RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 3:50 PM

Talking GMRS Radio

I would like to purchase a radio with all of the GMRS/FRS frequencies pre-programmed. My question, does anyone sell a radio that allows a user to do the following:

1. The ability (USER PROGRAMMABLE) to enter/select the PL/DPL for both the transmit and receive frequencies. This would allow access to most open repeaters. I remember the JT1000 allowed the user to program the frequencies and PL/DPL. I want to select a frequency and enter the PL/DPL instead of having a radio programmed to EVERY combination of GMRS/FRS frequency and PL/DPL.

Thank you,

MTS-2000
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2009, 4:03 PM
Not Posting

No.

You will not find a FRS/GMRS combination radio designed for repeater use. (at least I have never seen one)
Old 05-02-2009, 4:09 PM

FYI Mother Motorola is coming out with a new FRS/GMRS radio that will have the usual 22 channels and 8 repeater programmable channels. Model number is MR355R, power out is .5W and 1.5W.

Last edited by rfradioconsult; 05-02-2009 at 4:13 PM..
Old 05-03-2009, 3:25 AM

A Kenwood TK-350 will do that. It is field programmable. It can hold up to 160 channels if you program it from a computer and you can program the first 32 channels from the field. It is 4 watts.
Old 05-03-2009, 8:02 AM
Not Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanfan03 View Post
A Kenwood TK-350 will do that. It is field programmable. It can hold up to 160 channels if you program it from a computer and you can program the first 32 channels from the field. It is 4 watts.

But it is not a legal FRS radio.

rfradioconsult, Thanks for the tip on the MR355R. Cool radio.
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2009, 2:59 PM

The Icom IC-F21GM is a nice little preprogrammed commercial grade GMRS radio, that is repeater capable, but unfortunately it doesn't meet their specs. I'll withhold comment on why the need for split TX/RX capability is needed on GMRS other than to say it won't be compatible with any other radios that aren't programmed identically.
Old 05-04-2009, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
But it is not a legal FRS radio.

rfradioconsult, Thanks for the tip on the MR355R. Cool radio.

I guess I didn't understand what the OP was asking for. I thought he/she wanted a GMRS radio that had the 7 GMRS/FRS channels in it and the 7 GMRS repeater channels, not the 14 FRS channels. I figured that because he/she mentioned the JT1000 which is not legal on FRS either.
Old 05-04-2009, 6:41 AM
Not Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanfan03 View Post
I guess I didn't understand what the OP was asking for. I thought he/she wanted a GMRS radio that had the 7 GMRS/FRS channels in it and the 7 GMRS repeater channels, not the 14 FRS channels. I figured that because he/she mentioned the JT1000 which is not legal on FRS either.
I guess I assumed they wanted the FRS frequencies, since he said "FRS", but I could have been wrong.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Default Gmrs

I apologize for my original post----Please disregard my comment about seeking a GMRS/FRS radio. I only want a GMRS radio that is either user programmable and/or programmable from a PC. I need something reliable, rugged and easy to use.

MTS-2000
Old 05-23-2009, 12:37 PM

You can get a TK-380 also.

I'm sure it is not legal to use on FRS Freqs though.
Not that this would stop people.
Old 05-24-2009, 2:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default RE: GMRS radio

I have a pair of Icom F21GM radios.
I use on local repeaters. I am in the process of building a repeater of my own too.

They are available new for about $125 each. from GMRS Outlet.
You can sometimes find these on Ebay.
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ICOM-IC-F21GM-GMRS-UHF-Transceiver_W0QQitemZ110393463646QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZ2_Way_Radios_FRS?hash=item19b3f6935e&_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A 1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50<
Old 05-25-2009, 5:54 PM

As N_Jay stated, any radio that was not specifically built to FCC's specs for use on the FRS is illegal to use for FRS. I believe that applies to FRS and there are limitations for the shared FRS/GMRS. You have a lot more flexibility with the GMRS only channels so you should stick to GMRS.

Terrell

"Ham radio is one of the few slices of insanity that you actually have to test into..."
Old 05-25-2009, 7:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekshogun View Post
As N_Jay stated, any radio that was not specifically built to FCC's specs for use on the FRS is illegal to use for FRS. I believe that applies to FRS and there are limitations for the shared FRS/GMRS. You have a lot more flexibility with the GMRS only channels so you should stick to GMRS.
Those limitations on the shared FRS/GMRS channels are essentially:

-Limited to 5 watts ERP (Effective Radiated Power) -- 5 watts into a 1/4 wave antenna is roughly your power limit

-Antenna height must be under 20 ft (6.1 m)above the ground or structure (whichever is higher)

These restrictions are for a "small base station." The same 5 watt ERP power limit applies to handheld/mobile radios, but the antenna height does not matter unless your radio is being used in a "base" configuration (externally mounted antenna).

A big benefit of using the FRS/GMRS shared channels is that you can communication with high power to an unlicensed FRS station and vice versa. There's nothing prohibiting you from talking to an FRS unit as long as both sides are operating legally.

myGMRS.com Repeater Directory
Old 05-26-2009, 8:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Don't forget, a lot of Motorola radios have the MPL (Multiple Private Line) feature that allows you to choose from a list of user-programmed PL pairs. I have used this with excellent results, the only downside is that you must pre-program the PL pairs you want to use.
Old 05-31-2009, 7:05 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool Re;repeater capable gmrs/frs radio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
No.

You will not find a FRS/GMRS combination radio designed for repeater use. (at least I have never seen one)
Maxon model 210+3 looks a lot like the radio shack htx202. These were actually produced by icom for tandy corp. and maxon.
I still have a service manual around for one of these.
The one I have works pretty good.
N9ZAS.
Old 05-31-2009, 8:03 PM
Silent Key

The Icom F21GM can be programmed (by the associated software, if you know the 'trick' to it) for split PL/DCS, but not without the program.

Tags
gmrs, programmable