• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS to RS Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkins

Please forgive me for this noob question. I was wondering if I can hookup a Motorola t5410 to my Radio Shack scanner via a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable?

Thanks
-Joey

Porkins

What are you trying to do?

Well, my scanner is a bulky base model and it will look kinda funny with a inverter sitting in the passenger seat. I'm trying to hookup it so when I'm out rail fanning about 1-5 miles away I can hear Northfolk southern on my other T5410 in the car.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm trying to wrap my head around what you're trying to do? Are you trying to receive the railroad on your scanner in your car? Ok,yeah scanners will do this,but why the gmrs talkie?:roll:
Do not connect your talkie to your scanner if you like them,because they won't like you!
n9zas

SkipSanders

Silent Key
You do, hopefully, realize that broadcasting isn't allowed on GMRS, right?

Plus, you'll be lucky to get 1 mile range on GMRS units, especially with one inside a car.

Porkins

You do, hopefully, realize that broadcasting isn't allowed on GMRS, right?

Plus, you'll be lucky to get 1 mile range on GMRS units, especially with one inside a car.

Yes, I have found out. I mean I live in rural georgia and I HIGHLY doubt that anyone would pick it up out here in the back woods. It wouldn't be on 24/7, just the hour or so I'm out at the tracks. Yes, I know that would be rule breaking. If there is no one in my area to hear it what would be the big deal.

He wants the scanner at home tuned to the rail freq to feed into the gmrs radio #1 at home to transmit to gmrs radio #2 a few miles away:wink:

Thank you. That is what I wanted to do. I'm on a budget and have this equipment onhand. Thought maybe I wouldn't have to shell out $84 for a nascar handheld scanner for my car.

Last edited:

Porkins

From what you guys are telling, I guess I will just break down and buy a Uniden BC72XLT. Any recommends on a good antenna for the BC72XLT? Thanks for all help.

N8IAA

Since you are sitting at the tracks, the supplied rubber duck will work for railfanning.
FWIW-hooking up the scanner to transmit on the GMRS radio would definitely cost more than the BC72.
Larry

Porkins

Since you are sitting at the tracks, the supplied rubber duck will work for railfanning.
FWIW-hooking up the scanner to transmit on the GMRS radio would definitely cost more than the BC72.
Larry

Thank you Larry. I'll have to order one on payday.

Status
Not open for further replies.