• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2QI

Is it 80 per annum? I'm thinking of letting my license lapse since I hardly get on GMRS anymore...

BTW, GMRS call is WQJM417.

K2QI

Sorry... should not have said per annum. Is it 80 every 5 years? Or is it a prorated fee after the initial 80 dollars?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's $80.00 to obtain the license, and it is good for 5 years. After that it is another $80.00, and again that covers 5 years.

SCPD

QRT
Everybody complains about the license fee that is good for 5 years and covers your whole family but no one complains about paying 80 bucks a month for a cell phone and IMO anyone with a blue tooth sticking out of their ear or a boom mic wrapped around their head looks stupid.

C

cqcqcq

Government wants you to empty your pockets at all times..MURS works better anyhow , like 2 meter simplex.

cqcqcq

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Im probably going to look into HAM next year but if i was rich :D I would take GMRS, HAM and MURS all around with me.. ill just put out a plan for it later

Oh and to add, I Know MURS is just the VHF CB.....

Last edited:

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
Rumor has it that the FCC was reducing the fee to $75 again, or thereabouts. To date it's still $85..

The fee should be a little more reasonable if they want licensed users. True, even at $85 the license is a good deal since it's good for 5 years and your family can use it, but on the surface, no one is going to pay for a $85 license unless they're a hardcore radio user who understands what it means to get licensed. Bubblepack users don't get licensed, 9 times out of 10, and a select few will learn to buy better radios and will cause problems with unlicensed repeaters and such. If the license were $20, it would be a totally different story. The number of licenses would go up, and maybe the demeanor of many users may improve.

fireSAR

Everybody complains about the license fee that is good for 5 years and covers your whole family but no one complains about paying 80 bucks a month for a cell phone and IMO anyone with a blue tooth sticking out of their ear or a boom mic wrapped around their head looks stupid.
Oh! believe me I complain about my Cell phone bill being $80 a month, If the FCC would let me have a autopatch on my GMRS I wouldn't have a cell phone. I also would love to put my GMRS repeater on viop too, but that not allowed. For $80? its too much.

gvt.you to empty your pockets at all times..MURS works better anyhow , like 2 meter simplex.
How is MURS better? you can't use it on a repeater and you can't use it over 5 watts. how is it better?

KC2OBW ham ticket is cheaper..
Ya, if you can get anyone on the repeater. Don't get me started on HAM.

Last edited:

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
How is 2 W simplex better that 50 watts on a repeater?

Exactly. Three of the repeaters in our radio group (Central Jersey Radio Group) each cover more than 40 miles running 50 watts. VHF repeaters would have been nice, but there's absolutely no way 2 watts on simplex is going to beat 50 watts on a properly set up repeater.

Now if only the FCC would allow linking! We'd have the entire NYC metro area linked up -- the repeaters are already in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.