RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 3:46 PM

The notice of proposed rulemaking has been officially posted as of 07/09/2010.

So you will have till 08/08/2010 to post a comment.

Last edited by Hatchett; 07-09-2010 at 4:11 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2010, 6:46 PM

Default Comment deadline not yet set

FCC release of the NPRM does not set the deadline for filing comments. The deadline is set when the Federal Register publishes the NPRM, which has not yet happened.

The NPRM says on the face of it that the deadline is 30 days after FR publication so why not just abide by what it says.

The FCC has already received lots of comments, though some are just copies of a master template.

There is an excellent guideline, but not a template, at:

PRSG HomePage
Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

This will be interesting to see the comments and the outcome of what is to come or none at all.
Old 09-13-2010, 1:37 PM

Default GMRS Rules.

I use GMRS as a member of REACT. I think that part90 equipment should be able to stay. I think that Repeaters should be allowed. I think that service should still be licensed. Bubble pack Radios be kept low power. I don't want to see this turn into a Bubble pack only service. GMRS has its place,. I will wait & see what the FCC proposes.
Old 09-14-2010, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APX6000 View Post
I will wait & see what the FCC proposes.
You're going to wait and see what the FCC proposes? The FCC proposed it months ago.

If you believe the things you say you believe, you'll file comments with the FCC. More than 200 comments are on record. But time is running out. Reply comments are due next Monday.

PRSG HomePage
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2010, 8:21 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If I never read another bad paraphrasing from JFK again it will be too soon (just finished reading all submitted comments). :|
For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Silent Key

The FCC has not yet proposed any actual rule changes.

The docket currently under comment/reply comments is a DISCUSSION of potential changes, none of which are given as any specific rule changes.

As in, 'We're thinking this, or this, or this might be good ideas. What do you think would be the best choice?'

Once this docket has gone through comment, we'll see another NPRM with actual proposed rules.
Old 09-14-2010, 3:42 PM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSanders View Post

The docket currently under comment/reply comments is a DISCUSSION of potential changes, none of which are given as any specific rule changes.

As in, 'We're thinking this, or this, or this might be good ideas. What do you think would be the best choice?'

Once this docket has gone through comment, we'll see another NPRM with actual proposed rules.
It is my understanding that the proposed part is over, hence why the title of the document is called NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULE MAKING
AND MEMORANDUM OPINION AND ORDER ON RECONSIDERATION
Old 09-14-2010, 6:46 PM
Silent Key

NPRM is a catch all 'legal' phrase.

PROPOSED 'rule making' can be specific rules (which this one isn't), or a request for discussion of possible, but not yet decided on, changes.

Once the Commission decides what specific changes they are going to make (anyone think they never would have proposed 'delicensing' unless they are darn well determined to do just that, unless someone gives them a darn good REASON, not a whine that it will 'destroy GMRS'?), THEN they will put out another NPRM with specific changes (95.xxxx, thou shalt not use more than 2 watts output power, etc), and that will again be subject to comments, etc, like all other NPRM's.
Old 09-14-2010, 7:31 PM

Well we will see. I plan to keep a close eye on this.
Old 10-11-2010, 9:05 AM

Quote:

Your statements have no basis in fact.

The NPRM proposes extensive rule changes, not just discussion of changes. Or haven't you read Appendixes B and C?

Here are some of my "favorites" (NOT) from Appendix C:

95.33 Removed: Cooperative Use (GMRS)
95.105 Removed: License term (GMRS)
95.119 Removed: Station identification (GMRS)
... the list goes on.

Last edited by Dantian; 10-11-2010 at 9:40 AM..
Old 10-11-2010, 9:24 AM

Quote:
NPRM is a catch all 'legal' phrase.

PROPOSED 'rule making' can be specific rules (which this one isn't), or a request for discussion of possible, but not yet decided on, changes.

Once the Commission decides what specific changes they are going to make [snip] THEN they will put out another NPRM with specific changes (95.xxxx, thou shalt not use more than 2 watts output power, etc), and that will again be subject to comments, etc, like all other NPRM's.
"Which this one isn't"? The proposed rules in this NPRM start on page 36 (Appendix B). That Appendix is titled ... wait for it .... "Proposed Rules". What a concept!

B is followed by Appendix C, "Cross-Reference Tables for Existing and Proposed Rules." (page 88).

If the FCC didn't propose rules, and want the public to compare the old and proposed new rules, why are B and C in the NPRM?

Why did the FCC say "Part 95 is ... proposed to be amended as follows" and "Part 95 is deleted in its entirety and a new Part 95 is added to read as follows" (page 43)?

The FCC has proposed changes to the GMRS and other Personal Radio Services, not just discussed them, and once this NPRM is complete the rules will have been changed. Unless:

* The FCC is persuaded to throw the dumb parts out the window and start fresh; or

* The FCC issues a FNPRM (Further NPRM) with more or different rules changes.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Default GMRS License Database Frozen?

Several of the local guys GMRS licenses have expired including mine but are still shown as active. I suppose the FCC is not updating the records until the NPRM is finished.

RS
Old 12-23-2010, 1:15 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Any clue on when this will be? I just got a renewal notice in the mail and want to renew, but if they are dropping the license requirement, then I'll keep my $85.00...
Old 12-23-2010, 6:40 PM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

Does anyone feel as though they are jumping through hoops? Got to love the F(C
Old 12-28-2010, 8:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

VHF/UHF Narrowbanding Information

On January 1, 2013, all public safety and business industrial land mobile radio systems operating in the 150-512 MHz radio bands must cease operating using 25 kHz efficiency technology, and begin operating using at least 12.5 kHz efficiency technology. This deadline is the result of an FCC effort that began almost two decades ago to ensure more efficient use of the spectrum and greater spectrum access for public safety and non-public safety users. Migration to 12.5 kHz efficiency technology (once referred to as Refarming, but now referred to as Narrowbanding) will allow the creation of additional channel capacity within the same radio spectrum, and support more users.

After January 1, 2013, licensees not operating at 12.5 KHz efficiency will be in violation of the Commission's rules and could be subject to FCC enforcement action, which may include admonishment, monetary fines, or loss of license.

Narrowbanding
Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 PM

My license status is now expired. No use until the new regulations come out. I wonder if their is any schedule to finish the new and improved Part 95.

Bob
Old 01-06-2011, 9:04 AM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just renewed my license. It's $85.00 and maybe they'll consider not changing anything and if they do, I hope that they'll refund my money.
Old 01-07-2011, 2:00 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
Just renewed my license. It's $85.00 and maybe they'll consider not changing anything and if they do, I hope that they'll refund my money.
Some how I don't think they would Refund that money to you . But I may be wrong .
But i'm not holding my breath .
Old 01-07-2011, 2:27 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I only hope that they don't have to. I just received the grant notice today and the new expiration date is 10 Mar 2016.

Tags