this new subforum is empty, and I absolutely have to be the first to post.

For those of you not already aware, I run myGMRS.com, the largest repeater database for GMRS available on the web. Visit the site, browse a bit. To protect system owners, you must register with a valid GMRS license to be able to view the frequency and PL tones of repeaters. GMRS unfortunately can be plagued with ill-minded people who want to abuse repeaters, so requiring a callsign is necessary to protect the repeater owners.

For those of you in the New Jersey area, I also run the Central Jersey Radio Group which currently has a collection of 4 repeaters in NJ and PA.

myGMRS.com: www.mygmrs.com
CJRG: www.centraljerseyradio.org

myGMRS.com Repeater Directory
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2009, 5:37 PM

Nice site. I visited it a while ago when considering picking up a GMRS license and installing a UHF maxtrac at the house for the wife for my rural commute to and from work. Seeing the available repeaters in central Maryland (they do not exist) convinced me to not send off more money to the FCC.

I would be curious to hear a little about GMRS repeater pair coordination if anyone wants to chime in.
Old 03-05-2009, 6:09 PM
Founder and CEO
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Very nice Rich!
Old 03-05-2009, 6:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks James and Lindsay.

James, there may be repeaters in your area but not listed on the site yet. Some people are reluctant to list their systems at all, so your best bet is to become acquainted with a GMRS licensee who is local and knows what's around, or listen for repeaters yourself and try contacting the owners. Some people just don't want their systems to be in the spotlight.

The FCC said they plan to lower the GMRS license fee to $75 I believe. I don't remember specifics, but $85 is way too high especially in this economy. Such a high fee promotes unlicensed use.

GMRS repeater coordination exists only as a gentleman's agreement between owners. Actively monitor for open frequency pairs, be wary of PL tones which may be open on unused repeaters (which you may inadvertently key up when using your system), and come to an agreement with other owners to prevent interference. There will never be any official coordination on GMRS, however.

myGMRS.com Repeater Directory
Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The site needs a little boost, I have enter to the site from different computers and different internet conections and the pages sometimes wont load up and gives me errors