• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firepack

I'm thinking about getting a VHF vertex 2 way radio for my jeep. Do I need a license? If so where do I apply for one at? Thanks!

adamdavis

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
If you want to use a VHF radio you could look into and paying lots more for a commercial license.

canav844

If you check out GMRS outlet they give a little more explication on getting into GMRS on the proper mobile level (not the weak bubble pack stuff) But they're icom bias, so take a look at the equivalent Vertex radios, and yes it is UHF version that you'll need. If your jeep buddies are talking about having VHF not GMRS radios, then they're probably talking about the 2m HAM band, in which case take a look at the ARRL's website for info on getting your technical license.

hockeyshrink

If you want to use a VHF radio you could look into and paying lots more for a commercial license.

Dude, you really need to think about what your communications needs are. Like canav844 mentioned, do you need to talk to buddies in the bush? If so, y'all need to be in the same piece of radio spectrum.

VHF ham is great and will give you all kinds of access to repeaters and options. Slight hurdle is that you and your buddies need to pass a short 35 question test to get you on the VHF air. Morse code not required. Well worth it!!

The commercial license alternative mentioned above will be expensive, but you will have an assigned a frequency to work on. Problem there is that any new guys coming into the group will have to get YOUR frequency programmed into their radio, which is a hassle.

A relatively inexpensive VHF alternative that does NOT require a license is MURS - Multi-Use Radio Service. ( Multi-Use Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki ) You get 2 watts of power with an external antenna and 5 freqs to use. Can be handhelds or mobile. Downside is that there aren't that many "MURS" radios out there, so most people used old public safety or business equipment that has been programmed for MURS freqs and reduced power output.

Now, my big question: Why are you looking for a VHF solution? Why not get a "CB" radio, especially one that can operate SSB? They are plentiful, no license, great for the field, and will give you 12 watts PEP on SSB.

If you must go VHF, my suggestion: Take the plunge, take the test, and go ham. You just need to convince your buddies. Next best alternative IMHO is MURS. There is usable equipment out there at a reasonable price.

Good luck!
Al

mrweather

And if they spend their time bouncing around in the bush a CB may actually work better because the lower frequency isn't attenuated by the foliage as much as VHF and, especially, UHF is.

Status
Not open for further replies.