• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

rebroadcast over repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

In general NO.

Without providing the radio service you are in, and the reasons for the rebroadcast, and if you have permission, I would not know for sure.

But given you are asking here, I would say a close to definite NO!

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
You would be rebroadcasting Part 90 traffic onto a Part 95 repeater without authorization, this would not be looked upon favorably even though there is nothing specific in the rules like there is in Part 97 but these parts in 95 pretty much sums it up:

Sec. 95.101 What the license authorizes.

(a) A GMRS license authorizes a GMRS station to transmit messages to
other GMRS stations at any geographical location within or over the
territorial limits of any area where radio services are regulated by the
FCC. These points are listed in Appendix A.
(b) The license does not authorize operation as a common carrier or
communication of messages for pay.

Sec. 95.183 Prohibited communications......

(13) Messages (except emergency messages) to any station in the
Amateur Radio Service, to any unauthorized station, or to any foreign
station;

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The only thing that you can rebroadcast on a repeater system LEGALLY either in the amateur or gmrs service would be a NWS alert to the general public,but NOTHING else!
N9ZAS.

gewecke

Banned
Why would one want to? No one can talk on the repeater if you have it hosed up.

What do you mean hosed up? NWS could be broadcast on a alert only basis. This would not tie up the system if this is what you meant.
N9ZAS.
WPOK 400

Moto_Jedi

The only thing that you can rebroadcast on a repeater system LEGALLY either in the amateur or gmrs service would be a NWS alert to the general public,but NOTHING else!
N9ZAS.
Just curious how you came to the conclusion that rebroadcasting a NWS alert to the general public through a GMRS repeater is allowed? I guess you've never read the part 95 rules pertaining to GMRS...

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
So it is not legal to rebroadcast say a FD or PD feed over a GMRS repeater?
Also, if you have a GMRS license, do you need a special repeater license and coordination from the FCC to operate a GMRS repeater?

gewecke

Banned
Just curious how you came to the conclusion that rebroadcasting a NWS alert to the general public through a GMRS repeater is allowed? I guess you've never read the part 95 rules pertaining to GMRS...

If it is traffic pertaining to "life and safety" and it intended to be disseminated to the general public,then it is permissible to broadcast an alert. General Mobile Radio Service is inteneded for the general public to hear,and after this question has been asked and answered many times in queries to the fcc in chicago il. it should no longer be an issue.
N9ZAS

gewecke

Banned
So it is not legal to rebroadcast say a FD or PD feed over a GMRS repeater?
Also, if you have a GMRS license, do you need a special repeater license and coordination from the FCC to operate a GMRS repeater?

No. Police and fire comms fall under the electronic communications privacy act of 1934,and are not intended to be broadcast to the general public.
Coordination and licensing for a gmrs repeater can be done online. FCC form 610 used to be used for this years ago when I started,but I'm not sure if this form is still available anymore,but online is much easier.
Hope this helps.
73's!
N9ZAS
WPOK 400

Moto_Jedi

If it is traffic pertaining to "life and safety" and it intended to be disseminated to the general public,then it is permissible to broadcast an alert. General Mobile Radio Service is inteneded for the general public to hear,and after this question has been asked and answered many times in queries to the fcc in chicago il. it should no longer be an issue.
N9ZAS
GMRS is intended for short range communications between families and other licensed individuals, not for broadcasting ANYTHING to the general public. Anyone interested in receiving NWS weather alerts would be carrying a VHF radio capable of receiving them, not relying on an individual with a GMRS repeater to determine what may be an emergency for the "general public" and then rebroadcasting it.

It remains an issue because people like you continue to propagate false information. You mentioned that you've queried the FCC many times on this subject. How many different answers have you received from the lay clerks at the FCC, who can answer no more than general questions, before you got one that coincided with what you wanted to hear?

commstar

Premium Subscriber
You would be rebroadcasting Part 90 traffic onto a Part 95 repeater without authorization, this would not be looked upon favorably even though there is nothing specific in the rules like there is in Part 97 but these parts in 95 pretty much sums it up:

Sec. 95.101 What the license authorizes.

