• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Any MURS users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyshrink

To MURS or NOT to MURS....

... THAT is the question!

I have been a MURS user for over a year now, and have found it virtually useless. I have one freq that is not usable in my area because of severe interference, and the others are dominated by businesses. I am also a GMRS user, which takes care of my family comm needs, and a ham which covers emergency needs.

I went to MURS because I wanted to have full capability when I go 4-wheeling or riding with buddies. This has not materialized as much as I wanted, and when it did noone used MURS.

I hate to take MURS ouit of my truck and lose the capability, but on the other hand, it is a waste of space in my already cramped dash.

I think MURS will be disconnected like HAL

I live in northern hunterdon nj near hampton nj. if there are any area users i will pull out my 19-1210 mobile and put it on 154.570 and 154.600 both csq.

lmk.

I will use an indoor 1/4 wave ground plane.

hockeyshrink

Very good. I used one of those for GMRS for a while, but I used a 5db gain antenna and it was outside. Worked great.

SCPD

QRT
MURS calling freq

There is one business on MURS in the Detroit area, the Bridge to Canada. Is there a calling freq for this band? I have an old Moto handheld I could program up if these freqs are active.

hockeyshrink

There is one business on MURS in the Detroit area, the Bridge to Canada. Is there a calling freq for this band? I have an old Moto handheld I could program up if these freqs are active.

There were folks looking for agreement for "MURS 1" (151.82 Mhz, CSQ) as a calling frequency for MURS; HOWEVER, I think most MURS users prefer to keep their operation among their group and are not interested in ham or CB type contacts with other OPs.

There was a heated debate on this topic in the murs Yahoo group.

canichols

I have 154.600 CSQ programed in my HT only because they use it at my local walmart. the other stores i have been to use 145.570.

roadranger

Getting some use...

After we discovered that the usual FRS Audiovox radios won't cooperate, I decided to pull out the MURS bubble packs. This way I can monitor the kids with my barely used RS HTX-122. Then I let another kid use the noisy RS BC-10 (?) I know that the RCI 1000 doesn't charge too well, so I released finally, a Tekk-Com radio for my daughter. Now, most of the kids can team up and play together as teams in any game. Seems like they all know that they can talk to me any time they want. Ha! the Green channel is busy in my neighborhood! One kid has already said that he has heard another "beep." Maybe the nearby Walmart is catching a little kiddie hell from us!

roadranger

Ranger Communications...

It seems that a second look at the RCI 1000, that it will TX, with no audio. Two channels, BLUE an RED. I'll charge it over night just to see if it will pass audio a little better. Actually, I can barely hear myself through another radio txing on the RCI1000.

hockeyshrink

getting use out of MURS

...Now, most of the kids can team up and play together as teams in any game. Seems like they all know that they can talk to me any time they want. Ha! the Green channel is busy in my neighborhood! One kid has already said that he has heard another "beep." Maybe the nearby Walmart is catching a little kiddie hell from us!

I was about to trash all my MURS stuff, but meddleman talked me out of it ;)

My kids live with their mom a little over a mile from me over hilly terrain. My son and I experimented with GMRS, but he could not make the trip to me with a HT. However, when he is in his upstairs room on a MURS HT, we can have a great connection. I have a base antenna 20' AGL at my place, and we have CTCSS on the radios so we don't hear the businesses. (yes, we do MON before talking and will change channels if busy, otherwise we can't hear each other) I now monitor MURS at home and in the mobile around town. He can reach me easily without having to pickup a phone...the radio is more fun, lol. This has turned out to "redeem" MURS for me, and now he is interested in getting his ham ticket -- at 11.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.