(a) A GMRS license authorizes a GMRS station to transmit messages to
other GMRS stations at any geographical location within or over the
territorial limits of any area where radio services are regulated by the
FCC. These points are listed in Appendix A.
(b) The license does not authorize operation as a common carrier or
communication of messages for pay.

Sec. 95.183 Prohibited communications......

(13) Messages (except emergency messages) to any station in the
Amateur Radio Service, to any unauthorized station, or to any foreign
station;

Interesting subject.

Just to clear the air, can anyone come up with a citation of law that clearly applies......

95.101 above does not seem preclude this activity within the conditions stated.

95.183 above also does not seem to preclude the activity as long you are transmitting to another GMRS licensee and not for pay.

I wish to add to the conversation WFNE715 which is a local airport maintainance frequency that crossband transmits AM aircraft unicom traffic onto 453.5000 fulltime for airfield personnel use.

One cannot transmit back into the air band from 453.5000 only listen.

In reviewing the license, i see no type of special authorization to accomplish this.

In my view, there are some simliarities between the two situations- non-phonepatch, crossband re-transmit from another service to another for a licensed audience.

Sounds like what the OP wants to do to me.

So why does one work and the other scenario does not?

Anyone? I can't come up with a citation of law that clearly fits.

BTW, i agree this is likely not legal but i just cannot find where.
Respectfully,
Mike

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Interesting subject.

Just to clear the air, can anyone come up with a citation of law that clearly applies......

95.101 above does not seem preclude this activity within the conditions stated.

95.183 above also does not seem to preclude the activity as long you are transmitting to another GMRS licensee and not for pay.

I wish to add to the conversation WFNE715 which is a local airport maintainance frequency that crossband transmits AM aircraft unicom traffic onto 453.5000 fulltime for airfield personnel use.

One cannot transmit back into the air band from 453.5000 only listen.

In reviewing the license, i see no type of special authorization to accomplish this.

In my view, there are some simliarities between the two situations- non-phonepatch, crossband re-transmit from another service to another for a licensed audience.

Sounds like what the OP wants to do to me.

So why does one work and the other scenario does not?

Anyone? I can't come up with a citation of law that clearly fits.

BTW, i agree this is likely not legal but i just cannot find where.
Respectfully,
Mike

I'm sure the County is licensed to the unicom as well as the UHF frequency and does so under it's business description to the FCC (90.17a) so they are within their operational right to do so.

The OP is not licensed to the Part 90 traffic and only has a GMRS license that IMO doesn't give him the blanket authority to re-broadcast someone else's traffic on a "shared frequency".

Don_Burke

I suppose a case could be made that the retransmission of some other service on GMRS is "broadcasting," which brings up other issues.

I have not looked over the GMRS regs in a while. Is there a limit on the length of a transmission?

gewecke

Banned
GMRS is intended for short range communications between families and other licensed individuals, not for broadcasting ANYTHING to the general public. Anyone interested in receiving NWS weather alerts would be carrying a VHF radio capable of receiving them, not relying on an individual with a GMRS repeater to determine what may be an emergency for the "general public" and then rebroadcasting it.

It remains an issue because people like you continue to propagate false information. You mentioned that you've queried the FCC many times on this subject. How many different answers have you received from the lay clerks at the FCC, who can answer no more than general questions, before you got one that coincided with what you wanted to hear?

It's only false because that's how you want to interpret it terry. But you were not there for the conversation,I was. You're entitle to your own.
N9ZAS

Moto_Jedi

It's only false because that's how you want to interpret it terry. But you were not there for the conversation,I was. You're entitle to your own.
N9ZAS
No, it's false because there is absolutely no provision in the part 95 written rules and regulations now, or ever, that allows for any one way "broadcasts" or "rebroadcasts" of ANYTHING over the GMRS, which is intended as a simple two-way voice communication service. In fact, the rules specifically prohibit what you're insisting is OK.

Just because you claim to have had some kind of conversation with whomever, doesn't mean you have the final and definitive answer that it's OK to "broadcast" on a limited number of shared GMRS frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.